FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's a bird? A plane? Oh, a B-52 carrying nukes....!!!

Author Topic: It's a bird? A plane? Oh, a B-52 carrying nukes....!!!
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that this could happen. A squadron commander removal and the decertification of the munitions crew is pretty serious. Dang.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Paging Dr. Strangelove. I believe our precious bodily fluids may be under attack! Where is Slim Pickens when you need him?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It went right over our state. However, they have said the warheads were NOT armed or ready, so even if the plane had crashed, they would not have detonated....

So I'm not sure why this was such a big deal, other than a breach of protocol.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

HUUUUGE breach of protocol. And from an organization that loves protocol more than they do cute little kittycats. A lot more. Which is one of the reasons I think I'm getting out. I like kittycats way more than I do protocol.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the sort of breach of protocols that will result in many heads rolling, possibly including some upper brass.

The problem isn't that there were (unexplodable) nukes flying over, the problem is the laxity that allowed it to happen, reflecting what is possibly an incredible lack of competence far up the chain of command.

And it wasn't just nukes being flown over, it was nukes being taken out of a warehouse without a proper order, several nukes being taken out of a warehouse with an order to only let one out at once, nukes being loaded on the wings of plane without anyone noticing the warheads looked sort of funny, et cetera.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to stay in, just get a kittycat and name it Protocol. Then you'll both love Protocol just the same. Problem solved.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, Noemon.

And someone evidently forgot to plug in their brain one morning.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
This is scary, but now that it's been safely resolved it's kind of funny when you think about it. I bet this is appearing in the "Odd News" sections of some newspapers in foreign countries.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
More like the Entertainment section [Smile]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So how do they normally transfer them? I get that the problem is protocol, but the headlines aren't saying that; your thread title least of all.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The nuclear weapons expert said the air force keeps a computerized command and control system that traces any movement of a nuclear weapon so that they have a complete picture of where they are at any given time.

He said there would be checks and detailed procedures at various points from the time they are moved out of bunkers until they are loaded onto planes, and flown away.

"That's perhaps what is most worrisome about this particular incident -- that apparently an individual who had command authority about moving these weapons around decided to do so," he said.

"It's a command and control issue and it's one that calls into question the system, because if one individual can do that who knows what can happen," he said.

Nuclear weapons are normally transferred on cargo planes, never on the wings of bombers, Kristensen said. Bomber flights with live nuclear weapons ended in the late 1960s after accidents in Spain in 1966 and in Greenland in 1968.

link
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Rail.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part is this:
quote:
According to the officials, the weapons are designed with multiple safety features that ensure the warheads don't accidentally detonate.
Kinda like, oh, I dunno...multiple checks in the process of getting to put nukes on the wings of planes and send the planes to fly around! Wheeeeeee!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC has an interesting spin:

Link to story on BBC News website

quote:
It follows reports in the Army Times that five missiles were unaccounted for during the three-hour flight from North Dakota to Louisiana.
That the bombs were unaccounted for for three hours is a rather worrying suggestion.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
See why didn't that stupid movie Broken Arrow use this premise? It would have looked silly having the army accidentally rather then intentionally attaching nukes to a plane on a test flight. But when this news event occured it would have vindicated the plot!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the apparent lax security is more concerning than nuclear warheads flying over the US. If it's that easy for certain people in command to do those sorts of things relatively autonomously, what happens when someone blackmails them into removing a warhead from storage and then "losing track" of it?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Norwegian newspapers I read, they put it in as a regular news item, the headlines being respectively "Oops! We've got nukes on board!" and "Heads will roll". It takes quite a lot for news from the US to be put in the 'weird stuff' section. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first heard about this, besides being a very troubling breach of protocol, my husband said he thought that placing the bombs on the bomber wings would also constitute a violation of treaties we have in place with several other nuclear powers. None of the news reports have mentioned it and I've been unable to find any firm information, but just imagine how would the US would react to a foreign country "accidentally" flying bombers with nukes on them....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Laughter?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti: that is probably so, but I suspect Russia's enjoying things too much to bother raising a stink over a treaty, and I almost think that if they do mention it, the statement will run like "While the incident did violate the treaty, we find ourselves unable to object much to those US violations that make it more likely to nuke itself."
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to go with laughter.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I find most surprising about this incident is that nobody has used the phrase 'nukes on a plane'.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Gah! I feel sheepish.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.