FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Madeleine L’Engle, 89, died (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Madeleine L’Engle, 89, died
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Question for my fellow geeks. I was talking to a friend tonight and we were talking about A Wrinkle in Time and we both mentioned that after we had read the book as kids we spent a lot of time drawing cubes on paper and trying to cube the cube.

What we're trying to figure out is how odd this was. Anyone else attempt to do this, or were we alone?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Question for my fellow geeks. I was talking to a friend tonight and we were talking about A Wrinkle in Time and we both mentioned that after we had read the book as kids we spent a lot of time drawing cubes on paper and trying to cube the cube.

What we're trying to figure out is how odd this was. Anyone else attempt to do this, or were we alone?

You are NOT alone. Believe me.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hypercube.svg
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Or http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9286/8celltc1.gif
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone...

When I was in junior high, I went to a camp for gifted and talented kids and there were some of us who spent the whole night of the dance (one of the culminating events of the camp) using string and desks in an attempt to create a replica of the "fourth dimension". Yeah... we were geeks.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sorry to hear about her death. A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first science fiction books I read.

I keep staring at those cubes and I still can't get it to look like anything but a three-dimensional mess of edges. I guess I'm just not one of those people who "get" higher dimensions like that. Oh well.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
She lived a really, really full life. And I know she is at peace in death-- everything she wrote spoke of the power of love and faith. But like all her fans, I am saddened to lose her.

hear hear...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelagius
Member # 10965

- posted      Profile for Pelagius   Email Pelagius         Edit/Delete Post 
Think I'll go and re-read them all for good measure... [Cry]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person who didn't realise she was still alive? [Blushing]
Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 345

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl           Edit/Delete Post 
You're not the only one. Boy, do I feel out of it.

I just read ASTP for the first time just a couple of weeks before she passed. I'm still thinking about it.

Rest in peace, madame. And thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.