FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm a senior....

Author Topic: I'm a senior....
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Yes. I'm a senior. Class of '08!! (Our unofficial slogan is DAMN STRAIGHT '08).

I am so:
-excited
-amazed
-terrified
-depressed

about this.

On the first day of school, we all wore our specially-made senior t-shirts (where we get all this money, I have no clue) and we all cheered and blew those party horn thingies during assembly. It was an amazing feeling.
On the other hand, I'm terrified because I can't project my mind farther than eight or nine months into the future and have any idea where I'll be in that time. That's something I've never felt before. I've been at the same school since I was five. I'm working on applying to college but I've basically JUST started that process and it's totally overwhelming.
I can't imagine leaving everyone I've known my entire life. I know that I will never again have the kind of friends I have now. I'm also being beseiged by all kinds of regrets, that are not even rational. I've had plenty of fun times and amazing experiences, but I just wish I could have more. Now that high school is in its last quarter, I'm trying to do everything in these last few months that I regret not doing before. It's kind of a giddy feeling, but also a panicky one. I want to get everything in before these days are over. I want to do things that I've never done before. I just hope I'll have time for it all and won't take up too much of my time with COLLEGE stuff.

To any freshman or sophomores (if there are any of you on Hatrack) I have a message: DON'T WAIT! Find out what your passions are and then ACT on them, even if the possibility terrifies you! Graduation may seem a long way away now but it comes so fast!

To any other seniors: what are YOU rhyming "08" with?

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
What advice do you have for juniors? [Embarrassed]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow babies. I guess I'm a senior too, though I won't be graduating in 08.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the class of 08 too, but I'm also the first graduating class. Yay!

I'm not so much dwelling on the high school memories, as I am looking forward to college. I know there will be plenty of people there to befriend, so I'm not worried about that. I am anxious about applications, seeing as I haven't started, and my worst habit is procrastination.

Where were you thinking of applying? I'm pretty sure I'm going with an early decision to CSU Chico. It's in state, but far enough from home so that I'm not pressured into eating dinner with my parents every friday night.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

I'm thinking of applying to Skidmore, Elon, Bryn Mawr College, Middlebury, UC Berkeley, and University of MD (my home state, safe college option).
Skidmore is my favorite!!

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
What advice do you have for juniors? [Embarrassed]

That it will one day be over and senior year is better. [Razz]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon here goes to skidmore (he's a real life friend of mine).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a senior and I'm finding it hard to get excited at the moment because of the ridiculous number of college apps I have to write. Apparently my parents could get away with 4, but now I have to deal with 10.

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
On the first day of school, we all wore our specially-made senior t-shirts (where we get all this money, I have no clue) and we all cheered and blew those party horn thingies during assembly. It was an amazing feeling.

Wow. Your school actually has school spirit. My school doesn't even bother having welcome back assemblies and everyone skips the pep rally. The only people who know the stats of our sports teams are the players and the coaches.

EDIT: I would just like to clarify that I don't dislike my school. I just find it curious that other schools seem to have a lot of "school spirit" whereas mine has practically none.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My school has school spirit... And I am a senior this year too.

We get a cool celebration though, my class is the start of the 100th year of my high school. The Juniors this year will be the 100th class to graduate.

So we're doing some pretty nifty school parties.

My class schedule is pretty funky. We do the block schedule, meaning we do half of our classes one day, the other half on the second. My 'A' days are my 'harder' classes. Meteorology, Statistics, English 1010, and AP Political Science. My 'B' days are kind of a joke. [Smile] AP Research, Sci-Fi Fantasy, and two debate classes.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
W00t! A possible future Skiddie! I am indeed currently a junior at Skidmore College. If there's anything you need help with Skidmore related, any questions and what not, feel free to fire me an e-mail and I'll be happy to help you out with em. Or just, you know, ask em here, but I'm not likely to check this thread again anytime soon. My posting drops out the bottom when the semester starts cause I have this bad habit of taking the maximum credit load and trying to play frisbee at the same time and still have a social life.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I will remind him if I see that you've posted anything for him here.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I too, am a senior. My main sentiments towards this year are to make the most of it, and remember all the fun stuff that I've done up to this point, and realize that college will be cool. I just started doing applications... But I only plan on doing a few: I'm applying to University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and probably Northwestern... I sometimes think whether or not I should apply to Ivy leagues, or things like that, but I'd rather be near my family and every other person I've ever met in my life (more or less), and they'll be in or near michigan. So yeah, college applications are a bit stressful...
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Any advice for freshmen?

Oh, and go Blue, even though they lost to Appalachian State.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I moved about 8.5 hours away from my home to start college exactly one (1) fortnight ago. My advice:

Enjoy your last year. Become tighter friends with ones you already have- meet up with old friends and regain your relationships. Go to people that you don't really like and try and settle the differences.

And the other thing- my biggest worry about leaving high school was that I hadn't done enough- that I was too forgettable and that I didn't make a big enough difference in the lives of my classmates and teachers. Avoid that feeling.

But know this- this feeling will soon pass and you'll be out of high school- in college- time comes. We cannot avoid it- embrace it and love it.

*advice from a college freshman*

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from a guy turning 31 tomorrow:

Your twenties are better. Don't stress out about what you can't fit in now, you'll only have better means and ability later on.

But by all means enjoy the opportunities you do get now. You are 18 only once, after all.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some advice for all the HS seniors: Find out about financial aid NOW, unless you and/or your parents already have sufficient funds set aside to pay for all four (or five) years of college.

Do you know what a FAFSA is? (Please note, NEVER go to fafsa.com or any other site that makes you pay to file your FAFSA. That first F stands for FREE. Not only is there no reason to pay $50-$200 for someone to do what will take you 15 minutes, IME they frequently mis-enter data, forcing you to do corrections, or even causing you to be verified when you would not otherwise have been. (Verified = lots of additional paperwork))

Have you used the FAFSA4Caster yet? Do you know what the deadlines are for your state and your school? Every fall I get students in my office who would have qualified for CalGrants, IF ONLY they had filled out the FAFSA and one tiny other form by the previous March 2. Almost $10 grand per year, gone. And March 1 or 2 is the most common state deadline, so California students are not alone.

More useful links:
http://www.mapping-your-future.org
http://www.edwise.org
http://www.fastweb.com
http://www.finaid.org
http://going2college.org
http://studentaid.ed.gov

Timeline for high school seniors (has links to timeline for younger students as well)

Good luck! And I'm happy to answer questions, on the board or by email. (Just put Hatrack in the subject line, so I know you're not spam. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Rivka.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a college senior...does that count? So I too am dealing with applications. However, I am looking at only two schools: Brite Divinity School in Texas and Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky. Interesting fact, with applying to college, I only applied to one school. I don't really suggest that, though, unless you are absolutely sure you can get in.

Finally, similar to what Bokonon said, don't stress too much about what you are or are not doing now. You will have plenty of opportunities during college to get into trouble or be involved in different things. Often times, at least at my college, people have a hard time fitting all the things they want to do in.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I live in KY.

That's not at all relevent, but, it's a nice coincidence.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.