FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Electric shock" sensation in arm while lifting...

Author Topic: "Electric shock" sensation in arm while lifting...
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
...is this bad? Today I moved a ton (literally--as in 2000 lbs) of bagged grain into my trailer. Towards the end, I had a "pop" of electric shock simultaneously in my mid-spine and my left forearm. I have never had anything like that happen before. I took a break for a bit, and went back to work and it happened again.

I had to unload the trailer when I got home, so I tried to be very careful to put most of the weight on my right arm--but it still happened a couple more times, though not as strong.

Will I be OK?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a pinched nerve (but hey, I'm no doctor). The feeling should go away on its own, if it doesn't, there might be a problem, in which case the safe thing to do is go to a doctor.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that does sound like a nerve issue.
CT?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from now on, just lift half a ton at a time, then.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
An "electric shock" feeling indicates nerve involvement. Likely a nerve that snakes out of your spine and down your arm is feeling some pressure -- the origin of the pressure is most likely your spine and not your arm.

See if rest and an anti-inflammatory (like Advil) resolve the problem.

Else, consult a physician.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it like sciatica but in your arm instead of your leg? Sciatica is caused by a small muscle in the hip joint (the piriformis) which crosses the sciatic nerve going into spasm. Your shoulder is a very complicated piece of machinery, and there's probably some little muscle in there that cried "Uncle." Just sayin'.

P.S. The man says "rotator cuff can put pressure on brachioplexus nerve." I'll PM you on GC.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, that's not fun. You should probably see a doctor, I dunno what it could be, haven't had that happen to me before. =(
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I wonder if the fact that I'd been wearing a tightly-laced bodice all day at the Ren Faire had anything to do with it.

There was absolutely no pain, aside from the sensation of electricity. I almost expected to hear an accompanying "snap." There was absolutely no muscle spasm. I figured it had to be nerve related, and I know that the impulses are electric in nature (I think) but nothing like this has ever happened to me before! It weirded me out big time.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
I wonder if the fact that I'd been wearing a tightly-laced bodice all day at the Ren Faire had anything to do with it.

You're my goddess... [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

^_^
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<_<
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It was an awesome costume indeed, beverly. Glad you all got home in mostly one piece [Smile]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it put pressure on the area from the shoulder down to the breast and armpit (and I can't see how a tight bodice would not), it seems quite plausible to me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

It was good to see you again, Shig! [Smile]

Rivka, that may very well be what happened.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(Long story short) I've had a very similar sensation, accompanied by twitching in my upper arm. I assumed it was coming from a pinch in my spine, but the doctor said a nerve was pinched in my rotator cuff, and I had surgery to repair the cuff, and open the passage the nerve goes through. It didn't help. Now I'm even more aware that there is a pain in between my shoulder blades that accompanies the arm twitch, but the doctors (and chiropractor) swears there's no nerve there to pinch.

I'm pretty sure this came from walking with a cane around the time I had surgery on my lumbar spine. I know I got a crunchy feeling between my shoulder blades at that time and stopped using the cane for fear of doing more damage.

Also, the bodice thing sounds very plausible. I've found that wearing certain clothing (including jeans) puts a definite strain on my lower back. Then again, so does coughing...

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.