Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » That

Author Topic: That
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I learned something today: You can repeat the word "that" infinite times in a row and still be grammatically correct.

Source + example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That

Thought I would share it.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it took me a minute to figure out how those sample sentences would be said, but that's pretty cool.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo, but the infinite nature of 'that' is pretty good.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*starts killing hallucinatory zombies, due to brain malfunction*

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Badger badger badger badgerr badger badger badger badger badger badger badgerr badger badger badger...
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Badger badger badger badgerr badger badger badger badger badger badger badgerr badger badger badger...

[Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
mushroom mushroom!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
On that note...

Punctuate this:

that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is isn't it

You can use any form of punctuation you need.

Probably easy for a lot of you Hatrackers. Not for me. Nope. I took a good hour, then sat for another hour wondering why it took me so long.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is, isn't it?

I think?? [Smile] And I go out of my way to make sure I'm not using double words like that when typing up letters for the bosses, just because they drive me crazy.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
::searches purse for something resembling a prize for Goody...Ah Ha!--finds a gumball plastic pig::

The Pig of Perfection, for you, Goody! Display it with pride. [Big Grin]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
responding to original post: I think that would depend on what one thinks is the point of grammar. Since I consider the point of grammar to be clarifying communication, I wouldn't say that all those thats are good grammar. Especially when, by rearranging your syntax, you could make your point alot clearer. Plus if you ever said that 5 that sentance, your tongue might fall off. [Razz]
Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.