FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did I mention?

Author Topic: Did I mention?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I did, actually. I'm going to Italy for two months, leaving tomorrow.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy the gelato. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you didn't. But have fun. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and have fun!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so jealous! Have an amazing time!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to throw a couple of coins into the Trevi Fountain!
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, don't exchange your currency at American Express, they'll rip you off.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, and I thought this was going to be a "we're pregnant" thread or something. Have a great time in Italy!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ok. Bathroom is now officially Clean. None of you dirty scuzzbags are to set foot in there until the landlord has given us back the deposit, understand? [Mad]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun and eat well. [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Ok. Bathroom is now officially Clean. None of you dirty scuzzbags are to set foot in there until the landlord has given us back the deposit, understand? [Mad]

No matter how well you clean the land lord will keep a sizable chunk of your deposit. It's happened to me EVERY time I move out of a place.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to find landlords who don't do that. Also, if a landlord does so unjustifiably, that's generally actionable (and they know it, so a well phrased complaint can often get them to reverse).

At the the place I just moved out of, the landlord took out around $15 for carpet cleaning. They also had a standard price list, so if I had harmed anything, I could have established a reasonable expectation of cost even before they told me. I should point out that the carpet in our bedroom was probably ruined, but this was due to an unnoticed water leak from the apartment above damaging part of it (stuff was over that part). They didn't even try to stick us with that cost.

At the place I just moved into, they take out a standard carpet cleaning fee of around $30 (its a bigger place, so that's not even really an increase), and reports are that they rarely take out any more than that if you've done a reasonable effort of cleaning.

They also provide small amounts of basic supplies for filling holes in wall, repainting small scratches, that sort of thing, so you can do that before you move out and be spared the cost. I suspect they find they 'earn more' by encouraging residents to do the small things that can eat up lots of time for their maintenance people rather than soaking their security deposits.

Part of the reason is likely population. The previous place had a lot of students, but most were grad students, and it also had a lot of non-students, including families. This place has even fewer students, I think. Those groups are a lot more likely than undergraduates to raise a fuss, given unreasonable deposit taking.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any of a deposit kept, and I've never had anyone who I've helped clean have any of a deposit kept.

Have fun in Italy, KoM.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh right, have fun in Italy KOM, whereabouts are you going?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

No matter how well you clean the land lord will keep a sizable chunk of your deposit. It's happened to me EVERY time I move out of a place.
You've bad luck with landlords. I don't know anyone who's had even a fraction of their deposit kept, except where they knew in advance part of it would be withheld because of their own stupidity (e.g. a friend burned a 6 inch patch of their carpet. Yay, candles).

Fugu: Dang, you have really reasonable carpet cleaning fees. Here, typically $150-200 (of a ~$1500 deposit) is non-refundable.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.