FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RIP Robert jordan

Author Topic: RIP Robert jordan
DancerRonin
Member # 10836

- posted      Profile for DancerRonin           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/

I only stumbled across the news on a random blog. Just wanted to get the news out there more to people.

The wheel of time has always been on that "to read" list. I always told my self I was going to wait until it was done. Then I heard Jordan had been diagnosed with cancer and was prepareing a 2,000 page book to finish the series.

I guess I'll head out and buy that first book now.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=050082;p=0&r=nfx [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have looked at that thread if Brinestone hadn't pointed it out to me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to be a jerk -- I just thought that people in this thread might like to know that there's another thread discussing the same topic. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

That wasn't really to you (and it definitely wasn't saying that you were a jerk). I was just sort of commenting on the fact that there have been several threads on this already—I guess I'm not the only one who didn't see "Rand" and immediately think it had something to do with Robert Jordan.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Let's play a free association game. What's the first thing that comes into your might when I say...

Rand?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

McNally.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought as well, actually.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Actually, I might've thought Ayn when I first saw it, but McNally is what popped into my head just now.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I posted a new thread about it this morning and then stumbled on the other one almost immediately and went back and deleted mine. I've never read any of his works so I didn't get the reference, but I knew there were Jordan fans here, so...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Does Rand McNally save the world?
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Let's play a free association game. What's the first thing that comes into your might when I say...

Rand?

Yeoman Rand on Star Trek (TOS)
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:

You could say they save the world in convenient map format.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

You could say they save the world in convenient map format.
I shouldn't laugh out loud in a thread about someone's death, but that really got me.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Rand?

A large, gentle, musclebound humanoid armadillo from Breath of Fire II, an RPG for the SNES made by Capcom.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Ayn, because I have been thinking about reading Atlas Shrugged lately.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually at least the third thread to spring up since the first. I started one and deleted it after I was shown the other, but quite frankly a thread about what might happen to Rand in the future didn't then and doesn't now make me think it's a thread about Robert Jordan dying. It may be just as well that we leave this alternate up for others who might otherwise miss this important and tragic news for the fantasy world.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I saw this thread, because I never would have looked at the other one as well. I assumed it was about Ayn Rand, having never read any of Robert Jordan's work, so the name "Rand" did not ring any other bells for me.

Maybe the creator of the original thread could edit the title?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought of Ayn Rand, becasue I couldn't believ that someone would be writing about Ingersoll Rand, a manufacturer of slate saws...

Sad about Robert Jordan though - I will probably never read his books now. I hate unfinished stories...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
I also thought of Ayn Rand, becasue I couldn't believ that someone would be writing about Ingersoll Rand, a manufacturer of slate saws...

Sad about Robert Jordan though - I will probably never read his books now. I hate unfinished stories...

The story will be finished. It may not have quite the same voice/style, but it will contain the events Jordan meant it to contain and it will conclude the series. Before he died, Jordan told at least two people, including his wife and editor (the only editor for the entire series) all the details of the end. He also has extensive notes. It will be a shame that his spirit will not be fully present in the last book, but I remain confident that there will be a conclusion. Meanwhile, I still think the early books are well worth reading just for themselves. I was never as swept up in what would happen (the ending) as I was in the world and what was happening. The books were a pleasure to read and I will continue to recommend them.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
from ornery:
quote:
posted September 17, 2007 10:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from george r.r. martins blog.

"9:30pm: R.I.P. Robert Jordan
The world of high fantasy is poorer today.

James Rigney, better known to fantasy readers as Robert Jordan, has passed away. Although he had been fighting amyloidosis for several years, the news of his death still came as a shock to many, including me. He was so optimistic and determined that you had to think that if anyone could beat the disease, it would be him.

Jim was a good and gracious man, a pleasure to share a platform or a pint with, and his contributions to modern fantasy were many. His huge, ambitious WHEEL OF TIME series helped to redefine the genre, and opened many doors for the writers who followed.

He was also unfailingly generous towards other fantasists, always ready to offer them support and encouragement. My own ICE & FIRE series might never have found its audience without the cover quote that Jim was so kind as to provide, back when A GAME OF THRONES was first published. I will always be grateful to him for that.

The last time I saw Jim was at an Archon in Collinsville, Illinois. It was before his final illness. He was the convention Guest of Honor and I was the Toastmaster, and I introduced him by telling the audience that actually we were the same person. It was a gag that Jim himself had suggested in the Green Room beforehand. While I was doing the intro, and claiming credit for all his books, he slowly entered, walked up silently behind me, and stood looming over me, glowering like Zeus. We got a great laugh.

I had some great dinners with Jim and his wife Harriet there in Collinsville as well. We talked about other writers, editors, publishers, all the stuff that writers always talk about... oh, and a little about our own series as well... and Jim and Harriet invited me to visit them if I ever made it down to Charleston. Sad to say, I never did.

RIP, Jim. You will be much missed."

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad. I just found this out TODAY. It's been more than two months since he passed away. :-( I was so hopeful that he really would be one of the lucky ones!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like a jerk and a cad, but part of me went, "Maybe those people who keep popping up to go 'When the Wheel of Time comes to its triumphant conclusion, you plebians who dare to criticize The Great Work in your failure to comprehend its awesome grandeur will know your place!' will finally shut up."

A writer has died fairly young; may his work be remembered kindly, and mostly by people whose observations are more gracious.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
GRR, how did I miss this news. I feel a bit bad that the first thought through my head is that I hope he had the rest of the story well laid out so that it can be finished.

The other two mega-series that I am reading are supposed to be winding up. Supposedly Terry Goodkind's new book is the last in that series and I'll read it when I get back to the states in a few weeks. And OSC says the next book of the Alvin Maker series will be the last even if it has to be 1000+ pages.

And I keep telling myself that I'm not starting a series until its finished but it never works out.

Sergeant

Edit to add: On second thought and after reading some other information it was very considerate and kind of him to sacrfice so much of his last period of life to giving us what he could for the last book.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
So how many books are there in all, including the yet-to-be-written one?

I have always said I would just wait until they were complete before I finished. I think I made it to Book 5 or 6. It just got too detailed, and there were too many spankings. But having invested all that time, I do want to finish the series.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve, IIRC.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens.
I may have to take back my statement above!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If you stopped at 6, you have yet to read 10. And there's a few folks who'd suggest you might be happier staying that way (check out the reviews.)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
imo, 10 was better than 9, and 11 was better than 10.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
10 better than 9? Seriously? Honestly?
9, with all the stuff that happened in it, the real feel that the plot had finally moved (after the glacial path of daggers (8))? As opposed to 10, where nothing, seriously nothing, happened except for one Matt issue (and the rest being manuevering pieces into place for the final game). I'm honestly trying to think of what happened in 10? Matt and Egwene stuff (and the latter, like in the last 10 pages). As opposed to 9 with some monumental stuff going on and issues answered.

no comparison.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
And so it's decided who gets the honour of finishing the Wheel of Time...

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/

I don't think I've read anything by this author. Anyone that has who wants to comment?

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/brandon_interview_01.php

An interesting interview. It sounds as if the guy is a fan. I'm looking forward to what he'll come up with.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

He's a fairly new author—his third book was just published this summer. OSC has spoken very highly of him, as have some other notable authors, I believe. I read his first book and found it fairly enjoyable but not terribly impressive overall. My wife quite enjoys his stuff, though. She actually knew him when she was a freshman, and she's read some of his unpublished stuff and loved that, too. I haven't read enough by him to have a real opinion, but the fact that Harriet herself chose him to finish the book makes me feel a little better.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I can say this....I have read two of his books and I loved them.

If he is writing the rest of the series I may have to buy them after all. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of his books, but they seem to get positive reviews. I look forward to the last book of the series. I trust he'll do good with it and follow Robert Jordan's vision for the end of this series.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.