FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Loonie Parity! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Loonie Parity!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited today. xe.com lists the loonie at $1.01USD. I remember it being $0.61, and I never thought this day would come. I keep hearing economists on the news saying this is bad for us, but I'd rather work towards a strong Canadian economy not based on exports, anyway.

I'm usually only mildly patriotic, but today I am happy for my loonie.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Except everything is still way more expensive in Canada.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about crazy troll posting.

But it's far better.

It's about monopoly money!

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, xe.com still lists the USD as stronger.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird, eros. I'm still seeing the CAD as higher. *shrugs* It updates once a minute, so maybe it's going back and forth some.

Steven, can we cut the jokes about monopoly money? It's really old, and it's not even remotely funny. Most of the currency I've seen internationally is coloured, and it's the States that's the exception with its monochromatic bills.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, we Yanks can't hear you over the sound of how awesome we are!

Oh, and a US team is going to win the Stanley Cup again. [Razz]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, 1.00 USD = 1.00218 CAD.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Arguably, its not so much that the Canadian dollar has risen, but that the USD has dropped, which is why the USD is also at a lifetime low against the Euro.
quote:
The dollar fell to a lifetime low against the euro and reached parity with the Canadian currency on Thursday, weakened by expectations that this week's hefty U.S. interest rate cut may lead to further cuts in benchmark rates ... The dollar also set 15-year lows against a basket of six major currencies, at 78.538 A move below 78.190 would take the dollar index to record lows.
link

Realistically, since a huge proportion of our exports do go to the States, the combination of worsening credit worries in the States (possibly leading to a recession) and the reduced competitiveness of Canadian exports in the States will eventually "correct" our dollar.

However, in the meantime I'll enjoy buying stuff from amazon.com [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Steven, can we cut the jokes about monopoly money? It's really old, and it's not even remotely funny.

But jokes about Mounties and maple syrup are still fresh and funny, right?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
It's about monopoly money!

quote:
Steven, can we cut the jokes about monopoly money? It's really old, and it's not even remotely funny. Most of the currency I've seen internationally is coloured, and it's the States that's the exception with its monochromatic bills.

You mean this monopoly money?
link

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Deleted because I hit "submit" before I was done writing. See below for full post. [Smile]

[ September 20, 2007, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to Canada, I didn't actually see any. [Frown]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
They are a lie perpetuated by Canada to appear cooler. It distracts us while Tim Horton's spreads it's icy grip down from the border.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Steven, can we cut the jokes about monopoly money? It's really old, and it's not even remotely funny.

But jokes about Mounties and maple syrup are still fresh and funny, right?
Actually, yeah. Mounties are awesome. And if you find maple syrup funny, go for it. Also, I'm not celebrating anything to do with them. I think my irritation goes back to the same source as with Blayne's military thread. The US is the big kid on the block, and it seems when one of us Canucks posts about something we're proud of or something positive about our country, one of the first replies is invariably one of the US posters making fun.

I realise this is Hatrack and ribbing is the way things go, but for once it would be nice to post about the country that I love without someone making fun. Like Mucus said, this isn't going to last. Our loonie has been the weakest thing around for a long time, and that gets very depressing. For once we're doing well. I have no desire to make fun of the US for their dollar slipping internationally - my happiness is about our gain, not someone else's loss, and if I could have the one without the other, I'd be all the happier.

Mucus, yeah, that monopoly money.

Erosomniac, I have no idea how things are fluctuating, but xe.com is currently showing 1USD = 1.00186CAD. We'll see how it closes today, I guess.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
They are a lie perpetuated by Canada to appear cooler. It distracts us while Tim Horton's spreads it's icy grip down from the border.

Timmy's is owned by Wendy's Corp. It's not actually Canadian anymore. [Frown] (Neither is Inco, Stelco, Dofasco, or a few dozen other "Canadian" companies, but that's a slightly different gripe...)
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Equae, I didn't mean to hurt Canada's feelin's er nuffin'. I sorry. Genuinely.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Let's party like it's 2007 again! Woo!
quote:
The loonie opened just above parity with the U.S. dollar after hovering below the symbolic number for nearly a week.
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/794969--dollar-opens-above-parity-with-american-greenback
Mucus
Member # 9735

Also, I can't be sure, but I think Tim Horton's is Canadian again.
quote:
Tim Hortons said the lower profit was due to $23.1-million in costs associated with reorganizing the company into a Canadian legal entity. It had formerly been a subsidiary of the Wendy's hamburger chain and was previously registered as a U.S. company.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/tim-hortons-revenue-rises-11-per-cent/article1345050/
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it seems when one of us Canucks posts about something we're proud of or something positive about our country
Except this pretty much never happens, except to compare it to America.

It's never "Canada's a pretty good place to live;" it's "Canada's a better place to live than America is."

This is why Americans tease you: because all your little victories are framed in our context, for some reason.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Probably because we're talking to Americans.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
it seems when one of us Canucks posts about something we're proud of or something positive about our country

It's never "Canada's a pretty good place to live;" it's "Canada's a better place to live than America is."

This is why Americans tease you: because all your little victories are framed in our context, for some reason.

QFT
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: You're commenting of something said several years ago.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Probably because we're talking to Americans.
Do you do it to Brazilians, too? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Well, yes.*

* If I posted on a Brazilian BBS, had a similar amount of familiarity with Brazilian news, and thought that (to take the example) Canada was a great place to live compared to Brazil.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In related news, I watched the first few episodes of Due South this week.

I'm all Candadianed out. That definitely filled my lifetime quota for Canada jokes. Oh good grief.

On the upside, it has Paul Gross.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Wow, it was weird seeing my name suddenly appear. I wish I had money to order stuff from amazon like last time.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen Slings and Arrows, Katharina? It's less aggressively Canadian, has Paul Gross, and is awesome!
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, I love it! - that's why I got Due South. I like Slings and Arrows better, but Due South is mostly acceptable.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

A modern day alternative might be Castle. I don't think the Canadian content of Due South will reduce as the series goes on, if anything I think it gets more intense.
katharina
Member # 827

At this point, I'm watching it for Paul Gross. There's little reasoning involved, except that it is mostly harmless and has Paul Gross.
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I loooved Due South!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember vaguely enjoying it myself.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I watched the first Christmas episode last night, and the Mountie started talking to his dead father and we get to see what he is like when he relaxes a little bit without actually relaxing him. I like it better, and the Canadian jokes are way down. Maybe it was just warming up there.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminds me that I need to Netflix the rest of Slings and Arrows. I loved the first season, but never got around to getting any more of it.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Canada has a collective American inferiority complex. It's partly the "sharing a bed with an elephant" thing, and partly that said elephant largely ignores us, even when we jump up and down, wave our arms, and shout "Hey! Over here!"

Consequently, a significant subset of Canadian humour for domestic audiences rests on making us feel smugly superior to Americans. Canadian humour for international audiences is still pretty much in the Canadian Bacon space.

I think this time the Canadian dollar may linger around or above the US dollar for a fair while, partly because the US dollar is also sinking against the Euro and partly because of how well Canada and Canadian banks are weathering the recession. That probably spells continued trouble for our manufacturing sector and other export-reliant industries, many of which are largely tied to the US.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
The loonie is a name for the Canadian dollar? Since when?
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

This seems to indicate that the term gained acceptance at least before December, 1988.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Canadian dollar coin has a picture of a loon on it:

http://henrykisor.com/archives/loonie.jpj

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Due South has taken a serious turn towards the weird. I like it.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Which episode is this?
katharina
Member # 827

The Christmas and after.

And then...last night I watched the end of season one. Holy schmoley - that was amazing. The antepen and the penultimate episodes are possibly some of the best television I've ever seen. I'm completely on board now - Due South is astounding, once it gets its sea legs. Wow.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I don't think it's unnatural to compare your country with its closest neighbour, especially when that neighbour is the bigger, more powerful one and you can claim an equal footing with them in some area.

For example, when the Euro has near parity with the British pound I am absolutely delighted, and I quickly hit the internet for some good deals.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I think this time the Canadian dollar may linger around or above the US dollar for a fair while, partly because the US dollar is also sinking against the Euro and partly because of how well Canada and Canadian banks are weathering the recession.

The US dollar is not currently sinking against the Euro. The US dollar has been rising against the Euro for last 6 months and at the same time sinking against the Canadian dollar. I took a quick look and the Canadian dollar has been rising against pretty much every major currency.

[ April 22, 2010, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The Christmas and after.

And then...last night I watched the end of season one. Holy schmoley - that was amazing. The antepen and the penultimate episodes are possibly some of the best television I've ever seen. I'm completely on board now - Due South is astounding, once it gets its sea legs. Wow.

katharina, there are moments of pure magic. It has its ups and downs, but when it is up, it is far and away.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Wow, yeah. The two-parter near the end there was fantastic, and then I found this Freudian and Jungian analysis of it on Live Journal that made me love it even more.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
ha ha ha haha!

I was coming back to post it for you (here, right?) once I realized the episodes you meant. *grin

I have to admit, that was the story that stuck with me the most. I'll never forget The Windhover, and her fingers in his warm wet mouth, and all of the despair and beauty of it.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's exactly the one! Oh, that is funny.

That two-parter made Fraser so real, and The Mountie a deliberate choice, which makes him better, I think. I much more admire deliberate, chosen uprightness rather than naiveté and innocence, and then even that willful virtue is a bit out of contol. I love trupenny's guess that Fraser might have had a bit of a raucous past that got out of his control, and The Mountie is his way of dealing with it, and then her arrival precipitated him reconciling himself to himself.

In fact, I was so impressed with truepenny's breakdown that I friended her and discovered she's a published author, so I just ordered her debut book. I'll bet it's great - she's very tight and insightful.

[ April 22, 2010, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

Let's party like it's 2007 again! Woo!
(or April)

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/875144--loonie-hits-parity-with-u-s-dollar-is-it-here-to-stay

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize many of us keep the loonie from maintaining parity with the dollar precisely because the moment it does, that's the signal for invasion #3. As everybody knows, the third time's the charm.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we invading them, or is they invading us?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.