FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soliciting advice for Grad studies...

Author Topic: Soliciting advice for Grad studies...
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy all,

I'm finishing my undergrad in the spring, and am looking to start my Grad studies in the fall of 2008. I'm compiling a list of schools to look into closely, so I can have a final (but small and highly-distilled) list of places to apply to come springtime. I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest some schools to add to my "look-into" list.

I'm finishing my BFA in New Media, and I'd like to end up with either an MFA or an MSc. My academic interests are:

Algorithmic Art (Including Experimental Video Games)
Experimental Human/Computer Interfaces
Installation art that involves digital processing
Tangible Computing

Ideally, I'd love to find a program that encourages combining artistic and technical problem solving, and engenders experimental collaboration between artists and techies (or, even better, focuses on artists who are techies). That means areas like robotics, physical sensor interaction, and experimental programming are all options. If the program is right, I'm willing to take whatever technical and math classes I need to get up to speed.

Generally, I'm much more interested in programs that encourage experimentation rather than pigeon-holing you into current industry positions. (No "Gaming" schools, please!)

Oh, and I'm open to moving pretty much anywhere in the world (including somewhere that would require me learning a new language), for the right program.

Does all of this sound crazy? If so, let me know. If you know of any schools that might fit the bill, please feel free to suggest them!

Thanks!

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
SF State: http://art.sfsu.edu/Dept/concinf.htm

Art Center College of Art in Pasadena: http://www.artcenter.edu/

Cal Arts: http://www.calarts.edu/art/programs/integratedmedia

Sorry -- I only know the Calif. ones.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Thanks Zalmoxis! California ones are more than acceptable!

Anyone else have suggestions?

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Arts, Media, and Engineering program at Arizona State.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Thanks Shigosei!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.