FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Card also called it...sort of.

Author Topic: Card also called it...sort of.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Germs!

quote:
The germ: Salmonella, best known as a culprit in food poisoning.

The trip: Space shuttle mission STS-115, September 2006.

The reason: Scientists wanted to see how space travel affects germs, so they took some along -- carefully wrapped -- for the ride.

The result: Mice that were fed the space germs were three times more likely to get sick, and died more quickly, than mice fed identical germs that had remained behind on Earth.

This kind of creeped me out. It reminded me of the Descolada a bit.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
In what way? Disease in space?
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and the whole changing genetics as a result thing.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, so now, here on earth, we have a more potent and virulent form of a disease that already kills people? Now, when that breaks out of the lab . . .
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So if we take the germs and send them into space and bring them back more powerful than before, and then send them out and bring them back again, even more powerful! We can finally develop that strain of virus that can make I Put My Blue Genes On a reality!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has read the 2350 game knows that germs are more powerful in space.

Anyone who has not read the 2350 game should be mocked mercilessly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
<----will read the graphic novel
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It just makes me think, Why did they DO that? That's a stupid idea.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
It just makes me think, Why did they DO that? That's a stupid idea.

Understanding how germs and immune systems work in space is crucial if you want to have large numbers of people spending large amounts of time in space.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's science, folks.

And it's much better to do this to a few mice in an controlled environment than on the first colonization mission to Tatooine.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
<----will read the graphic novel

I doubt it. [Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.