FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rocky Steps

Author Topic: Rocky Steps
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Every once in awhile I'll go to the Rocky Steps (otherwise known as the Philadelphia Art museum steps)and just watch people reenact that famous scene from Rocky. You people from all walks of life.
School buses pull up and 6 and 7 year kids race up the stairs. Men and women in suits, wedding parties tourist from other countries. When they get to the top the all "Rocky'd" It's hard to miss the look of joy on their faces. The funny thing is, in all my years of living in Philly I've watched but I've never actually run up those stairs. Well that all changed a few weeks ago.

So anyway a few weeks ago I got laid off from my job. I really felt down in the dumps because I felt I had given my all but since I was one of the newer hires I was let go. I thought about immediately starting the new job hunt but I was really up to the task. I went to Center City, the was a book I wanted to but (stranger from a strange land) and while there I saw a book Rocky Stories

I sat there and read the entire book (sorry book store employees). You know what? I felt inspired. It was a bright sunny day. I great day to "Rocky" watch. I hustled over to the steps. When I got there a funny thing happened. I started to run and before I knew it I was up the first few steps. Then in my head I heard the Rocky Theme "Gonna to Fly now". I took the stairs one, the two then three at a time. And when I got to the top I Rocky'd. Completely oblivious to anything or anyone around. And it was joyous. In all my years I always wondered why people ran up those stairs and in one moment I grokked it in fullness.

I think Stalone said it best “You can't borrow Superman's cape. You can't use the Jedi laser sword. But the steps are there. The steps are accessible. And standing up there, you kind of have a piece of the Rocky pie.”

Has anyone else here ran up the Rocky Steps?

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but you make me want to. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
No, but you make me want to. [Smile]

I was under the impression that you've been to Philly a few times. You managed to avoid the steps...I'm shocked
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone's done a photo essay/book/whathaveyou of the people who run up the Rocky steps. That'd look quite cool, I think. All the different sorts of folks and stuff. *shrug*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
I wonder if anyone's done a photo essay/book/whathaveyou of the people who run up the Rocky steps. That'd look quite cool, I think. All the different sorts of folks and stuff. *shrug*

They do. It's called Rocky Stories
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived a block away from them for about a year. I've run up them once myself.

Of course, I've lived in Philly for five years now, so it would have been embarassing if I hadn't.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the Rocky steps, but didn't run up them.

I had just walked probably 5 miles or so in brand new shoes (blisters galore), and the last thing I wanted to do was run up some stairs!

I did sit on them though. Not quite as inspiring, I know.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy and that's way more satisfying.

Sorry, Xavier but your phrasing reminded me of this

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to the museum, but I assure you, the first time I go there I'm running up those steps.

During the end credits of Rocky Balboa they film lots of different people running up the steps and "Rockying" at the top. It was pretty cool.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it once by myself and once with a group of about 50 people
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to do it. The closest to Philly I have been is West Conchahockan (or however you spell it).

I will when I get the chance.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.