FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am so Tired of My Digestive System I want to Rip it Out

Author Topic: I am so Tired of My Digestive System I want to Rip it Out
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past over a year I have been plagued with these stupid stomach aches off and on.
Stomach gurgling.
Heartburn
Burning sensation on my left side.
Bloating, and other assorted unpleasant digestive things and side effects.
Don't say go to the doctor. I've been several times. They are really useless because I suspect it could be IBS from stress.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks
Maybe if I get one of those bionic digestive systems that don't exist yet.
That would help.
Then I could have ice cream and all the hot chocolate I want.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn,

If you're thinking IBS, have you tried modifying your diet to see if it helps? In my case, staying away from carbonation, drinking a decent amount of water and eating enough fiber keeps it under control pretty well.

But dietary issues can vary a lot from person to person.

Also, your symptoms sound a lot like what happened to me when I realized that I had finally become lactose intolerant (it can happen as you get older). Confirmed it by eliminating milk, ice cream, etc. for a few days and then reintroducing one of them. When I want milk with my cookies or a bowl of ice cream, I take a supplement now. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you're having digestive unpleasantness! Have you tried keeping a food journal (basically, you write down in a little notebook everything you eat and when and how you feel)? It may help you identify problem foods (so you can modify your diet like sndrake suggested).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was diagnosed with IBS, I kept a food and symptom diary for three weeks. After that I was able to look back and see what the common denominators were that were causing my symptoms.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you know, ludosti beat me to it. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
Syn,

If you're thinking IBS, have you tried modifying your diet to see if it helps? In my case, staying away from carbonation, drinking a decent amount of water and eating enough fiber keeps it under control pretty well.

But dietary issues can vary a lot from person to person.

Also, your symptoms sound a lot like what happened to me when I realized that I had finally become lactose intolerant (it can happen as you get older). Confirmed it by eliminating milk, ice cream, etc. for a few days and then reintroducing one of them. When I want milk with my cookies or a bowl of ice cream, I take a supplement now. [Smile]

>< AUGH. I better not be lactose intolerant! I love milk. I adoooooore ice cream. I love love love hot chocolate with milk made from scratch. I better not be. ><
But I need to try to adjust my diet a bit prehaps. It comes and goes and seems to get worse when I am stressed and frustrated.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Soy milk isn't bad, especially in stuff when you're cooking. I'm a big fan of the Soy Dream ice cream. It's like Ben & Jerry's plus some of the money goes to help sea turtles.

See what's available at the health food store. You'll be surprised at how well you can still eat with a food allergy.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But I never had a food allergy before : o(
Ever...

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
lactose intolerance isn't an allergy.

Wikipedia entry on lactose intolerance

Has lots of useful information. Like for instance that the gradual loss of production of the enzyme needed to process lactose can develop over a period as long as twenty years. Gives rates of intolerance by ethnic group, etc.

You won't have to give up milk, necessarily, but you will have to spend more money one way or another. A supplement will supply the enzyme when taken right before consuming a dairy product. There are also brands of milk which have the enzyme put in the milk, so the lactose intolerant can drink it safely.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I could have that, but I drink milk all the times. Sometimes it goes away for a long time.
Activia helps a lot and not stressing out too much.
Maybe now that I have Commonwealth I will be able to find a useful doctor. Though, it does help a bit not to eat before going to bed like I usually do. I'm trying to eat dinner at 5 or 6 instead of 8 or 9.
I'll try the test but I wonder if I drink HC if I will suffer... hmmm

I could try to cut down on my 4 20 ounce cups of tea a day too ><

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion

Upset Stomach

Diarrhea!

YAY! Pepto Bismol?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That would be "Yo! Pepto Bismol!"

Not that Pepto does anything for me but turn my diarrhea black and my tongue green.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I need something to scrub that visual out of my brain.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that sounds rough. You should go see a doctor! [Taunt]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
That would be "Yo! Pepto Bismol!"

Not that Pepto does anything for me but turn my diarrhea black and my tongue green.

There's something very wrong with me that I find that really kind of interesting, and I'm curious how that works.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not sure, but it happens to Megan too. We had a previous discussion on it once...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Soy milk can affect estrogen levels, so make sure you know the pros and cons of that before you start consuming too much.

I'm with sndrake - lots of water and fibre helps to control mine as well.

Oh the joys...

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'm shocked.
My stomach doesn't hurt, even though I drank hot chocolate and had dark chocolate school boy biscuits.
The heartburn has gone away for now...

But, who knows what will happen later.

katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

It always makes my tongue turn green as well. I hate that stuff!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Pepto is guaranteed to make me throw up.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel. During my first two years of college I had very similar stomach pain and burning on and off. One doctor thought it was acid reflux, and another told me it was IBS. I was on all kinds of medicine that did absolutely nothing for the stomach aches. In my case it turned out to be an anxiety problem and once I figured that out I saw another doctor and was put on anxiety meds. About a year and a half later I haven't had any stomach problems at all. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you put on weight over the last year or two, Synesthesia? That can certainly exacerbate heartburn.

I think it would be a good idea to use your insurance and talk to a professional. There are a lot of questions to ask and things to consider to figure out what's going on in your belly.

---

When Pepto-Bismol is digested, the bismuth subsalicylate is broken apart and the bismuth (a metal) can react with sulfur in the gastrointestinal tract to turn a grey-green/black color. The more sulfur, the more color change.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I might have put on weight, but I want to LOSE some weight.
I bet it's stress. I used to drink self made milkshakes and not have this problem.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Losing weight (at a healthy rate and in a healthy way) would probably help alleviate some of your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon, Syn.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, if it turns out you are lactose intolerant, you might be able to drink Hood Calorie Countdown, a milk that has most of the lactose removed and replaced with artificial sweetener. I like it a lot. I mix just a little bit of chocolate in with a big glass of skim, and I think it's delicious. I'm lactose intolerant, though not badly so, and I can drink it (I drink a quart a day) with no ill-effects.

Good luck finding out what's wrong and fixing it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Cool. Now my stomach is doing good, but my jaw and head are killing me. ow.

TBJ sucks.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, another thing that can cause problems like you're describing is anything with olestra. Be sure you don't eat the chips that are made with olestra (an artificial low-calorie fat) since it's not digestible it causes a lot of people to have problems.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had heartburn almost every night for four years. I take Zantac on a nightly basis. Within the past year, food feels as though it gets stuck in my esophagus. I had an upper GI earlier this year but they said nothing is wrong. I have to wash all dry food down with drink. It's very painful and annoying.

Syn,

I feel your pain (literally).

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have lots of ibs-acid reflux problems, almost always related to stress.

For instance, at the beginning of nearly every school year I've had to go on inhaled steroids and prescription antacids to combat the upper gi upset that I usually experience. I've found the best cure for all these problems is copious, copious amounts of exercise. I just always feel better afterward and when I've been doing it regularly. It's been a bit of a problem since I've been in England not been exercising regular- other than walking.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.