FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this professional? (a rant)

Author Topic: Is this professional? (a rant)
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have been working for about two months now at Hollywood Video. I had been trying all summer long to get a part-time job (something to sustain me while I did my student teaching). No one would even interview me though (odd since I'm a college graduate and thus overqualified for these part-time jobs). Finally in late July Hollywood Video called me in for an interview and I got the job.

In the two months, I've seen my manager change the week's schedule within the week, mainly to fit her own needs (when she wants off). She doesn't notify anyone of the changes, just expects you to know them, and then gets mad if you don't know (or don't show up at the new time). For example, one weekend I wasn't scheduled at the beginning of the week to work on that week's Saturday. When I came in to work on Friday, I found out that I was now schedule to work Saturday night. Between the time I found out then and Saturday night, my shift for Saturday was changed three separate times (to a mid-shift, no working, then finally back to night shift).

This happens quite a lot, and it's one of the major complaints of every other employee who works there, as we really don't know if on any given day we are going to have to work the hours we were originally supposed to or not. It wouldn't be as bad if she'd call us and tell us when she does make changes (although even that's still a little unprofessional in my opinion), but she doesn't even do that.

Now in the past I really haven't complained about these schedule changes, as they typically don't affect me as much. I told the manager before she hired me that once the school year started that I would be student teaching and I would only be available to work on Friday nights, anytime on Saturday, and Sunday mid-shifts (basically afternoon to early evening). I told her I would also be willing to work a Sunday morning shift if she just couldn't get anyone else to work (I'd prefer to have the mornings off so I can go to church, but I'll work if I have to). The main stipulation that I made though was that I wouldn't work a Sunday night once school began, as it's too exhausting to work at Hollywood Video until 1-1:30 AM and then have to get up at 5:30AM to start getting ready to go student teach at a high school. Way too exhausting.

She agreed to the condition and so far it hasn't been an issue. She's only scheduled me on Friday nights and Saturday mid-shifts since school started up. This week I don't know what she was thinking though. I got into work and was looking up the schedule for next week (to write down what my original scheduled hours for the week would be). I then noticed that she had me scheduled for Sunday night from 5PM until close.

I was angry (partially from my pent up frustration from student teaching this week and partially because she broke her word on this). I called her and asked why she had scheduled me like this. She said it "wasn't her problem" and that if I didn't want to work I needed to call and find a replacement. The problem is a) she's refusing to work because she's "on vacation" until Monday, b) one of the other shift leaders can't work it because she has a son who is sick at home, and c) the other real shift leader is already scheduled to be working that shift with me on Sunday. The best I can hope for is calling one of the other lower ranking employees and hopefully talking him into taking the shift, but I don't have much hope of that (he doesn't do favors for anyone and he hates working).

So yeah, there's not a whole lot I can do, other than just do the shift and be pissed off about it the rest of the week. This all just seems terribly unprofessional for my manager (although it's only the tip of the iceberg really). While I know I can't do much about it, I just need to vent as I'm really frustrated at this point.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's VERY unprofessional. It's the job of the manager to construct a schedule as promptly as possible and without being flaky about it. Retail is what it is and you'll always be working different days and shifts, but the only way to offset this is to have a final schedule at least a week early so people can plan their offhours accordingly
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there someone above her you can file a formal complaint with?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to go over her head on this one since she's the one you have the problem with. If she's the store manager, you need to go to the regional manager.

You were hired with the specific agreement that you could not work Sunday nights. She has now blatantly violated that agreement and, worse, told you that it's not her problem. I'm sorry, but it absolutely IS her problem. I'd be mad enough about the constant adjusting of the schedule with no discussion or warning, especially if it is routinely to her benefit and not to other employees. But this one now takes the cake for me.

You need to document the problems you're seeing (you say this scheduling issue is the tip of the iceberg, so obviously there are other problems, if you're going to go over her head to regional, you may as well bring out all of your complaints against her at one shot). Dates and times and specific details as much as possible.

However, you also need to expect that there is likely to be some backlash from this if she remains in a position of authority while the situation is being addressed. You may want to consider starting a new job search in case you're fired by her (and you'd likely have grounds for a wrongful termination suit, as well, another good reason to have your documentation prepared).

I wish you luck. Keep us updated, please?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
It's extremely unprofessional not to have a finalized version of a schedule for each week by a given day of the preceeding week. Sure changes will need to be made from time to time, but if the schedule "comes out on Friday" for the next week, then after Friday, the manager should consider it a personal responsibility to make sure any and all changes are communicated directly to the affected parties. Also, people should be asked to come in or to cover times they don't normally work or had been scheduled off that week, and appropriately thanked for accepting.

Of course, I recognize I'm still naive and idealistic in the schedule management department, but the above doesn't seem to be an unrealistic expectation, IMO.

I have someone who, up front, has asked for Sundays off. I have coverage on Sunday, so I have no problem hiring this person with that stipulation. If I need extra coverage in the future, I might find that I have to ask this person to work a Sunday. If he refuses, well, I see it as his right to do so, since he was hired with the knowledge that he wanted Sundays off. I certainly wouldn't just schedule him and tell him it's "his problem" to find coverage of his shift. To me that's just asking an employee to quit.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'd have to look into it, but I don't think even talking to the regional leader would work out (as we just changed regional leaders back to one we had before, and from the way I've heard about it this one is buddies with the manager of my store and the manager of one of the other stores in the region).

Also part of the problem is I only have so much documentation to prove it. Most times we aren't given a printed out schedule for the week (which has always bothered me a little), and so I've just written my days and times down on a post-it note (usually double checking it two or three times before I put the scheduling binder away). I do have stacks of post-it notes that have changed times (like the one for this week, on yesterday I had to change it from 6-close to 5-close and on today I had to change it from 2-9 to 5-close). That's not very good legal documentation though.

I have been looking for another part-time job, but so far I haven't had much luck. It seems like most places just don't look at my application or something (I know Hollywood Video didn't even look at it before hiring me, as they were all surprised to find out that I was a college graduate, something that is clearly listed on the application). I am going to keep applying at other places, but I don't have tons of hope on hearing back based on my past experiences.

There have been numerous problems though and quit a few times I wanted to give my two weeks notice. One of my fellow employees quit about three weeks ago, and I don't blame him. He got promoted to shift leader but was never trained in the duties he would have as a shift leader. Then when he did stuff wrong or forgot to do something, he would get yelled at by the manager. I always tried to defend him, saying that she should have trained him for the position before putting him into it by himself, but she doesn't seem to see the logic in that. As I said, I don't blame him for quitting, because it was unreasonable and he wasn't being treated fairly. If I can find a new job, I will follow right behind, as this job is just no fun (and mainly because of all the stuff that the higher-ups pull on us).

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If the regional manager is buddies with your manager, you could send a detailed letter to the regional manager with a CC to the regional manager's boss.

Personally, I'd be inclined to tell her that no, sorry, I can't come in on Sunday night as I told you when I was hired. You'll have to find someone else. And leave it at that and not show up (I would tell the other person scheduled for that shift ahead of time). It really is her problem. But I'm just a little pissy that way.

Good luck finding a new job. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
r (and you'd likely have grounds for a wrongful termination suit, as well, another good reason to have your documentation prepared).
I doubt it. She would have to be doing something illegal, as opposed to something grossly unprofessional, for you to press a retaliation suit. Also, you're probably an at will employee, so she can just make your life hell until you quit. If she's smart, which it doesn't necessarily sound like she is.

You could start documenting things from this point forward, and record what you remember as best you can, but with the political climate, I'd say there's not much chance of that.

The way to approach it if you do go to the regional manager is to point out how expensive turnover is. Has anyone else quit because of her shenanigans?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I need to revise my previous statement. Retaliation is when you have filed a complaint with some kind of enforcement agency and they fire you for that. Your complaint might have no basis, but if they fire you for making it, they will probably still have a problem for having done so. At least, I think that's what I see happen sometimes.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Turn-over is high, although more so at the other store nearby. That is why some of the times (like tonight) my shift gets changed; the other store needs an employee so their manager calls ours and takes one of our employees and then our manager changes our schedule to accommodate. The other store is in desperate need of help and our store is a bit understaffed. One guy (who I mentioned in my last post) quit recently. Another girl is like me, waiting to get another job before she quits. The only people who aren't looking to quit are the ones who are buddies with the manager (basically her friends and roommates).
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Another post for an update of sorts. I called the assistant manager (as the manager was no longer answering her cell phone) and talked to him about it. He seemed confused as well as to why she would schedule me on Sunday night when she isn't supposed to. He said he would call her home number (which I don't have) and try and talk to her about it. Hopefully it'll get changed. If not, we'll see what happens.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
May I just take the opportunity here to express my complete frustration that we still expect prospective teachers to teach for a semester without getting paid, and make it almost impossible for them to hold down another job to support themselves during that time period?

It's the most outrageous, antiquated system, because it's still based on a time when only young women became teachers and their salaries were not the primary ones that supported families. That's just not true anymore, and this system needs to change.

Edit: Edited because I can't speel.

[ September 29, 2007, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

On top of not getting paid, having to pay to do it. [Razz]

But yeah, I agree; the system is outdated. Who knows when or if it'll ever get overhauled. I'll make do with what I can in the meantime though. [Smile]

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I have several friends who have gotten emergency certified and taught for a year and convinced their schools to count that as their student teaching. I believe they paid the school for tuition and fees as normal, but got paid the normal rate for an emergency certified teacher.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well the program that I went through would let you do a one year paid internship (you paid them $1800 or so, but you got paid a typical teacher's salary by the school district), but the thing was you had to find a school district willing to hire you.

As it stands, no one (aside from some of the Houston ISD schools where I didn't feel safe or comfortable) needed a history teacher; they were able to fill any history openings with coaches that they needed. Now if I had been certified in math, I would have had a chance at getting a job and all. The program limited your certification area based on what classes you took in college (and I was roughly 4 hours under the minimum needed for math certification). So yeah, it was partially bad luck on my part.

Once I get through my student teaching though, I'll be fully certified and then I can take additional certification tests. I plan on taking the Math 8-12 one. With that, I should increase my odds of getting a job in the future.

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh,

I hope everything works out. What district are you working in?

Keep in touch.

Jack

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh, why not just transfer to a different Hollywood Video?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

brojack, I'm in student teaching in New Caney ISD if that's what you're asking. I'm at New Caney High School. Not terribly far from where I live.

Morob, I don't think (although I'd have to check to be sure) that they allow transfers (other than temporary stuff when they need someone from one store to fill in at another). Even if they did though, the other two Hollywood Video stores that are near me are run almost as bad (judging from what I hear at our little sub-regional meetings every 6 weeks or so).

Things did get worked out though. I guess the assistant manager got onto the manager about it (which was nice of him), and she finally changed it. This meant that she had to move one of the shift leaders' shifts up (to Sunday night) and stop her holiday early (she was supposed to work Monday night, and now I think she's working Monday morning). At least it's fixed though. I also was able to pull out the schedule for next week and it looks like it was the same thing (with me scheduled to work Sunday night) but it had also been corrected. So I guess it's worked out, at least for the next two weeks or so. Hopefully it stays worked out. I hate having to cause situations just to get things done the way they were supposed to be done.

Thanks everyone for your replies and support with this. It's good to know that Hatrack is always ready and willing to give out helpful advice. [Smile]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh, From what you said, Hollywood Video is having a hard time keeping and retaining employees. It also seems that you aren't the only one working there who is upset about the way she is treating the employees. Have you considered organizing with the other employees?

I'd talk to the other people and then if they are amenable, go to the manager and tell her that you have all agreed that the scheduals must be posted by a specific time (say 5 pm Friday), that scheduals must abide by all agreements made at the time of hire and that you will not accept any changes to the posted schedual. Put it in writing, cc a copy to the regional manager and stick to it. If you think its necessary, bring a digital cameray and photograph the scheduals at the specified time.

I can guarantee you that she won't be able to fire all of you and she will end up in big trouble with regional if the store is routinely understaffed because of her schedualling errors. If you stick together on this you will win the fight.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad things are looking up for you pfresh. On a somewhat interesting note, the Hollywood Video near me closed down recently due to poor business and inability to maintain a full staff o_O
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The other two Hollywood Video stores nearby are in danger of being closed soon, as they are under-performing according to corporate. The only reason ours will probably stay open is because our numbers are always insanely high (we are typically #1 in our region).

As for your idea, Rabbit, even if I had the guts for it, I don't have the numbers. At best it'd be a 50/50 split with the manager, her roommate, and the assistant manager on one side and two other employees and I on the other. *shrugs* Oh well. This is only temporary for me anyways.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"At best it'd be a 50/50 split with the manager, her roomate , and the assistant manager"

Gee, that's professionalism.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well prior to this roommate working there, her other roommate (who is also her girlfriend) was working there. She's not now, as someone from corporate fired her for not following all the behaviors we are supposed to (like we are supposed to greet each customer, help them find stuff, try to sell them stuff, etc.).

Still, it seems like stuff like this happens all the time around here. The Best Buy near me only hires people who know people who already work there. It seems like you have to have connections like that to get jobs around here.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(aside from some of the Houston ISD schools where I didn't feel safe or comfortable)
C'mon, our public schools are as safe as they come. And if you wait until after (if) they approve the new $805mil bond measure, they'll probably close down the lowest income schools and open and renovate the upper income area schools. It's a win win! Unless, of course, you're one of the lower income families.

As for the work situation, I find sabotage to be the best retaliation.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I feel safe and comfortable at most public schools. Houston ISD has been the exception for me. Too many problems, which is no good since the first year teacher already has enough problems on his/her plate.
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt so much better when my husband stopped working at HISD. But, on the good side, their was no lasting damage from the head wound. And I think that the three days suspension really taught the kid a lesson.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find sabotage to be the best retaliation.
and illegal.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.