FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Apple Pie

Author Topic: Apple Pie
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Is apple pie healthy?

It has apples in it and cinnamon is good for blood sugar.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the ammount of sugar and butter in apple pies would outweight the benefits of the cinnamon, the apples might still have a bit of benefit.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple pie, when I make it, doesn't really have that much sugar. And practically no butter. And LOTS of apples. The pie crust (when I make it) does have shortening and one egg for 4 crusts. Which is why when I want a "healthy" dessert, I make an apple crisp-- with an oatmeal crumb topping. The oatmeal cancels our the butter-- especially if you use a heart-healthy margarine (like Promise spread) instead...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good.
I made the worse most ugliest crust ever.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course, if Splenda doesn't make you sick like it does me (it tastes like burnt rubber to me, and apparently 3%-ish of the population) you could use that instead of sugar and be even MORE healthy-ish.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

mmm
It;s such an ugly pie.
Martha Stewart would laugh her posterior off at it.
BUT IT'S SO DELICIOUS.
I used 3 different kinds of apples and put a LOT of cinnamon, I drowned it in cinnamon, used brown sugar and mixed it with my hands until it was good and brown.
It's great.
But I wish I didn't fail so much at crusts.

I wonder how I'm supposed to lose weight when all I want to do is eat apple pie, hot selfmade chocolate with whipped cream and school boy biscuits, dark chocolate.
At least I used lowfat (2%) milk.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Pie > Cake
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
Pie > Cake

Ooooh, yes.

I often ask for pie instead of cake for my birthday. Usually rhubarb pie. [Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't know, I sure love redundantly demonically chocolate cake a lot better than cinnamon drawned pie, but pie is good too.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I love apple pie. This thread is making me hungry.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endless Orion
Member # 11017

- posted      Profile for Endless Orion   Email Endless Orion         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so left out. The only apple pie I've ever had are the ones you buy at McDonald's... I think i'm culinarily lacking... I had cheesecake for the first time ever last week, I can count the different types of pie I've tasted using one hand, and ... I really need to start expanding my food horizons.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple pie at McDondalds is not real apple pie.

Syn, if you make your pie yourself, if you stew the filling (or bake it in with no added fat (butter/oil)) and if your pie crust is reasonably healthy, the it's a great dessert.

And as KQ said, it is even healthier as crumble. For my crumble topping, I rub oats (just the regular porridge/breakfast cereal ones) with just enough butter/margarine to make them moist. Rub, as in, with my fingers - blend it in. When it it is only just moist, I add some sugar - about 1-2 tsb all up. I rub some more, until it becomes crumbly. When that happens - that's my topping! I lay it out on my apple mixture, and grill it - and voila, crumble!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.