FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vishy Anand

Author Topic: Vishy Anand
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Vishy is officially the new World Chess Champion!

Good for him, at age 39 he shows that old people can still win! Besides, he deserves it before he starts his decline.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Old?

Crap.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 39 is old for certain mathematical/spatial-type skills. In physics, mathematics, logic, etc., it really is true that the best work gets done by those in their 20's. It used to be that way in other sciences, like chemistry & biology, but with the rise of the team in the lab, rather than the solitary scientist, that's changing. In economics (which is highly mathematical) the best tend to be identified very early by their excellent work, but tend to be productive longer, since a large component of doing good economics requires an understanding of human nature.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I beat some of the old Russian guys in Harvard square the other day.

I doubt I'll ever break 2000, though.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I am young enough that I probably could if I really wanted to and studied, but that takes... effort. I am about 1700, but beat experts and masters fairly regularly. My issue is that I am inconsistent and also lose to 1400s.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.