FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NaNoWriMo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So, who's in? And what'cha plan on writing?

I'm taking a departure this year from my usual science fiction and writing a fantasy instead. Don't have all the details worked out - still have a month - but it looks like my main characters are 11 or 12 years old and get into a heap of trouble by nearly destroying the world.

What about you?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last two years I've started ambitious nanowrimo stories and have always felt daunted and didn't complete them.

So this year I'm going to finish the story I just started writing last week. It'll probably end up being closer to 35,000-40,000 words, if that.

I know it doesn't satisfy the technical goals of the program, but getting SOMETHING accomplished is better than trying something big and stopping before I even start. So I think it satisfies the spirit of NaNoWriMo.

My story is called Carvin Hedridge. It's about a guy who happens upon a lost village when he gets lost. Something there calls to him and he stays for awhile to explore, and soon ends up defending the village from a great threat. In the end he finds the village is a lot more than it first appeared. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone wants to read it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds interesting, Lyrhawn. Really really interesting. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well actually, and this might sound pretty goofy but, the whole idea for the story came from two places. One of them was a dream I had, which I'll tell you all about after I finish writing the story, as the crux of the dream would ruin the ending of the story. And the other part was this:

quote:
Carvin Hedridge wasn’t a normal town, but then it didn’t pretend to be. Tucked away behind a ring of low hills in New England, with jolting cobble stone streets and old gas lamps; walking into town felt like taking the New out of New England. It wasn’t easy to find, a veil of mist ringed the hills. There was only one road into town, and it passed over a small creek that marked the borders of the town, by means of a covered bridge. Curiously, not everyone saw the bridge. Driving along the old gravel, tree lined road, some saw only rough rocks and boulders cast about an impassable river. But a lucky few saw the bridge, and being of a different breed of man entirely, they passed over.

A stranger entering town would immediately notice that there were doors everywhere. Every store seemed to have five entrances, all leading into the same building. And the main street only had six stores. The only building with a single door was the bar, adorned with a bright wooden sign that read “a friend in mead is a friend indeed.” And despite the covered bridge and the gravel roads, there didn’t seem to be any cars in town. That wasn’t a surprise to the citizens, considering cars were outlawed. Lots of things were outlawed. Odder still, though there were clearly apartments above the few buildings in town, there didn’t seem to be any homes, though a visitor might have assumed they were behind the trees and down the lanes that led out of town. It didn’t seem like much for a town of Carvin Hedridge’s size, but the people never seemed to mind. The good people of Carvin Hedridge, living in a town that was different than most towns, were different than most people.

To anyone who might have seen Carvin Hedridge on a map, it was simply weird. It was a road side attraction, or to the more cynical, a tourist trap. But anyone who really paid attention would know that tourists and cartographers never made it to Carvin Hedridge. Anyone who really paid attention would realize that six doors in one building didn’t all necessarily lead to the same store. And anyone who was really paying attention would realize that Carvin Hedridge was anything but a tourist trap.

I wrote that the day before I had the dream, having absolutely no idea what the story was about. It was like writing a movie trailer and then basing the movie entirely off the trailer. It came to me out of nowhere at something like five in the morning. I felt like I'd actually been there, and writing that little blurb was like writing a journal entry about a place I'd just seen. You'll find out why that feeling is significant if I ever finish it. When I had the dream the next night, it all came together, and I set about the task of writing it.

Now on one hand it feels daunting to write something that I had such a clear impression of to begin with, and something that very quickly has become very important to me, and on the other I'm excited to get it all out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

That sounds very interesting, definitely something that would catch my interest in a bookstore, ya know?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I should think about this. I'm finishing a major project this month and may be totally unemployed come November--why not try to write a novel?

Lyrhawn, you've got me intrigued.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guinevererobin
Member # 10753

- posted      Profile for guinevererobin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and do NaNoWriMo this year. I feel bad abandoning my current novel project for the month, but... I think it and me could use some time apart anyway.

Which means I should start outlining now, or November will turn out a mess of meaningless rambling word-counting, rather then a coherent novella. I'll update when I have a plot.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in. My NaNoWriMo successes have been very hit and miss, but giving up is something only losers and occasionally smart people do!

Now, what to write. I want to start something new, as the rules state, but the books I started previously and never finished have started calling to me with new ideas.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally haven't started thinking about plot or characters, but I'm definitely in.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just updated my profile. Friend me, fellow masochists!
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I'm finally done with my master's program, so I have time to do frivolous stuff like writing novels.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Buddy me!

It's great to see so many people joining in the insanity!

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to give it a try. And I'll register just as soon as the site will come up for me. [Smile]

I stalled out on the short story I've been working on, so my novel is going to explore the backstory of a couple of the characters. The witch is having an affair with the king and his youngest son finds out about it. Meanwhile, the king's most trusted knight has vowed to avenge his son who was killed in an accident only to discover the prince was responsible.

I figure if I bring the melodrama, I'll stay interested for the whole 30 days. I get annoyed when people talk about melodrama like it's automatically a bad thing. Enough people watch soap operas that I can't be the only one who occasionally enjoys some over the top, sensational plots.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working out a fantasy novel in my head that's probably chock full of cliches, but I've got to get it all out. A "wizard" sets out to foil the plot of his fellows to take over the world, but to do it must forsake some important vows he took early in his training and enlist a uniquely talented young man in a dangerous mission. That's the framework I've got so far. There's lots more details swirling around it.

Or I'll continue a story I wrote years ago about a young couple traveling to and from Duluth, MN to find their identities again. There's a big land-boat Cadillac in the story and a mechanic named Butch. Can't be that bad.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in as TheOptimist. It sounded happy. [Smile]
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, my sister dragged me in. I am now Tricia V over there. I fired my pen name this summer. Though I guess I could log in and get all my buddy names from last year.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, right, my screen name there is JennyJenJen.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to succeed, but that isn't stopping me. I'm in again as Vadon.

I honestly have no idea what I'll write about. Perhaps it's about a wallaby that married a koala in one night of drunken passion. Now he is caught in a dilemma, he was raised in a very religious home and divorce is not an option, lest he be bound to the flaming grasp of the devil. He knows he cannot divorce her, but is there some other solution? His solution comes by the great toad mafia Croakers. They are willing to kidnap the Koala and bring her to a zoo, where our Wallaby protagonist can claim she had taken ill and died. Unfortunately, no mere zoo can keep his koala-wife in for long, and the Croakers always demand their favor to be paid back.

...Yeah, probably not going with that one, though it would be fun.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I haven't commented in a long while, but I've been lurking about.

I'm trying Nano for the first time this year. I'm going to do a YA urban fantasy. I've been researching and trying to lay out an outline. I'm a long time writer, but have never attempted a novel. I can use all the friends I can get. I'm on there as HoodieWriter.

Good luck NANOS!

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So, everyone, how goes your preparations? Panicking yet? Freaking out? [Big Grin] Only 11 more days and a few hours in my time zone until it starts...

I'M NOT READY YET!!!!!!!! [Eek!]

pooka
Member # 5003

11 days?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

What, is my math wrong? *consults fingers and toes* Oh, right, October has 31 days. Um, oops?

How about 12 days and a few more hours? Will you take that as an acceptable answer, Alex?

pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, well, that's not much better. I was trying to assent to your disbelief, but I'm too tired to employ any smilies.
KaliAngelKat
Member # 10765

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol! Not Ready Yet??????

I accidentally deleted all my outline work on the laptop, so I have to bust a move to get it all back.

If you want to buddy me, my nick is KaliAngelKat.

This year's tale is a fantasy called Karia, originally titled, Daughter of the Winds.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I'm in the spreadsheet phase, deciding what needs to be said. Then I realized my first fourth was too short and I had to bring in a whole new character. Aarg!

It's ok. I can get a backstory and motivation for one character in a week and a half. I can do this.

Kali, I love your titles. Have you thought about using both?

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is evil. I saw it last night, went to the Web site and spent a whole bunch of time (didn't check) on the forums there. Stayed up way too late and am paying for it today.

And, yes, I am already signed up as CaySedai.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I could count my thesis? I keep wanting to do this, but figure until that beast is done, I can't do something like this. My story idea is about three wizards who trained together. Magic tends to be very corrupting, so one of them is refusing to use magic at all. The other retired to a monastery and the third takes over the kingdom in a bloody coup. The two trying not to be evil get sucked in to trying to eliminate the tyrant. So, kinda cliched but it is hard in fantasy not to include some cliche.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Technically you're not supposed to use any former writing. That said, I'm going to modify the story I was working on for ScriptFrenzy but I'm starting over with a new plotline.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done NaNoWriMo the past two years. In 2005 I contemplated it, but elected not to. Last year I didn't even contemplate it. This year, I'm contemplating it again. Except it's been so long since I've done any sort of creative writing that the idea well is pretty darn dry at the moment. If inspiration hits in the next few days I'll join in, but I'm not betting on it.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forge
Member # 11101

- posted      Profile for forge           Edit/Delete Post 
My problem has never been starting stories - be they novels or otherwise - but finishing them.

Can we start a month dedicated to actually finishing current projects?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There's a website for that concept, but I forget what it's called.

Ah, here it is. http://www.zokutou.co.uk/theclause.html

N.B. It's not an "official" Nanowrimo deal. Just something someone thought would be a good idea. I had a look at it, but it's not really what I'm interested in. I already nanoedmoed my first book and it's still not done.

forge
Member # 11101

That website leaves much to be desired.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Eh, you get what you pay for.
forge
Member # 11101

Which makes me wonder where my $10,000 check went :/
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Got a new password. Invented a placeholder title. Checked out the forum and the wrimo get-to-gethers in my area. Ordered a portable laptop so that handcramps stall me not by writing in long-hand.

Now all I need is a plot, s few characters, and some lengthy ideas about descriptions of stuff.

Good lord.

Why doesn't technical writing from work count?

I'm gonna work it into the plot this year.

Why waste all those work hour words, anyhow?

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I used the block of 36 Dramatic Situations to pick what my characters would be doing. It helped that I already had one subplot in mind, but I like lists to get my mind moving. It's like having options to choose from is just what I need to get my brain out of neutral and back to work. Maybe it'll help.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Just wrote my annual NaNo column, and now it looks like I'll get to write a longer article for our print edition next week. I may get to interview Chris Baty (NaNO founder) for it! Anyone got any good ideas for questions?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
What evil demon possessed him in the first place to start this shin-dig, and what must we do to free him (and by extension, ourselves) from this ungodly torture?

How's that for a question?

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frogcat
Member # 8862

- posted      Profile for frogcat           Edit/Delete Post 
NaNoWriMo is scarily compelling. Fear of abandoning the project once started. Fear of spending too much time on the project. Fear of writing something lousy.
Confronting fears can be a great way to live. I'm gonna sign up!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Welcome, frogcat, to both Hatcrack and NaNo! [Big Grin]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The third time is a charm. This year's working title: Holy Water May Cause Hives
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Steve, cool title. [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Vampire novel?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Of course! Lyrhawn's way smarter than me. [Big Grin]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am adding y'all as buddies with abandon. The adding with abandon, not the buddies. New login name ends in -fras.

Beat me with sticks if I don't write this year!

----

Edited: Um, how do I search for people by their usernames? Where is the search button found? (Speak...very...slowly... [Wink] )

[ October 26, 2007, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

The main page still has apologies for the site's speed, so I'm guessing they haven't gotten it turned back on yet. They assure us it will be turned back on at some point.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

What AvidReader said. It's been turned off temporarily. But, if you go to the Hatrack thread on the NaNoWriMo site, you'll find a bunch of us and can buddy us that way. [Smile]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't signed up yet... but will do so soon, most likely.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Steve, cool title. [Big Grin]

Thanks, I was proud of myself when I thought of it.

Lyrhawn-
quote:
Vampire novel?
Actually, it's an adaptation of the following paragraph:

quote:
They say that anyone can come into Christ and, therefore, be forgiven. And if we are forgiven, some religions believe that means we are guaranteed a ticket to heaven. But is it really that concrete?

This idea was tested a few years back when I first rolled into town. I was bad news for everybody. You see, my name’s Damien. And I’m actually the Anti-Christ.

It's something that I came up with and jotted down on a Wal-Mart receipt.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

quote:
if you go to the Hatrack thread on the NaNoWriMo site
The site has no search feature. Could I get directions, please?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.