FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Paging Kama (or other Polish speakers)

Author Topic: Paging Kama (or other Polish speakers)
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My company is doing a day planner in Polish, and someone at our Polish branch/affiliate/whatever translated a bunch of stuff into Polish for it. However, he wasn't sure how to translate "business" because he wasn't sure of the context. It appears in a list of personal information along with name, address, phone number, and so on. You're supposed to write the name of the place where you work next to "business." It looks something like this in English:
code:
Name _________________________
Home Address _________________
Business _____________________
Business Address _____________

I hope that makes sense. So, what's the word or phrase for that in Polish?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(He can't translate "place of work"?)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's not that he can't translate it; it's that he had no context, so he didn't even know what part of speech it was supposed to be.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I'm saying he can't translate from that phrase?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that there is a time-zone issue or some other reason that another cycle to/from the translator is problematic and that Jon Boy is looking for a quick answer.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
przedsiębiorstwo:

adres przedsiębiorstwa:

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Right, I'm saying he can't translate from that phrase?

What phrase?

And why exactly does it matter to you why he didn't know how to translate it?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was just trying to help because Kama isn't on much lately that I've seen and I don't know who else speaks Polish or when they will be on.

Sheesh. Try and help a person out...

(The phrase "place of work.")

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Thanks, Kama. [Smile]

MattP: It's not necessarily an urgent thing. The guy said he'd figure out which option to go with after he saw a draft of the document. I just figured it wouldn't hurt for me to do a little research on my own.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

kq: Sorry, but it didn't seem helpful. It seemed snarky and rather irrelevant to the question of how to translate it.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
przedsiębiorstwa
You just made that up by hitting the keyboard with your forehead. Admit it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jon Boy, I was trying to explain an alternate wording that might be helpful. I'm sorry if I can't always elaborate on my intentions in every post when I'm fighting with an eighteen-month-old for control of the keyboard.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
The amazing thing is that that is actually pronounceable.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
shhhh, Tom [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A hundred years from now, it will be revealed that there's not actually any such language as "Polish," and it was all a prank pulled by a bunch of Poles.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

ketchupqueen: I just wanted to apologize for snapping at you. I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I didn't get that you were offering an alternative for him to translate and thought you were trying to confirm that he was so inept that he couldn't translate a simple phrase like that. So I hope you can understand why I'd be annoyed. Sorry.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.