FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2007 Halloween Costume Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2007 Halloween Costume Thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I am an 18 year old male, is that a serious question?

Being an 18 year old male is no excuse not to sew. It is a very useful skill.
I was going to say the same thing. My dad taught himself to sew when he was 17 and went off to college. He rectified that with my brother by encouraging us both to sew by the time we were 9. Everyone should sew.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh fine, I can stitch torn pants together, but nothing more, and not well. My step-dad does it way better than me or my mother; he has very steady hands. I, on the other hand, have horrible fine-motor skills therefore when I try to sew it is ridiculously visible.

Edit: Though now that I think about it I *should* be very good at sewing. My great-grandfather was a tailor. My grandfather expanded the business into multiple stores, and by the time my father inherited it and it went bankrupt due to over-expansion it was one of the biggest tuxedo retailers in Canada. They are all very good at sewing, as one would expect... I guess I would be too if it didn't go downhill, oh well. [Dont Know]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to do something from Buffy or Harry Potter but have no ideas so I'm thinking I'll go with my poodle skirt.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Nametag + God = Costume
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So my costume turned out pretty awesome for my choir concert and field trip. I thought I'd show it to you.

Here's a face shot.

Here's a tall shot though I hate this one because it looks like I'm pregnant. [Smile]

The purple velvet dress is left over from my high school production of the Lion in Winter (I've worn it for Halloween before.) The cape was $12.99 at walgreens. The white collar was made out of that wacky craft foam. the necklace was $5 at the Halloween store. The crown was $3 at Target, as was the blue eye shadow. [Smile] I had a little Snow White doll that I carried around on stage and pretended to strangle/hang on the microphone cord. It was fun...and now I don't think I'll actually wear the costume for Halloween.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a party Friday night where the theme was that you had to dress as someone or something dead. The male host was Marilyn Monroe, the female host was a redshirt from Star Trek, one guy was God in a white robe and big gray beard, and there were lots of generic zombie costumes, but I think my favorite was the guy dressed as a doornail [Big Grin] I went as Tonks from Harry Potter, because I already had clothes very much like what she wore in the movie, so all I needed was a wand and a dye job. I'm glad I work at an office where it's okay to have muddy-streaky purple hair for a week while it's washing out.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
God is dead! Kekeke, I like the Nietzsche reference costume.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'd thought of doing that myself, but this guy pulled it off much better than I could have so I'm glad I didn't.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a costume together, but funked out at the last minute to going to the party. Now I need to figure out a way to wear it.

It's just a blonde bob wig.

Blonde bob + aqua t-shirt + pink lipstick + sliver flashlight = Rose Tyler

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not dressing up myself but here is my 6-week-old at our family Halloween celebration this weekend. My older daughter is going as a giraffe but I don't have a picture of her in costume yet.

My little pea

[edited to add link]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff needed a last-minute costume on Friday, I dressed him as static cling (suggested on last year's thread, I believe) and he won the office contest!

We got sick and ended up skipping the ward party on Saturday. But we'll be trick-or-treating Wed., so I really need to finish Bridey's costume (I ended up with a white long-sleeved blouse and a pink, knee-length plaid skirt, trendy but professional-ish, for her to wear. I couldn't find anything blazer-ish, but I think that will be good enough. All I have to do is make her "press badge" that says "Lois Lane, reporter, Daily Planet, Metropolis", for her to wear on a cord around her neck.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lois wears white blouses with a tight grey tweed skirt to just below the knee, along with hose and some sensible flats. She is a smoker, but in this modern age conceals it and doesn't use anything as ostentatious as a cigarette case; she pounds both ends of a pack of Virginia Slims furtively, angrily and with some repressed self-loathing when she needs a drag. She has glasses but wears contacts, and typically keeps her hair up.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks Tom, but I've already got the costume. [Razz]
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate dressed up this weekend as Franzia, the boxed wine. He's a structural engineer so it came off pretty awesome. He even had a spigot attached that poured real Franzia.

Because of the accident I had in September where I lost my front tooth, I went as a pregnant redneck. Not nearly as awesome as a box of Franzia, but it worked.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
go teak-or-treating

Go with the teak, man.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
If there are any Reno 911 fans out there, I went this year as Terry. Wore his work outfit from Tacos, Tacos, Taocs, Tacos. Fourtunately there are currently no pictures to post. I looked ridiculous, From the small hat on top of my head right down to the roller skates on my feet. I've been told the best part of the evening was watching me as I rolled around the party from person to person.

I was accompanied by A spandex attired Laser Tag pro (mullet, elbow and knee pads, 1980's LT vest and cod piece), Pat from SNL, Ernie from sesame Street, Tom Cruz from Risky Business, And a bar Fly. Fun times

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going as Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. Platinum wig, aqua t-shirt, pink lipstick, and a doctored (heh) flashlight for a sonic screwdriver.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a goth/punk pirate for Haunt the Halls this year. They brought a bunch of kids through the dorms to play games and get candy and whatnot.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
My little pea

Awwwwwwwwww!!!!! [Smile]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife tried to talk my [single] brother into sticking little fuzzy chicks all over himself and going as a chick magnet. (there was talk of using little dolls instead of chicks and going as a babe magnet, but we immediately decided that that might appear WAAAY too creepy to some people!)

For the 11th year in a row, I'll be going as a beleaguered dad. [Wink]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be a greaser (I have to get a wig since I am bald) and my wife and four daughters are all going to wear poodle skirts.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was Devo. Black pants, black mock turtleneck, red energy dome. Unfortunately, no one knew who I was. 8(
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have recognized you from a mile away Avid!

edit: I would have recognized your costume [Big Grin]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I was Devo. Black pants, black mock turtleneck, red energy dome. Unfortunately, no one knew who I was. 8(

Did you carry a whip? I would have recognized you.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
I'm going as Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. Platinum wig, aqua t-shirt, pink lipstick, and a doctored (heh) flashlight for a sonic screwdriver.

So did I. Minus the wig ... and I ordered a British flag t-shirt from ebay so I was Rose Tyler from "The Empty Child". Got hubby a toy Sonic Screwdriver so he could be the doctor.

I'm SO sure I made a believable 19-year-old ... with my four kids along. [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Paging JonHecht.

My Google Fu is weak. What retailer actually makes the Dr Who coat? I'm thinking about getting my sig-o one for our anniversary. (You'd think typing "official retailer of the dr who coat" would have pulled it right up.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
These are custom made and expensive, but seem to be pretty accurate. Here's a picture of someone in one, and the same retailer's Tennant suit.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

That is amazing looking. And if we drop that much on a suit and coat for him, it guarantees I'll get the $1200 couch I want that he complained was too expensive. [Smile]

Thanks, ELJay! It's just what I wanted!

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Glad to be of service. It's a fun page to look at. . . I wonder if he'd do a women's motorcycle jacket. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.