FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Journeyman

Author Topic: Journeyman
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this show deserves its own thread, don't you?

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

(I know, it's only two episodes in, but still, just in case you don't want to know how the series begins.)

I absolutely love this show! And I say that after only discovering it this morning. During my lunch break I watched the pilot on NBC's website, and I just got finished watching the second episode in the same way.

And it's awesome. First of all, Kevin McKidd is great. He was excellent as Lucius Vorenus in "Rome", and he's just as good as Dan Vasser. I was a little worried at first that I wouldn't find his American accent believable after two season of a British one, but it works. Up there with Hugh Laurie.

I also love how Dan's adventures, at least so far, are both simpler and far more difficult than fellow time-traveler Sam Beckett. Simpler because he is able to come home after every "trip", and he is always himself when he goes. Harder because he has no holographic friend telling him his missions (there's Olivia, but so far she explains very few things), and he has to deal with the loss of use of his cell phone and being accused of counterfeiting when trying to use any 'new' currency.

A friend of mine complained that Dan figured things out far too quickly. But I disagree. A big fault of most TV shows where weird things happen to the protagonist, at least in my opinion, is how long it takes them to understand what's happening. In 2007, a world that is relatively familiar with science fiction, it would be surprising if Dan didn't figure out that he was traveling through time.

So anybody else watching?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the first episode. Tried to watch the second but my mother had been in the hospital all weekend and I hadn't slept but a total of about 8 hours the two previous nights, so I fell asleep about ten minutes in.

But, yeah, I've really liked what I've seen so far. Then again, I'm a sucker for time-travel stories. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Don;t get me started in Vorenus, I mean, Kevin McKidd.
I wonder if he pretended an English accent for Rome, since he is Scottish?

He is my vote for Jamie Fraser from "Outlander." (shiver)

Anyway, I liked the first episode a lot, then did not figure out when the show was on so missed the next two episodes. I might just watch them now on the Internet!

There are many Time Traveler's Wife comparisons that I see.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Are they up to three episodes already? Darn it! I need to see the third one. Hopefully they put it up soon.

And yeah, the accent McKidd used on Rome wasn't his natural accent. I saw an interview with him on the first season DVD, and while I don't remember exactly how he sounded, I'm sure Scottish is close.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also under the impression that there have only been two episodes shown.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't bother watching it because the concept reminded me too much of Quantum Leap.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how he tells his wife what's happening to him and has just enough evidence to make his story possible. It's a refreshing change from the standard trope of having everyone around the hero (particularly the love interest) in ignorance.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a bit squicked that the guy married his brother's wife. I'm really impressed that the brother still speaks to him.

But the first wife apparently not being dead and part of some group of time travelers was a bit weird for me. They need to do a serious info dump on that soon. I've been watching it because they play the rerun in front of something I watch. Eureka maybe? But with Eureka and Dr. Who on season break, I'm not sure I'll catch it again.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I'm still a bit squicked that the guy married his brother's wife. I'm really impressed that the brother still speaks to him.

I don't think they were married, just dating. And from some of the trips, it seems to suggest that she loved (at least had a crush on) Dan even while she was with his brother. Does that make it any better? [Smile]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The not married part does. I could easily tell she liked Dan better from the engagement speech. But I didn't like the thought of her leaving her husband for him.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
The not married part does. I could easily tell she liked Dan better from the engagement speech. But I didn't like the thought of her leaving her husband for him.

Agreed. A little squicky, but also quite realistic. Unfortunately things like that happen a lot. But still, I like the realism.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finding it pretty boring. I just can't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what happens to them.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I liked it very much. It was too hokey-familial (my wife thinks I'm crazy... nooooo...). The girlfriend who seems to be both not dead and an experienced time-traveler herself piqued my interest but not enough to make me really be interested in the show.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There have only been two episodes. I thought I had missed two of them.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
**** SPOILERS *****

I thought Livia was his Al and Ziggy all rolled into one. Looks like he's about to get a real Ziggy...

I'm finding this show quite compelling.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else catch the similarties not just to Quantum Leap, but to The Time Traveller's Wife?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.