FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My nominee for the "Say what?" statement of the year award

Author Topic: My nominee for the "Say what?" statement of the year award
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Made by Jessica Zenner, in this article, about being fired for statements made in a Blog.
quote:
Ten years ago, someone would never get fired for their blog. This is such a sign of the times.
Yes...cause blogs didn't quite exist. Yet. Wow.

Edit to add: I just thought I'd post this cause my usual snark-buddies aren't online right now and I just had to share this one.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
How long ago exactly did blogs start? Five years ago? More? Less?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Blogs technically started in the early 90's, but they didn't hit their stride until the very late 90's, and I'd say by 2001 or so they were in full force.

It's only been in the last maybe three or four years that blogs have become as ubiquitous as they are, to the point where they've approached being a household known phenomenon.

She DOES have a bit of a point though. 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago, it's unlikely you'd be fired for a blog because people weren't as aware of them, though they still existed. A company wouldn't have even thought of doing it, let along it being necessary, to scour the internet for the blogs of their employees. Apparently now, when bosses have time off they troll blog sites looking for venting employees, and specifically wade through a lack of information to root out people? Ridiculous.

Frankly my quote would've been this:

quote:
I've seen everything that she's written and it's really not work appropriate.
Uh...that's why it's on a blog, and not posted on the wall in the lunchroom at work!

Now, if she is blogging on company time, then that's different. But if she goes home and wants to bitch about her day, I don't see how that can possibly be out of bounds, especially when she uses a fake name, especially when she never even names Nintendo specifically.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a supervisor with no regard for others' feelings who likes to play thought police. Fortunately, she's not a very good supervisor and we can mostly ignore her. But if I had to deal with her as my boss, I'd quit. No whining about her on the internet, I'd just get out.

Here's hoping this turns into a positive for this woman. I'd rather see her in a job she likes.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a blog in 1997. In fact, I stopped blogging in 1999.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this interview of Rob Malda of Slashdot fame, in three months the term blog will be ten years old.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It is people's god-given right to trash bad bosses on the internets.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.