FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hiccup Cures (maylfy)

Author Topic: Hiccup Cures (maylfy)
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, i started getting the hiccups last night, and i still have them today. its starting to hurt my chest ive done it so many times now. anyone have any cures that actually work and arent just completely bogus?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
BOO!
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I can get rid of hiccups every single time by straining very hard to expel as much air from my lungs as is humanly possible. Just once or twice does it.

Sometimes other people are lucky and have similar cures that work for them but it's so widely variable that I don't think there's any way to tell what it might be, or if you got a cure at all.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to follow up with a very similar suggestion -- basically holding your un-breath with no air in your lungs, waiting as long as possible before inhaling again. Don't remember where I heard it, but it seems to work for me.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Try holding your breath while slowly drinking an entire glass of water.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Take a drink of water, but before you swallow, look up as high as you can, so swallowing is difficult. I don't know why it works, but I imagine it makes whatever muscle(s) that cause hiccups to revert back to their normal state.

I learned this 13 years ago, and have not had problems with hiccups again (as long as I had something to drink [Smile] )

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that every really works (consistantly) for me is a good scare. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to contrive those. Usually I manage to get rid of them by relaxing laying down and doing deep breaths, paying attention to the muscles in my esophagus (spelling???) and diaphram. Then I concentrate on relaxing them. It usually works, but it is never all that quick.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Have someone put their hands over your ears while you drink a whole glass of water without taking a breath. The pressure differential will fix you.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw back a shot glass (or medicine cup) of sugar. Try not to swallow it, but just to throw it back in your throat.

You'll choke a bit and it will stop the hiccups.

My dad used to do that to us when we were little. He said he learned it in med school.

It does work. Unpleasant, but works.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
A teaspoon or two of plain granulated sugar on the tongue. No liquid until it is gone.

Works every time for me and mine.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking backwards out of the wrong side of a glass seems to work for me. But it's more likely than not just a placebo of some sort. But it works.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
We drink the glass of water through a paper towel or a straw squeezed nearly shut. My theory is that it makes you work harder to get the water, and makes it that the diaphragm can't keep spasming.

I've also had success with outlandish statements designed to make the listener laugh. I've cured Cayla's hiccups by saying, "I'm pregnant. Your dad's pregnant. Grandma's pregnant. Buster (our male cat) is pregnant." She starts laughing hilariously and the hiccups usually stop.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly that never works for me. Then I'm laughing hysterically and hiccuping at the same time. Very uncomfortable!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Two bartender's tricks:

One. Take a good-sized slice of lemon and douse it in Worcestershire sauce. Bite into the lemon, eating the entire thing.

Two. Same as above, but with a slice of lime doused with bitters.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a long and drawn out history of hiccups that last for days at a time, and I've tried every "remedy" out there. I've never found one that worked. [Dont Know]

Good luck.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:

I've also had success with outlandish statements designed to make the listener laugh. I've cured Cayla's hiccups by saying, "I'm pregnant. Your dad's pregnant. Grandma's pregnant. Buster (our male cat) is pregnant." She starts laughing hilariously and the hiccups usually stop.

Usually my hiccups start *because* of out-of-control laughter.

Mine usually go away on their own fairly quickly, but a spoonful of peanut butter tends to help.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a spoonful of honey to work for me once (out of one attempt)

I usually just hold my breath and that seems to work. Resorting to honey was for an unusually tenacious fit of hiccups.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GodSpoken:
A teaspoon or two of plain granulated sugar on the tongue. No liquid until it is gone.

Works every time for me and mine.

I'll ditto this. Kind of disgusting to ingest pure sugar, but it works every time for me. I've had some serious hiccup issues in my life, too.

Haven't done it in years, though, because sugar is not my friend!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I do similar to Papa Moose's technique, but I breathe in deeply and hold it, pressing down with my diaphragm as I do so.

If I hold it for 90 seconds or so, it usually stops the hiccups. As I hold it, I can usually feel the spasm starting, and the trick is to press those muscles down so the hiccup can't hic.

If that doesn't work, the ears blocked water trick (as Lisa set out) usually works - but make sure whoever is doing it blocks your ears properly, so the pressure works.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
A spoon full of peanutbutter.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Exposure to gamma radiation.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
A good sock in the gut.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Redivert the tachyon pulse generators.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Never failed for me, I learned it at the restaurant I work at: Lemon slice covered in sugar, suck on it for a few minutes. I've told it to countless people who all swear by it.

Also, if you try that tachyon pulse generator thing, you'll want to be careful. If you overload the impulse manifold drive, you'll find yourself in a world of hurt, and the hiccups will be the least of your problems when you find you can't even form a stable warp field.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I tickle the roof of my mouth (as far back as I can reach without triggering the gag reflex) with a cotton swab.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds really dangerous if you are still hiccoughing when the cotton swab is back there!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so most of these sound like pretty good remedies, but i forgot to mention one little thing. I'm a diabetic. so yeah, the teaspoon of sugar, or the lemon/lime, or the honey - all cant really apply. i am glad to say that my hiccups are gone, but it is very interesting to hear all these crazy cures. the only one ive heard before in here were the scaring tactic, and drinking water upside-down/backwards technique. the rest are all pretty funny. thanks everyone.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Have someone put their hands over your ears while you drink a whole glass of water without taking a breath. The pressure differential will fix you.

My mother-in-law does this by putting her own fingers in her ears and drinking the glass of water through a straw. I haven't had the chance to try it since she told me.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread I realized that I honestly cannot recall the last time I had the hiccoughs. I'm talking literally years. Is that normal?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Freak.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Breathe in, slowly, counting to eight. Hold the breath for eight seconds. Exhale, slowly, counting to eight. Hold for eight seconds. Breathe in, slowly, counting to eight...

Repeat this pattern three or four times. Guaranteed.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.