FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IGMS - MMO / Electronic Gaming vs Tabletop

Author Topic: IGMS - MMO / Electronic Gaming vs Tabletop
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
(Apparently IGMS articles are free, it's just the short stories you need to pay for, cool.)
http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=columns&vol=carol_pinchefsky&article=017

Please read it before reading my post - otherwise much of what I say won't make much sense.

This article raises several interesting points, and I don't necessarily agree with all of them.
In particular, the point about online friends. I've made some really good friends online, and eventually met them in real life. To say an online friendship isn't concrete is really unfair. This isn't to say I don't have regular friends either - I also play board games once every other week or so, and go out for dinner with my roommate/friend twice a week. I just find it even easier to meet people a lot like you online, doing the things you do.

One of the reasons MMO games are so successful is the social aspect. In an MMO, you're part of something. It's like team sports - you're appreciated as part of a team, people know your name (or Screenname, depending on how picky you are about private info). More than any other reason I'd say MMOs are successful because of the feeling that people get - the one where they're part of something bigger than themselves. If people are depending on you for something, then you're more likely to do it.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I think either medium allows you to foster relationships or ignore them as you choose. I've certainly had live social interactions where I forgot all about what we did, the people involved or what was discussed by the next day; I've been part of MMO guilds where I knew most of the members' real names, approximate addresses, what they looked like, was invited to visit them, etc.

You get what you want out of it, really.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Please buy the new issue of IGMS, and make all your friends buy it toooooooo!!!!!/desperate plea.

I'm purely a table top girl. For gaming, that is. And occasionally dancing.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm purely a table top girl. For gaming, that is. And occasionally dancing.
[Big Grin] Pure awesome condensed into uni-linear form!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy tabletop gaming, be it cards games (in any form), board games, or even the enigmatic DnD. But computers, and to a lesser extent, console games, are what I really enjoy.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.