next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » joke

Author Topic: joke
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got this from a friend:
quote:
Two beggars are sitting side by side on a street in Mexico City. One has a cross in front of him, the other one the Star of David. Many people go by and look at both beggars, but only put money into the hat of the beggar sitting behind the cross.

A priest comes by, stops and watches throngs of people giving money to the beggar behind the cross, but none to the beggar behind the Star of David.

Finally the priest goes over to the beggar behind the Star of David and says: "My poor fellow, don't you understand? This is a Catholic country. People aren't going to give you money if you sit there with a Star of David in front of you, especially when you're sitting beside a beggar who has a cross. In fact, they would probably give to him just out of spite."

The beggar behind the Star of David turns to the beggar with the cross and says, "Moishe, look who's here to teach the Levine Brothers about marketing!"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

Saw the punchline coming in the third paragraph though.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, that was priceless.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*Doesn't know who the Levine brothers are*

I'm sure I'll load up wikipedia and start snickering.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
BB, obviously the guy with the cross was his (also Jewish) brother. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
BB, obviously the guy with the cross was his (also Jewish) brother. [Wink]

No no I got that, I just don't know who the actual Levine brothers, (if there are/were any) were.

^^ Geez what an ackward end to a sentence.

Is it just funny because two generic Jewish brothers are good at making money? Or is there some historical background that makes it even better?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jewish people fake relgiousity for money! Hahahahahahahahahahahaa!!!

Bleh.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

<shrug> I thought it was funny.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
And Christians only give money to other Christians.

Also bleh.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought is was funny. But I didn't realize the brothers were Jewish until KQs post. It's a very good marketing ploy.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
So it is actually a "Christians are evil and Jewish people love money more than honesty" joke. I just can't imagine why we aren't all laughing hysterically.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

A blind Jewish guy picks up a piece of matza and runs his fingers over it. He throws it down in disgust and says, "Who writes this garbage?"

So... does that imply that Jews are stupid? Ha ha, the guy thought the matza was braille.

No. It's a joke. It's based on a misunderstanding that's funny.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny. Geez, it's also playing on the Jewish "shrewd with money" stereotype. It's hardly flattering for any party.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Try this:
quote:
Two beggars are sitting side by side on a street in San Francisco. One is wearing a Bush/Cheney t-shirt, and the other is wearing an "I <heart> Obama" baseball cap. Many people go by and look at both beggars, but only put money into the hat of the beggar with the Obama cap.

A guy comes by, stops and watches throngs of people giving money to the beggar with the Obama cap, but none to the beggar in the Bush t-shirt.

Finally the guy goes over to the beggar wearing the Bush shirt and says: "Dude, don't you get it? This is Blue State central. People aren't going to give you money if you sit there with a Bush t-shirt, especially when you're sitting beside a beggar who is for Obama. In fact, they would probably give to him just out of spite."

The beggar with the t-shirt turns to the beggar in the cap and says, "And that, my friend, is what we call good marketing!"

Okay. Does this mean that people in San Francisco are "evil"? Because Javert Hugo thought the original joke painted Christians as "evil" for doing the same thing. And the beggars in this one are smart. So what?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny, Lisa.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't find it particularly funny.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Moishe is a foreign word to me. At first I thought "mushy", then I thought "quiche", then I thought "Mo-ee-shee", and that's when I figured I didn't get the joke and let it go.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Launchy, it's a name. Think "Moses."
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it funny and I think some people here should lighten up a bit. The joke was poking fun at stereotypes, not advocating them.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like that Chess for Girls commercial?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Kind of like that Chess for Girls commercial?

That thread is exactly what I thought of when I saw this one.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, tough crowd.

I'm reminded of this one. Time to get more offended over [Wink]
quote:
Heaven is like having a Japanese wife, a Chinese chef, a British home, and an American salary.

Hell is like having a Japanese home, a Chinese salary, a British chef, and an American wife.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I like traditional Japanese housing . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
and I think I'd go crazy eating Chinese every day! [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
A second grade teacher is talking to her class when she tells them all that she'll give two dollars to whoever can name the most influential man in history.

First, an Irish kid stands up and says, "St. Patrick.

The teacher responds, "No, that's not right."

An Italian kid stands up and says, "St. Andrew"

The teacher responds, "No, that's not right."

Then, A Jewish kid stands up and proudly says, "Jesus".

The teacher looks suprised and says, "Yes that's correct, come up to get your two dollars." So the Jewish kid walks up to the teacher to get his two dollars.

As he's collecting it the teacher says, "You know, I thought that since you were Jewish, you wouldn't have said Jesus."

The kid responds, "Well, in my heart I know it's Moses, but business is business."

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me while I perpetuate some negative stereotypes:

quote:

A priest, a minister, and a rabbi are trying to decide how much of their incomes its appropriate to give to the Lord.

The priest draws a circle on the ground and says, "I'll throw all my money into the air and whatever lands inside the circle I'll give to God."

The minister, wanting to be a little different, draws a circle on the ground and says, "I'll throw all my money into the air and whatever lands outside the circle I'll give to God."

The rabbi looks at the other two, draws a circle on the ground and says, "I'll throw all my money into the air and whatever God wants, he keeps."

And just to be an equal offender:
quote:
Question: Why should you always take at least two Mormons on a fishing trip with you?

Answer: Because if you take just one he'll drink all your beer!

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Question: Why should you always take at least two Mormons on a fishing trip with you?

Answer: Because if you take just one he'll drink all your beer!

*Snort*

I was not trying to turn this thread into an angry at Lisa's joke because it plays lightly on stereotypes but I suppose the joke would offend inevitably.

*shrugs*
I thought girls chess and Lisa's joke were both funny. In fact I've found almost every joke in this thread slightly funny. I think stereotypes are funny, but I also realize what a stereotype is. If I am in the company of people who do not appreciate the humor I won't utter it around them.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
*cues up a certain Avenue Q song*
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about Lisa's joke is that it's not meant to be a traditional "ethnic stereotype" joke as much as it's meant to be a Brer Rabbit joke. It's quite funny. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the joke. Then again, I'm also Jewish.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Disney should release the Br'er Rabbit cartoons on DVD, even if they'll never release Song of the South.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get the first joke, either. But it was just because I didn't know those names given were Jewish. So it would have been funnier if it was totally reversed and it was a couple Christians making money in a Jewish area with obviously Christian names.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
except christians dont have that stereotype.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Disney should release the Br'er Rabbit cartoons on DVD, even if they'll never release Song of the South.

Link. It's not the same, of course, but it does have some cool Brer Rabbit stories in it.

And there's this, which is magnificently done.

Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
except Christians don't have that stereotype.

Except since I'm not familiar with Jewish people, not only do I not know common Jewish names, but I don't know that they have that stereotype.

I think smarter people get jokes a lot easier.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
People can be so seeensitive. I like the Mormon joke.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
I found it funny and I think some people here should lighten up a bit. The joke was poking fun at stereotypes, not advocating them.

You mean kind of like that Chess for Girls commARRGH I'm too late
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.