FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Space: 1899

Author Topic: Space: 1899
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link. Can you tell that I'm resisting the project I'm currently working on?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I have to thank you for that link. Space:1999 was a regular feature in my childhood home...

but more than that, there's link from that page that absolutely made my week. Before Space:1999, Gerry Anderson made a series called "UFO". I used to watch it religiously when I was 3 or 4. I had never been able to find it since, until recently when I found it on IMDB. I still doubted my memory until, lo and behold, there are the opening credits right there on you tube, linked from the page you linked here.

I am thrilled to find I was not, in fact, imagining the whole thing. Thank you.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Sure. Glad I could help.

You know, I never saw the first episode of Space: 1999. I mean, I had the novelization of "Breakaway", but they almost never reran that one.

And then one day, I saw in the TV listings that they were going to run it. Yay!!! So I sat down that day and got ready. And 5 minutes before the show started, my father walks in and says, "Do you want to go and see Logan's Run?"

I don't know if you remember, but science fiction movies were fairly thin on the ground back in the 70s, and I was crazy looking forward to Logan's Run. I still have all three books (the movie was based on the first one). So I was hardly going to turn down the chance to go and see it.

I still haven't seen "Breakaway". Maybe I can download it...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I do recall. What was the last even decent one before Logan's Run? 2001?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Gawd... I don't know. I remember watching The Starlost on TV.
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Starlost. I didn't hink anyone else remembered that show. Also loved Space 1999. I loved all these shows as a kid. I still get a little sad that I didn't kept my Eagle One toy ship.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I do recall. What was the last even decent one before Logan's Run? 2001?

2001 was in 1968, eight years before Logan's Run...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Right...was there another moderately good sci-fi movie between the two? I honestly don't know. Apart from Disney, the only movies I was aware of before 1975 were Bond films.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still get a little sad that I didn't kept my Eagle One toy ship.
Mine is still in a closet in my parent's house.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mig:
I remember Starlost. I didn't hink anyone else remembered that show. Also loved Space 1999. I loved all these shows as a kid. I still get a little sad that I didn't kept my Eagle One toy ship.

I actually have a Starlost novelization by Edward Bryant, with a foreward by Harlan Ellison, in high dudgeon. I don't know if you know it, but he changed his name to Cordwainer Bird in the credits for that show, which is what he does when he wants to let people know that it was originally something Harlan-riffic, but that he thinks they turned it to dreck.

Still, I liked it. I can remember watching the first episode, to this day.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Right...was there another moderately good sci-fi movie between the two? I honestly don't know. Apart from Disney, the only movies I was aware of before 1975 were Bond films.

Darn it, you're gonna make me look now...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

There's Rollerball and Clockwork Orange. Oh, and Westworld. How could I forget Yul Brynner as the Gunslinger (pre-Roland)? And the Stepford Wives and The Boys from Brazil, no?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

The Boys from Brazil was closer to 1980. The others may well fit in that time frame.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.