FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The ending of 'The Golden Compass' has been reworked...

Author Topic: The ending of 'The Golden Compass' has been reworked...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Really confident the sequels will be made, I guess.

I won't know how I feel about this until I see the film.

As it is, I'm hoping nothing in Book One gets shortchanged in favor of sequel set-up.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Bill Donahue talking about this movie the other night. He's really worked up about it, he's got some big advertising campaign aimed at killing the box office for it.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. That feels more like they're changing it to give us a happy ending and a feeling of completion. I mean, the story does feel complete at that point, kinda. It's what happens in the very end that makes a sequel necessary.

If they're aiming this at kids, it makes more sense. Kids are less willing to see a movie without a proper ending, a movie that simply leads into another movie that will come out in a year or two's time.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Hm. That feels more like they're changing it to give us a happy ending and a feeling of completion.

How so? If (as the article indicates) they continue on from the open-end of the first book to the disturbing, dark opening of the second, then we won't truly be in "happy ending" territory. More obviously in "to be continued" territory, perhaps. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Here's the latest trailer, by the way.

In general it looks okay, though I wish I could say Dakota's acting impressed me.

Plus, some of the Ice Bear and Daemon CGI still looks unfinished.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
What? No, the article says what they're doing is taking the last three chapters of Golden Compass off and tacking them to the beginning of Subtle Knife, not putting the beginning of Subtle Knife onto the end of Golden Compass.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy Treat, I had originally read it just as you did, but I think Joldo is right.

From the article:
quote:
Specifically, Weitz said that the end of the first book will now constitute the beginning of the proposed second movie in what is hoped will be a troika of films.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Re-reading it, I misunderstood. Sorry, Joldo.

They must have made this decision after they cut the new trailer. Certain scenes glimpsed are definitely from the final three chapters.

(If you've read the book, you know the ones that'll go.)

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, the bear is so cute.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, til he rips your face off!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Iorek is just a big ol' sweetie-pie. Who's good at killing.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
This better be good.
The visuals are pretty nice, but some of these lines are making me cringe.
The Golden Compass is one of my many book husbands.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

ACK. There's been another 11th hour change to the film: Iorek's voice has been recast. His new voice is none other than Ian McKellan!

Much as I love Ian, he's all wrong for Iorek.

Edit: My one hope is that it's -his- 'Iorek voice' we're hearing during the new trailer, and not the old guy.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd picture
(heehee, picture)
Iorek with the same voice as that dood that did the voice for Goliath.
i think he's narating the War documentary.
Great voice.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

But Keith David wouldn't trick people into believing this is a sequel to Lord of the Rings, which has been New Line's rather questionable advertising strategy from the start.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
ACK. There's been another 11th hour change to the film: Iorek's voice has been recast. His new voice is none other than Ian McKellan!

Much as I love Ian, he's all wrong for Iorek.

Edit: My one hope is that it's -his- 'Iorek voice' we're hearing during the new trailer, and not the old guy.

No! Gyah! That's going to ruin it! You can't keep taking famous voices and put them as the voice of EVERYTHING! Eventually it all blends together and loses value. They should have kept hte original voice from the trailer, I thought it was aweosome.

Major blunder.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Specifically, Weitz said that the end of the first book will now constitute the beginning of the proposed second movie in what is hoped will be a troika of films.
What I'm really wondering is how they could possibly do the third book in the trilogy without either changing a lot of things or blatantly offending a ton of people.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Id rather they didnt change anything and offend a lot of people. Pullman might have tried to push his message on readers too strongly in book 3 but Id rather see that in the movie than not see it at all.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Chris Weitz has claimed numerous times that the Magisterium will still be innately evil. That seems to hold true in the trailers.

As far as the Authority goes, he's claimed that in films two and three everything in the book will be kept.

Of course, the studio is making clear they have their own ideas, by moving the climax of book one to the beginning of movie two.

My rather cynical guess? They new that Lord A's little rant during the real climax would clue viewers into the true message and purpose of the trilogy. They don't want to lose money on this film, so they've moved the controversial content to the next one, hoping by that time people will be hooked.

That's just my guess.

I only planned to watch the first film, as I only truly enjoyed the first book. Still, I'm wondering how happy Pullman really is with these changes. If one reads between the lines, it seems clear Weitz isn't happy.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
No! Gyah! That's going to ruin it! You can't keep taking famous voices and put them as the voice of EVERYTHING! Eventually it all blends together and loses value. They should have kept hte original voice from the trailer, I thought it was aweosome.

Major blunder.

Yeah. McKellan's Iorek voice sounds okay...but it also sounds very old and non-Ice Bear-ish. Bleah. Stunt casting!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The voice in the trailer sounded rough, and with what sounded like a Russian accent. It sounded Siberian, it sounded gruff, and maybe a little aloof.

Magneto McGandalf Bear is going to sound very strange.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagnetoMcGandalfBear
Member # 11073

- posted      Profile for MagnetoMcGandalfBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I politely disagree.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

lol
2 words
Dmitri Hvostovsky.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MagnetoMcGandalfBear:
I politely disagree.

[Laugh]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know is when "troika" became a commonly used term. I just first heard it a couple of weeks ago (when the Montreal sports media started calling the Kovalev/Grabovski/Kostitsyn line it), and all of a sudden I've heard it used about five times in various mediums.

Also, the situation reminds me of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but in reverse. Peter Hunt wanted the very end of the film (Tracy getting shot, "We've got all the time in the world...") to be the start of Diamonds Are Forever. But when Lazenby decided to leave the Bond role, they tagged it back on.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I only ever have heard the term troika in historical books in references to military or governmental matters, sort of like triumvirate only shorter and it rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

quote:
Originally posted by MagnetoMcGandalfBear:
I politely disagree.

[Laugh]
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Russian for group of three IIRC. I've just personally noticed it being used more of late in common places, and was kind of worried I had missed some anouncement. [Wink]
Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here read Lyra's Oxford? Is it any good? Worth reading?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I just saw the full trailer before Rendition.

Looks friggin awesome. Seriously cool. That monkey gave me chills.

The voice? Inferior to the one they had before. He seems more like an ursine librarian rather than a prince of the bears who has to fight in mortal combat for his throne. Bad idea. Horrible change. Won't ruin the movie for me but it won't be as good as it once was.

Maybe the DVD will have an alternate track with the GOOD voice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.