FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nat Gertler's review of 'Schulz and Peanuts'

Author Topic: Nat Gertler's review of 'Schulz and Peanuts'
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing about this book for a while, and reactions ranged between two extremes of injured Schulz worship to rather eager acceptance of everything as fact.

From the more balanced comments given in this review, I've decided to check it out.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. I'm not one who expects my heroes to be perfect. Another one of my heroes is Carl Sagan, and he was far from the ideal husband and father.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In the interest of balance, here are some in-depth remarks by Monte Schulz (Charles Schulz's son) on why he is not a supporter of this book.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Being remade in the image of your worshippers is the price of greatness, I guess.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes, had this to say about the book.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
MPH, that article by Watterson makes me want to read more of his writings. I knew the man was insightful (how else could he have created Calvin & Hobbes?), but I hadn't realized how eloquent he could be.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Good article by Watterson, though it strikes me that it's more about his own observations and gratitude towards Schulz's work that it is a review/opinion piece on the new book.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.