FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *sigh* after a while bad news just doesnt affect me anymore.

Author Topic: *sigh* after a while bad news just doesnt affect me anymore.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well I got laid off from my job. the reason they gave is that I did not have enough experience with prep work in a kitchen and that there would be no time to train me.

Bah.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Blayne. I hope you find something that works out better for you.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't they know that they would need to train you before they made the decision to hire you?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing Blayne, I suppose it's just barely possible that he may have exaggerated his skills and experience just the teensiest little bit. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne? Never! Take that back, or I will be forced to challenge you... to a battle of wits!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Look on the bright side, at least they didn't punch you in the face!
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagnetoMcGandalfBear
Member # 11073

- posted      Profile for MagnetoMcGandalfBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you just out of breath then?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Though Blayne may be not the most mature of us all, this seems like a bad time to take potshots.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Though Blayne may be not the most mature of us all, this seems like a bad time to take potshots.

Agreed.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, don't let this get you down. Go find another job. You can do it!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'll be applying at futureshop.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember Blayne. If the job says no prior experience or training required, no matter how prestigious the job is, apply for it!

Happy hunting!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting laid off/fired sucks. [Frown]
It's normal to get a little down. Just shake that off after a day or so and start job-hunting.
It was only an entry level job, and so just find another.

Also, at least you have 8 pages of procrustean maturity definitions from various Hatrackers to help out.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck on the job-hunt. Getting fired is rarely any fun but sometimes it allows people to try something different, which is always good at this age. Chalk it up to experience and dive into the next job.

And don't just apply one place, apply lots of places. Then you'll be able to compare job offers and pick a job that'll stick for awhile. Don't forget to tweak your resume and brush up on the interview skills.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Blayne? Never! Take that back, or I will be forced to challenge you... to a battle of wits!

I would have to refuse; there's no challenge in cutting down an unarmed man.

But hey, cheer up Blayne, at least your Saturdays are now free for TWBW!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'll be sure to reserve my saturday mornings for it should Futureshop hire me [Smile]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be sure to reserve my saturday mornings for it should Futureshop hire me
This kind of thinking is bad for someone in your situation.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, "futureshop" sounds like the sort of place that might see that as an asset.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
I dunno, "futureshop" sounds like the sort of place that might see that as an asset.

Actually, it might. Futureshop is the Canuck version of Best Buy (but also selling major appliances).
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy sells major appliances as well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Well I got laid off from my job. the reason they gave is that I did not have enough experience with prep work in a kitchen and that there would be no time to train me.

Bah.

What sort of prep work were you going to do? I just started getting prep shifts at the restaurant I work at, and it's insane. I never worked a 14 hour day until I started doing prep work.

Good luck on finding a new job, and yeah, I have to add that I can't believe they would hire you knowing you had no experience, and knowing they couldn't train you. Were you originally going to be doing something different?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I had some experience just not enough I had worked at Little Caesars and another Pizzaeria before hand.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.