FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Romney on medical marijuana (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Romney on medical marijuana
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can tell, it looks like the actual schedule is based on state law and tradition. NH, it seems, has a state law that their primary must be the first one. This seems pretty goofy to me. What if another state passed as state law. Civil war? Just goofy.

Another bizarre result of the difference between a group of states all jealous of their rights and powers and a nation.

It seems that the best solution for the nation as a whole that still respects the little states would be to hold primaries of the smaller states earlier and the larger states later.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure why we have to respect the little states.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "respect"?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

By "respect" I mean, "don't make them entirely irrelevant". I think as long as we have the electoral college and most states are "winner take all" with their electoral votes, having the states with fewer electoral votes go early means that it is a bit more balanced. Otherwise, we would just hold the California, Texas, New York, and Florida primaries first and the people in those states would pick the president for all of us.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Canadian, so I don't particularly get this primary thing.
As I understand it (and I could be wrong), is a primary the equivalent of a Canadian leadership convention where members of the party pick a leader for the party, except that ordinary citizens of a state are also allowed to vote for the leader?

If so, is there any particular reason why they couldn't just hold one vote in all states at the same time rather than drawing it out and having different votes in different states and having each state bicker about who can go first?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah. That would make sense. It's certainly not a new idea. But it's apparently difficult to actually bring about change when everyone distrusts everyone else.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

The parties are resistant to a one-day primary because campaigning is so expensive and it would be more expensive to campaign in the whole country at the same time. Also, people couldn't be in more than one place at a time. Again, this would lead to politicians spending all their time and money on the "big" states.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Would not those reasons equally apply to "regular" elections which are held on one day?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

In the general election the field is already narrowed down to (usually) two candidates who have all the party money and resources.

Also, the general election is covered by the US Constitution and party primaries are not.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be opposed to five or six elections, defined by region, where one state from each region gets to have their primary first, and that seat moves from year to year.

That might not be perfect, but it sure as hell is better than the status quo.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I wouldn't be opposed to five or six elections, defined by region, where one state from each region gets to have their primary first, and that seat moves from year to year.

That might not be perfect, but it sure as hell is better than the status quo.

Indeed that might not be perfect, but the system that is in place is embarrassingly bad.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.