FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Definition of Spam

Author Topic: A Definition of Spam
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
SO I'm still fairly new here, and everyone keeps talking about it. What's the difference between a "spam link" and a legitimate link.

And that's pretty much it.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ignoring formal definitions I would say that most spam will be on poster's first post. That's usually a hint.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
People get suspicious if someone posts a link advertising a product of theirs before being otherwise involved in the community. Posting a link with a message like "I thought this article was interesting, I agreed/disagreed because... What do you all think?" is entirely different however. Being a link does not necessarily mean something is spam, but trying to sell things in one way or another is.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty good definition. If you post something with a vested interest in people clicking on the link and have no ties to this community, I'd say it's spam.

If you've been here a little while and post a link to something you happen to think is awesome and just want to share to share the joy, then I'd say it's fine, so long as you don't just link and leave, you actually stick around to talk about whatever it is and have no personal vested interest in seeing the product or site succeed.

That's my personal view, but other than something blatent like a link n' leave, I think it's a giant grey area open to interpretation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam is trying to sell things. Nice people don't use their friends as a potential source of revenue.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nice people don't use their friends as a potential source of revenue.
I don't think that's universally true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I do.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that somebody who owns a restaurant is required to either turn his friends away at the door or allow them to eat for free in order to be a nice person.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe what Tatiana means is that it's not bad to get revenue from friends when it's beneficial to them, but is when you use them just because you're an interested party.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Spam is trying to sell things. Nice people don't use their friends as a potential source of revenue.

I think this might be more accurate as "Nice people don't deceive their friends in order to make money."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think that would be even more accurate as "Nice people don't deceive others in order to make money."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this site does an admirable job explaining what spam is.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally I link to F-BOD Studios stuff, which is a website from which a good friend makes her living by selling her art. Mostly in the form of snarky t-shirts, etc, featuring psychotic bunnies.

I link because I'm proud of her, and her stuff frequently makes me giggle. I studied art and am always impressed when someone manages to make a living at it, on their own terms. [Wink] Also, there's a lot of wit involved in what she does.

But I don't think that's spam.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I think that would be even more accurate as "Nice people don't deceive others in order to make money."

I think it would be even more accurate to say "Nice people don't deceive others."

Now, somebody boil that down!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nice people.. just don't"

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
How about: "Nice people are nice."
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

I think it would be even more accurate to say "Nice people don't deceive others."

Now, somebody boil that down!

"Nice people don't deceive."

Hah!

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But if you deceive yourself, you can persuade yourself you are nice pretty much regardless of your actual behavior.

P.S.

Norms differ on the practice of posting a link without any information on where it goes. Some people want to create a humorous experience through indicating one response and then, if someone were to go to the link, finding out what is there. I'm not such a fan of that, but people keep doing it so it must work for some of them. There's also the one word + link thing, which I find a violation of Grice's principles of relevancy.

But I'm not really sure I want to wind up in the Heaven/other place for people who have adhered to Grice throughout their lives.

The ironic thing about new member SPAM is most of it is pretty up front about where they are sending you.

On the general topic of network marketing, I'm not really sure why it is now anathema to me, whereas before 2003 it was not. I'm inclined to think people involved in it don't quite grasp what friendship is about. I still don't know what friendship is about, but I'm no longer conforming my learning process to network promoters.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Nice people don't deceive others."
Actually.... It is not nice to deceive others, but nice people frequently do things that aren't nice.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
quote:
"Nice people don't deceive others."
Actually.... It is not nice to deceive others, but nice people frequently do things that aren't nice.
You win.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.