FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First "Lady"

Author Topic: First "Lady"
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I usually post on the other side however, as a Canadian I was wondering IF Hilary Clinton (spelling?) becomes the new President of the USA what does that make Bill? First Man sounds wrong ... almost... im not sure however I have been unable to think of anything better, first gentleman maybe?
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lady is to Gentleman as Woman is to Man, so First Gentleman would indeed be the equivalent.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh yes it's ladies' night and the feeling's right,
Ooh yes it's ladies' night , oh what a...
Oh what a night...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about the only way Bill Clinton is ever going to be called a gentleman.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Troi: I sense bitterness.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Lords and Ladies.
So Bill will become the First Lord

[ October 18, 2007, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't we just call him first pimp so he can drive around in a dropped '72 ElDorado?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
First Pimp LOL
First Playa

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but the idea of referring to him as First Lord Clinton makes me...really happy. It's tickling my fondness for the absurd [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Lord Zipper.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Time Magazine had an article several months back asking the same question, and the concensus was that he'd be the "First Gent".

Yeah, it's gonna be weird... Bill seems like the guy that, when you're at the party, would be the one to tap the keg.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
"First Lord Clinton" is pretty epic.

And, you know, all of the presidential spouses have this long-running tradition of wearing a specific dress for their photograph. Y'think Bill will follow suit?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So that's why the dude in Halo 3 is called Lord Hood. Got it.

I'd go with "First Man" if it were up to me. But no one has followed me on calling this decade "the digits" so I won't hold my breath. No one talks about this decade as anything. Everyone's so serious nowadays.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

And, you know, all of the presidential spouses have this long-running tradition of wearing a specific dress for their photograph.

As opposed to a general dress?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think it's the inaugural ball gown, and the photo becomes their signature, of sorts.
pooka
Member # 5003

Wait, look what I found on Wikipedia:
quote:
The entire family of the head of state may be known familiarly as the "First Family".[5] Should a female hold the office, the term First Gentleman may be the alternative to First Lady, though First Consort or some other style may be used.
First Consort. That is fraught with emotion... of some sort.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bill seems like the guy that, when you're at the party, would be the one to tap the keg.
As opposed to our current President, who would be the guy who swears he knows how to tap a keg and then ends up shooting beer all over the place.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Dubya is the guy who danced nude on a bar counter while hammered outta his skull cuz the cocaine wouldn't let him pass out.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
In Michigan our governor's husband is referred to as the First Gentleman. I think that is what Bill would be if Hillary wins.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a general dress?
Don't ask, don't tell.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
In a Scottish vein, how about "First Laddie"?
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, right. Utah had a woman governor for a while. I don't ever remember her husband being discussed, though.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
Bill seems like the guy that, when you're at the party, would be the one to tap the keg.
As opposed to our current President, who would be the guy who swears he knows how to tap a keg and then ends up shooting beer all over the place.
No, that's the Vice President.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The Vice President paid for the beer, for sure.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
He's also an amazing shootist.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Am The War Chief
Member # 9266

- posted      Profile for I Am The War Chief   Email I Am The War Chief         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it not also customary to always call former presidents "mr president" etc, , , so they could possibly be mr and madame president?
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol. Mr. and Mrs. Presidents Clinton?

Four years of that will get funny.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, President is the only political title that you are NOT supposed to continue using after leaving office. Not that people follow that these days, but it is not technically proper. You're supposed to revert to your highest previous title, so Bill Clinton should currently be addressed as Governor Clinton or referred to as Former President Clinton. There is to be only one Mr./Madame President at a time.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

As far as I know, the title "President" can continue to be used after one leaves office.

Also, do keep in mind that Bill does reserve the right to have "Hail to the Chief" playing *anywhere* he goes, even after leaving office.

I can imagine Hilary meeting with heads of state while Bill's in the White House basement bowling.

BTW, seems appropriate to post this, "Clinton's Final Days":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ep4ss_eaY

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Why can't Hillary have a First Lady?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HGxTk6XEWf0

aspectre
Member # 2222

Keep in mind, I reserve the right to have Hail to the Chief playing *anywhere* I go.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course we all know that the actual name of the tune that is used for the presidential salute is "Evergreen Pine". Right? "Hail to the Chief" is a lyric that is often used with that tune
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Uh... yeah... yeah, we did. Sure...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Better known as "Hail to the Chief". [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
A semi-serious guess would be to formally announce them as President and Former-President Clinton.

"Lord" would surely require some from of royal patronage?

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Of course we all know that the actual name of the tune that is used for the presidential salute is "Evergreen Pine". Right? "Hail to the Chief" is a lyric that is often used with that tune

Just like we all know that "To Anacreon in Heaven" is the US national anthem.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
A semi-serious guess would be to formally announce them as President and Former-President Clinton.

"Lord" would surely require some from of royal patronage?

It depends on the situation. When Mr. Clinton is giving a speech or fundraising, it's appropriate to refer to him as Former President, because that's primarily why he's there.

But at state occasions where he's there primarily as the husband of the president, that's not so important, and it would be more appropriate to call him the First Gentleman or First Consort.

And yeah, calling him a "Lord" smacks too much of the British monarchy to my American ears. I doubt that would happen.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think "consort" has connotations in the US culture that might not be shared to that extent with other cultures.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah. You're right, so that's probably out.

I'd put money on First Gentleman.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
First Dude.

It's all good, baby.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I anticipate most news organizations just falling back on 'Governor Clinton'. I wonder what he would put in his press releases, though.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.