FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, Microsoft Hates non-Microsoft

Author Topic: Okay, Microsoft Hates non-Microsoft
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I get it. Now XP's blocked Firefox and AVG from connecting to the Internet.
My fault. XP "security" kept popping up the "Do you want to connect?" with the default "Always Connect" when I didn't -- and wouldn't allow me to shut down -- until I eventually clicked "Never Connect" by accident.

So how do I get XP to unblock Firefox and AVG?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
You could just switch to Opera. [Smile]
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Open the firewall settings in the control panel. You should be able to set it to ignore Firefox from in there.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Or just go to the [Start][Settings] [Control Panel] [Windows Firewall] and shut Firewall off, then get yourself a REAL firewall. Personally, I like Zone Alarm which has a free version. It can be downloaded from -

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp

Click on the Free Version at the end, then on the next page Click on the Green [Download Now] button.

As far as I know the Microsoft Firewall mainly annoys the user while offering little or no protection.

I just bought the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite at Fry Electronics for $40 with a $40 rebate. Even at $40, it is still $19 cheaper than anyone else.

Actually, I just checked, it's now $49, but that is still cheap.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5259507;jsessionid=0M-H9apfABYC1MJcHe3kEQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.