FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any advice before upgrading to cable internet (Roadrunner) from Time Warner?

Author Topic: Any advice before upgrading to cable internet (Roadrunner) from Time Warner?
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes it is true.

Finally, the internet gods have seen the plight of Pennsyltuckians and have decided to bestow this armpit of humanity with the means and desire to fulfill broadband access for all. Yes, those who live somewhere between BFE and Timbuk Two, otherwise commonly referred to as "the sticks" will finally have something other than dial-up! Yes, I know there are dish-based ISPs like HughesNet and GreatBlue - (I think this is right???), but I never read or heard many favorable comments with them, and mostly, the latter... However, I digress.

Anything I should know up front before plunging into cable internet? I DO NOT have access to DSL becuase of geographic location, so it is either dial-up or cable for me. Kind of a no-brainer, but I just wanted to hear the brilliance of you, the river-dwellers, to help fill in the gap that is my own self-ignorance.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on roadrunner cable modem now for 5 or 6 years. It's worked well for me. Once or twice when it was getting very slow, I called and complained and they came and replaced something and fixed it. They said lightning had burnt a hole in the insulation of some cable and the signal was degraded. Then it happened again later and they said some other reason. I'm not sure if those were correct. Maybe they just put better electronics in our neighborhood or something.

So that's my only advice. If it slows down, complain. [Smile]

Oh you will be so spoiled now after dial up. When you click on pages, they just load almost instantly. No more waiting for pages to load! [Smile] You'll never go back.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes I am excited...The gentleman that runs our local cable service is also a client and I jokingly told him I would pay anything for cable internet and would give him up-front money if he needed to jump-start the process. Well, 2 years later he remembered our conversation and was nice enough to stop in to see me and offer up for me to be first on the list of customers to get cable installed. I found this whole thing surreal and very entertaining, because usually in my daily life I am the last to know and don't usually have good connections to exploit as such. So I strutted around like Borat saying, "King of the castle! King of the castle!" and did this little dance. After a few drinks, some cough syrup, and a listen with a few Allman Brothers albums, I have calmed myself substantially and no longer giggle like a pubescent boy during a Hooters commercial.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[ROFL]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, they actually LISTEN when you complain? Wow, if only Comcast did that.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

They did fix it! Twice! [Smile]
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you don't already have some sort of firewall installed and turned on, this would be a good time to do so.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Thank you, Peg. Done and done.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Roadrunner.

We used to have Comcast and it was GREAT. Then Time-Warner bought them out in our area and now their service is teh suck. Despite their ads saying it's the fastest available, Roadrunner is SLOWER than our old cable internet. Their customer service is crap. We have slowdowns multiple times a day and outages at least three times a month.

I hate Time-Warner.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss my cable modem, but Comcast lies, and I won't let them screw me out of my hard owned money.

I signed up for a 6-month deal for $19.99. After 5 months, I called and told them I was not willing to pay $62 a month, so I would be canceling the service, as was my right under contrat, after the 6th month. They pffered to extend the deal another 3 months. I didn't get the bill the first month, so I called and asked about it....and when it came it was full priced. I have the name of the person I sopke to, the day AND the time I called, but none of it did me any good.

Screw Comcast. I am signing up for DSL. I can get a house phone # AND ADSL for under $50.

[ October 21, 2007, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.