FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hollywood is Terrible With History!

Author Topic: Hollywood is Terrible With History!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"it's possible this was intended strictly for his personal use."
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
This is news?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

You didn't read the column, did you? [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Not before I posted, no [Frown] . But I just did...

Kind of funny, but on a more serious note Hollywood is totally inaccurate when it comes to historical movies.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

[ROFL]
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Kind of funny, but on a more serious note Hollywood is totally inaccurate when it comes to historical movies.

I have two words for you: Independence Day.

Also, history itself tends to be historically innacurate.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What does Independance Day have to do with Hollywood being generally crummy with historical films?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
It was the best historical film that ever came out of Hollywood.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping for something more substantial. When I read it was Eric D. Snider, I was hoping the jokes were going to be more substantial. He usually does better than this. As it is, I think he could have just said, "all those who complain about the innacuracies of Hollywood movies take Hollywood too seriously."
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Do you think that was his point?

Personally, he was just doing humor of the absurd...in this case, rattling off "errors" in historical films that were obviously in error. [Smile]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
It needed some indication that he knew the "errors" were errors. There wasn't anything there that tipped you off he wasn't a totally clueless 12 year old. So maybe it was supposed to be satirical of 12 year olds... but, again, there needs to be some indication of intent, and I didn't see any.

It COULD have been hilarious. Instead, it just seemed like a 12 year old wrote it.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
There wasn't anything there that tipped you off he wasn't a totally clueless 12 year old.

If you can read a line about Burt and Mary doing meth in "Mary Poppins" and -not- think "Hmmm...this author is just being silly", then I think you're missing some anvil-sized tip-offs! [Razz]
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I would say its more likely a 12 year old wrote that then someone parodying a 12 year old.

Maybe I am made cynical by my 14 year old students, though.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Robin Williams line did make me laugh, though.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but that was a very obvious satire and I think there's nothing more he could have/should have done to shove the point home.

Funny, funny stuff! [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Satlin:
It was the best historical film that ever came out of Hollywood.

No, no, no... You're referring to Hudson Hawk, the movie that made Leaonardo da Vinci rise from the dead and say "wait... I did WHAT?"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.