FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm old...

Author Topic: I'm old...
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So we're watching Ratatouille with Tova, and it gets to the part where Anton Ego is writing his review. Typing it, I mean.

Tova asks, "What's that?"

We tell her it's a typewriter.

She says, "What's a typewriter?"

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember using a typewriter in the 7th grade. It was the coolest thing that I had ever seen.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...don't leave me hanging! What IS a typewriter?

[Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the feel of typewritten words. There's nothing like a printer that actually imprints the words on the paper, rather than merely applying the ink to the surface.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid my family was, apparently, "early adopters". We were the first among our friends to have a digital clock. It was on the bedside table in my parents' bedroom. It wasn't LED, though. It had these little cards that would flip to the new number.

My friends used to come over to watch the time change. They'd come by in the morning, so that they could see the big event of 9:59 flipping to 10:00, which was the best, since all four cards flipped at once. Then they'd stick around watching it for another hour or so, so that they could catch 11:11, which was cool because all the cards showed the same number.

After that, we'd ask each other, "What do you wanna do?"

"I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

So, you think YOU'RE old? Ha! It's a wonder we didn't all cut our wrists and get it over with just to escape the ennui!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The answer.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! When I was your age we didn't have web comics. We had Nancy, and Richie Rich, and the Archies.

It's a wonder any of us survived the ennui.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so when I took P-Chem in college calculators were just coming out and cost >$300 so the Prof didn't allow anyone to use them because not everyone could afford one. Slide-rule was not accurate enough so we had to use Logs to do all our problems. (no wood jokes please). It would take pages of adding and subtracting to do the problems.

I had this great little round slide-rule with a copy of the Periodic table on back and a slide out card with all kind of formulas. It fit in my pocket protector [Smile] .

I guess I qualify as old.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had to explain to my niece how a vinyl record works.

She looked at me like I was crazy, forcing me to show her that these things actually *do* play music... "badly", according to her.

"But uncle... that's so archaic!"

I was impressed that a twelve year old would use the term "archaic".

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a co-worker over one evening for dinner. We were playing a large reel-to-reel tape, 7.5 IPS, with all of Glen Miller's recordings on it. She commented on the "no commercial radio". When I explained about the tape, she asked if it were not some "new kind of cassette"
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a typewriter often while I was on my mission.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 14 I took a typing class on real typewriters. The school only had so many electric ones so I had to use a manual one.

I was SO tiny and my little fingers couldn't push down the very stiff keys hard enough. As a result I typed VERY slowly and ended up with a D on my mid-semester report card. I'd never gotten one before and I was terrified.

Fortunately for the 2nd half of the semester we swapped and I got an electric. That brought my grade up to a B. whew!

Tante: I wish we'd had webcomics when I was little. Just think of the huge head start I could have had embarassing myself on the internet.

Tristan: I didn't know that rule when I was single =(

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I am reminded of the Beatle-like vultures near the end of Disney's The Jungle Book
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We were playing a large reel-to-reel tape, 7.5 IPS, with all of Glen Miller's recordings on it.
You could have stopped there and not needed a punchline. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I once had to explain to my niece how a vinyl record works.

I had the exact same conversation with my 21 year old brother the other night. He found it hard to believe you could play music by putting a wire down on a plastic disk. He's not really into history or "thinking too much"...
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, it was a thrill a minute at your house back then!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be Glenn Miller
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Tante, it was a thrill a minute at your house back then!

Quite literally, yes. For some definition of "thrill".
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I used to be Glenn Miller

So that's where you went!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We played all the "Sing Along With Mitch" (Mitch Miller) albums in the evenings when I grew up.

My sister and I can still launch into an impromptu duet of "Sweet Violets" anytime anyone goads us into it [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here all along.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a computer in my house as early as kindergarden based on my teachers advice that I proficient at using them. Every school I attended after that had a newly constructed computer lab and we took classes so that we would know how to type, use MAC OSs, and later Windows.

We still had typewriters in the library however and they were still superior at filling out forms.

In the English department we could write our assignments on a computer or on a typewriter and it was purely based on preference.

The *tick* *tick* *tick* of a typewriter is still more musical to my ears then the *tucka* *tuck* *tucka* of a computer.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've been here all along.
OK then, I want to know, was it the "little French girl in trouble" and the Army helped you to disappear? That rumor has been around at least since 1945.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The *tick* *tick* *tick* of a typewriter is still more musical to my ears then the *tucka* *tuck* *tucka* of a computer.
Get yourself an IBM brand, "old school" keyboards. You know, the ones you can drive your car over and they'll still work.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine, a generation without the comforting smell of correcting fluid - mmm correcting fluid...

I myself am on the cusp. I remember the pain my Dad used to go through with type-written stencils and the duplicator to print the parish magazine.

Ah, the eold days are the eoldest...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when photocopiers put out this shiny paper that came out warm and smelling of something akin to ditto fluid. Mmmm... ditto fluid.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
We played all the "Sing Along With Mitch"
My sister and I can still launch into an impromptu duet of "Sweet Violets" anytime anyone goads us into it [Smile]

Shvester!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I remember when photocopiers put out this shiny paper that came out warm and smelling of something akin to ditto fluid. Mmmm... ditto fluid.

And they wondered why those SAT scores kept falling . . .
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother in law gave us a typewriter because she thinks that when the drop the bomb all the computers will stop working.

Because when all the computers have stopped working, you can't just handwrite your letters, apparently.

But my daughter thinks its cool.

I used to have a manual typewriter. Man, I loved that thing.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
OK then, I want to know, was it the "little French girl in trouble" and the Army helped you to disappear? That rumor has been around at least since 1945.
Don't know. I was born in 1964. I was Glenn Miller from 1972 to 1978. Played trombone too.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I played trombone in school because of Glenn Miller.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad always made fun of Glenn Miller cause it was the music old people liked when he was growing up. <launches into parodic version of "string of pearls">

Games Magazine had this cool visual game once where you find the anachronisms in this picture that was purportedly from the 1970s. The dude had a fro and stuff. It was funny. I got all the anachronisms except for the sticky note. Who remembered that we used to live without sticky notes? I can't imagine such a time, even though I know intellectually that it was true. It must have been a poor paltry sort of life, just the same.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
In the gym yesterday a kid was running on the treadmill next to me at 8.5 mph texting the whole time on his cell phone. [Cry]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am reminded of the Beatle-like vultures near the end of Disney's The Jungle Book
I'm sorry.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
My family's always been on the cutting edge. My dad was a microfiche reader salesman. [Smile]

I had a typewriter I used for making my school papers look more "professional" than the alternative requirement of double-spaced cursive. Wish I still had it for my kids to play with. My mom still uses her electric typewriter for her business. It's easier to fill in small-size forms on a typewriter than any other way.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

One of my accomodations to my geo-batchlor status, is the resurection of my Pentax K1000 camara. I've found lots of fun toys to attach to it on the e-bay and am having a ball. It is surprising how many people ask me to "send me that picture when you get home". Unfortunatly, I haven't found any way to connect the camara to the computer for the download. Seattle Film Works (or what ever they call themselves now) will put them on disk if I wanted. I might have to try that just to share.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

quote:
I played trombone in school because of Glenn Miller.
I played trombone in school with Glen Miller.
Actually, I did study with Tex Beneke's lead tenor sax picker.

firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
You had comics!!! All we had were cardboard boxes ...
Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I love "The Typewriter" by Leroy Anderson. Wonderful use of musical onomatopoeia. Brilliant.

Here is an excerpt. This recording seems to use an actual typewriter, though versions that I have played use a woodblock, wooden ratchet, and a bell set (glockenspiel). Enjoy!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking of Glenn Miller, my dad is named after him, hence why my dad has the rather less common spelling that incorporates two 'n's rather than a singular 'n'.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

Yes, I missed that. I knew better. Sorry.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
And speaking of Glenn Miller, my dad is named after him, hence why my dad has the rather less common spelling that incorporates two 'n's rather than a singular 'n'.
In my experience, most Glenns have two "n"s in their name. In fact, I found a reference in a dictionary one time that said that glen with one "n" is a narrow wooded ravine, while Glenn with two "n"s is a boy's given name. I like to quote that from time to time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.