FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Steven Colbert -- Out of Character

Author Topic: Steven Colbert -- Out of Character
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the first time I've ever seen Colbert break character. It was... weird. Like it wasn't really him.

Link.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That was...freaky.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew he was at Second City. No wonder he's so funny.

That's an interesting clip.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
He's done a lot of out-of-character interviews in the past few weeks.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. That IS strange.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
It's because he is actually considering running for president and wants people to get to know the real him!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's because he is actually considering running for president and wants people to get to know the real him!"

No.

---

You guys should watch the actual interview. Comedy gold [Smile]

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIs2z2JNvNE

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8JbBFNCRp1A

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
He just published a book. Presumably it's easier for him to get interviews as his real persona.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll link it when I get home if no one wants to go look, but there's a really, really long interview with him on Charlie Rose where he is out of character and talks about a lot of stuff, and I think that took place over a year ago.

I think when he was first starting his show it was hard for him to be out of character because he had to establish the character first, but now that he's been on the air for two years, people get the difference now and he can be himself in public when they are actually interviewing him and not his character.

I believe he was hired onto the Daily Show in the late 90's after his work at Second City. In fact, I've heard that he changed the pronunciation of his name and worked hard at eliminating his southern accent before going to Chicago.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like him as himself so much more than I like the Stephen Colbert character. [Smile]

Lyrhawn, I would be interested in seeing that interview.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That should pop out the right interview. Just hit the play button on the tiny window. I'll look for it on YouTube as a backup.

The interview took place December of 2006, so about a year ago.

The only thing I didn't like was something he said and I've heard Stewart say it too: Something about how the comedy comes first and they don't really focus on the message. I don't believe that. And I think the interview with Russert proves that they DO have something they want to get it out and comedy is their medium. They care about what they are saying and what they are doing.

PS. If you want to see something from his Second City days, in other words, him being himself and still funny, look up the two episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway?" that he was in. He thinks pretty damned fast on his feet.

PPS. Here's a Google Video link to the whole interview, but you have to fastfoward to the second half of the interview.

PPPS. Found some Whose Line links:

One
Two

There are more, that's just a sampling.

[ October 22, 2007, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting this "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player" message a lot lately on YouTube. I install it, and I keep getting the message. And I have Javascript enabled. Grr...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
He's actually quite charming in person.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Colbert is awesome.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird. I knew that his character on his show was not who he was in real life, and yet when he displayed his real personality (I think) in this clip it was the person I had believed was behind the character. I was very impressed with his reason for not letting his younger children see the show.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lyrhawn, I watched the Charlie Rose interview. I'm actually a much bigger fan now that I know the man behind the mask, as it were. Quite an interesting, clever, reasonable guy [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
... I was very impressed with his reason for not letting his younger children see the show.

I felt that was an nice and interesting bit too.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
He was also on Fresh Air out of character a week or two ago
Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.