FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not in Nottingham...

Author Topic: Not in Nottingham...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Some info on the upcoming revisionist take of the 'Robin Hood' legend.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a break
Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to a new Robin Hood movie, even one with the sheriff as the hero. But the Gladiator of Robin Hoods? Ugh. Much less interested now.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm still healing from that Kevin Costner version.

(Though really, Alan Rickman was a delight.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVED the Kevin Costner Robin hood. The shot where he's shooting the bow with a flaming explosion in the background is one of the greatest in cinema history.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I loved how he looked tired and disinterested for most of the movie. [Wink]
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
I'm still healing from that Kevin Costner version.

I'm still healing from Waterworld. Although, in general, any show with a "super producer" can't be all bad.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents used to record Robin of Sherwood for me back in the 80s. I loved Guy of Gisburne in it. He was often right about things, but the sheriff was used to thinking of him as an idiot and ignored him. The best episodes were when the king would show up. He decided to pay peasants for descriptions of Robin so they could hunt him down. Everything conflicted and he spent a good portion of the show throwing things at poor Gisburne. I didn't blame him when he joined the crazy Norse doomsday cult in the last episode.

I'll probably never love another Robin Hood like I did Jason Connery, but I'm willing to give most of them a chance. Robin just has such a great mythology.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind the Kevin Costner version at all.

But this version, while it has merit, looks dumb. I think Russell Crowe is a very poor choice to play Robin. I could see Clive Owen doing it though.

Plus it just bugs me that they're tweaking the history to create this. Richard Couer de Lion made it back from Outremer and fought a largely successful war against the French before being hit by an arrow whilst stupidly not wearing his armor during a castle siege. At that point John took over, though a great many weren't happy with that, especially his French territories.

But I guess historical correctness isn't absolutely necessary for a story like this, though I'd prefer some better casting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Russel Crowe was the sheriff?
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone said something of Costner's Robin Hood along the lines of "When Alan Rickman is on screen, it's as though he were in an entirely different movie. Unfortunately for Costner, it's also a better movie."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
I thought Russel Crowe was the sheriff?

I think Russel Crowe is a bad choice for ANYONE in the movie. I'll be more general.

It's not that I don't like him, it's that even with a pretty good record, when it's overplayed, it's overplayed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.