FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cure for Aids?

Author Topic: Cure for Aids?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not really a "cure," since you have to take the medication for the rest of your life... but it promises to be a full, healthy life.

Medication blocks the formation of HIV in the human body.

Thoughts from the medicos?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick thoughts: "Combination therapy" sounds like a euphemism for an "evolutionary" expensive new drug cocktail rather than a "revolutionary" new development.
The article is unclear, but my initial guess is that it will merely prolong life for over existing anti-retroviral vaccines rather than reducing HIV to a lifetime "chronic" state. I'll take a closer look at the source, time permitting.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Combination therapy is not new, it has been around for a number of years. People that I know on it have had remarkable recoveries from the point of death to normal lives. Their CD4 counts are in the normal range and the viral loads are undetectable. It is expensive, it has to be taken every day for the rest of their lives (or drug resistance can happen) but it allows for a normal life without great fear of all the opportunistic diseases that show up as your immune system is compromised. One of the concerns however is that no one knows the long term consequences of taking these drugs. I know people that have been on one type of HIV medication or another for 15 years and their great fear is what is what is it doing that they do not know about yet but they are very happy with what they have today.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.