FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer game help, pt. 2

Author Topic: Computer game help, pt. 2
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded an old favorite computer game of mine: Eagle Eye Mysteries in London, copyright 1993. Fantastic fun -- except that I can't get the sound to play! It goes in fits and starts -- for instance, the intro plays the sound of Big Ben ringing, but not the accompanying music. Also, the character voices aren't working...that's the best part! I'm sure it's just a matter of not having my computer calibrated to play the music, but i'm not sure where to begin to fix that?

edit, update: got the Dosbox working, and the game plays music, but the characters don't talk -- any advice?

[ October 29, 2007, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're running Windows XP try putting the game in the appropriate Compatibility Mode. To do this right click on the program, go to properties, click the compatibility tab, check the "run this program in compatibility mode for:" box and choose the oldest option on the list (I think it's Windows 95). In my experience that fixes odd problems like the one you're having maybe 50% of the time.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

did it, but it didn't change anything! thanks anyhow...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
1993, thats old enough for DOS.
You should try something like Dosbox which emulates a DOS environment. I see on the compatibility page that it has been successfully tested

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very possible that the sound for that game expected direct hardware access to a SoundBlaster-style card, and therefore might not work at all on a modern PC. There are SoundBlaster emulators available, I believe, that will run in software and pretend to be an old-school sound card.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Anything from that period is going to need DOSbox or another DOS emulator to run properly.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

There's a setup button that allows me to choose from a list of 6 different sound...thingees. Soundblaster is among them, and when i choose that option it does play a handful of sounds, which stop once the intro is over. That's weird that i would need the emulator for that, i downloaded and played "Ancient Empires" which is even older than Eagle Eye, and didn't have any trouble with the sound.
Leonide
Member # 4157

i am computer illiterate...Mucus, i downloaded the Dosbox you recommended, and got it open on my desktop, but it's telling me that entering "mount c c:\dosprog\" will create a new c drive, that i can then replace with "my own games directory"....first off, it's not creating that drive, and secondly i don't even know what my "own games directory" is!
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
A program running in dosbox doesn't know anything about your computer that dosbox doesn't tell it. The program isn't using the Windows file system, so it doesn't know where or what your C:\ drive is. Dosbox has to tell it that, so you have to give Dosbox that information before you run any programs. That's why you use the mount command. The idea behind Dosbox is that you can create a folder on your "real" C:\ drive which Dosbox can mount as a "virtual" C:\ drive. Placing your DOS game folders inside that folder lets you access them in Dosbox. (That folder can be anywhere, but most people use c:\dosprog.)

When you use the "mount" command, you're not creating another drive as much as you're telling dosbox to "tell the programs that this Windows folder, C:\DOSPROG, is my C:\ drive." That "virtual" C:\ drive only exists in dosbox.

Typing
code:
mount c c:\dosprog

into dosbox will mount the folder C:\DOSPROG as a virtual C drive. If the folder c:\dosprog exists, you'll be given a prompt, "C:\>". Again, this prompt doesn't represent the "real" C:\ drive; it represents dosbox's virtual C:\ drive -- which is actually C:\DOSPROG.

--

Say I had Captain Comic and I wanted to run that in dosbox. The folder COMIC contains all the program files, including COMIC.EXE. First, you'd make a DOSPROG folder on your "real" C drive. Then you'd move the entire folder COMIC into C:\DOSPROG.

Then start up dosbox and type
code:
mount c c:\dosprog

to mount "c:\dosprog" as your virtual C drive. (If I typed "dir" at this point, I'd see the contents of dosbox's virtual C:\ drive. Remember, the virtual C:\ drive is really the C:\DOSPROG folder, so I'd just see the subfolder "COMIC" that I moved there.)

Now if I wanted to run Captain Comic, I'd type
code:
cd comic
comic.exe

The first line moves me into the COMIC subdirectory, the second line runs the executable and starts the game.

--j_k

[ October 26, 2007, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
There are various shell GUIs available for Windows that work with Dosbox and provide wizards that make "mounting" DOS games much, much easier. I'd give you the name of the one I've been using, but, unfortunately, I don't remember (and it's back on my desktop). Google is your friend.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading JTK's post, I don't know how I ever survived using DOS on my first computer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use D-Fend for a DOSbox frontend, but I don't think it's being developed anymore. Looks like there are several good ones at the DOSbox site.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you how many times DOS saved my computer from Windows shenanigans. Weird that they were both designed by the same person.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They weren't. DOS was purchased.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Ah, the joys of working out whether a game was supposed to use extended memory. Or expanded memory. Or that weird little block above 640K... <sound of banging head against desk>

I think D-Fend is the one I used to use.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

i used all my computer-fu and managed to get it to do everything you said, JTK, and it worked! Except the music is playing, but not the voices! [Frown] i don't know what that means, whether dosbox can't handle all the voices or what, but normally all the characters talk! Everything else worked just like you said it would, though.
Leonide
Member # 4157

edited first post -- still having trouble, if anyone can advise?
Sterling
Member # 8096

My only guess might be that somehow Dosbox is configured to emulate a card that produces music- like the Adlib or Roland cards- but not sound, like the Soundblaster cards. And does the game itself have some kind of internal setup or configuration program?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing -- given the time period, it's possible that the game uses a MIDI device for music, and something else for voices.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
More likely if you downloaded a pirated version of the game, it has the dialogue removed for ease of distribution- especially since a lot of those old games used barely compressed or completely raw wav files for sound for compatability reasons.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that DOSBox doesn't properly emulate some sound. It has very basic sound emulation. I doubt that the voices were removed for easy pirating, since the whole game is about 8megs total. There may be some setup issues you'll have to work through (may take some trial and error). There are a lot of settings you can change in DOSBox, as well as installation settings for the game itself. I'll give it a try when I get done with work tonight and see if I can come up with anything, otherwise, it might be a good idea to check The Underdogs Forums since there are certainly more people there that will understand both DOSBox and the game you are trying to play. There are a few threads on Eagle Eye Mysteries in London there already, but I didn't dig through any of them. I'm sure someone there can help you out, though.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Thanks, everyone!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.