FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A statistical question...

Author Topic: A statistical question...
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
First, allow me to explain the context. Someone I know who instructs in media studies (for A-levels, I think) posted a link to this story on her blog. Not just the link, but a certain tone that is becoming all too familiar to me-- the popular idea that Americans are stupid (or equating an American with all the actions of his or her government). *sigh*

It got me thinking (which I do quite a lot, despite the geographic location of my birth *sigh* ) about the popularity of America-bashing and my own astonishment at how our culture seems to glorify stupidity.

A few days agom I hurt my back and was instructed to stay in bed for a day. I finished the book I was reading and was bored, so looked to see what was on TV. America's Most Smartest Model *shudder* and that glut of shows in which a house full of girls or guys (or girls AND guys) are competing to be someone's lover.

O_O

I had NO IDEA pop culture had gotten that bad. I know that part of it is that we like to see skinny, attractive people act like idiots because it makes the rest of us feel superior. The above story was also reported in American news, with similar humor.

I'm not sure if it counts as willfull ignorance, low intelligence or some mix of the two. (I believe that even the smartest people do and say stupid things on occasion.)

My question is this: Do I. Q. scores actually follow the bell curve? Statistically, what percentage of any given population should be below average intelligence? Above average intelligence?

If there are approximately 300 million people in America, how many of them are likely to be out-smarted by, say, a sheep dog? How many of them would have high intelligence?

My Google-fu is weak. I'm still looking, but I figured someone here would know where i could find actual data instead of a bell curve chart with "This graph does not represent information from any study" written below it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ Description % of Population
130+ Very superior 2.2%
120-129 Superior 6.7%
110-119 High average 16.1%
90-109 Average 50%
80-89 Low average 16.1%
70-79 Borderline 6.7%
Below 70 Extremely low 2.2%

http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
And they vote.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
And they vote.

And they vote?

Are you saying that you feel that people with below average intelligences should not vote? Because I have to disagree with you on that.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she's saying that it's unfortunate that they vote, not that they shouldn't do it.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
She saying that it is unthinkable that some smart could have voted for Bush. Haven't you noticed that general implication over the last several years?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
130+ is superior? I think they need a few more divisions.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for that, JT, is that the test gets increasingly inaccurate at the far ends of the curve. The further you get above 130, the less meaningful the numbers are.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Statistically, what percentage of any given population should be below average intelligence? Above average intelligence?
About half above and half below.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [Smile]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the exact same thing...
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hallow: That's not what I was saying.

I also wasn't saying that the below average shouldn't be allowed to vote.

But it is sort of a fundamental flaw of democracy.

But then, if you had more of a meritocracy you'd have the same flaw because even smart people are stupid a frighteningly high percentage of the time.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do I. Q. scores actually follow the bell curve? Statistically, what percentage of any given population should be below average intelligence? Above average intelligence?
IQ tests are designed to generate a bell curve or Gaussian distribution when given to a large enough sample or subset of a population. So IQ scores actually do follow the bell curve, approximately. The tests are also renormalized every few years so 100 remains the average IQ.

As to the stupidity of pop culture, maybe it's because we peaked in the 90s--it's all downhill from here. [Confused]

This thread reminds me of post I saw on Sadly, NO the other day mocking a book blurb.
The blurb was "“God didn’t create you to be average. You were created to excel!”

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see how the quality or integrity of our television reflects our intelligence level...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but one might see how the ratings might say something about us.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be worth pointing out that while IQ does correlate (not perfectly, by any means) with success in academia and in business, it does not correlate with good taste in entertainment. So you may be asking the wrong question.

Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if high-IQ people might not watch less television than the average. I, for one, absolutely cannot abide television because the rate of information transfer is so low. It's like reading over someone's shoulder, and by the time you're done with the page, they're still on the first sentence. Which is why I don't often read over people's shoulders, either. The actual quality of the information is quite irrelevant to this.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch television anymore, but I don't think it's because of my intelligence. It's because I realized how much it beats me up emotionally. Why do people watch it, then? Because it distracts them. I wouldn't say this is always a bad thing. It's just not a luxury I can afford.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
I don't really see how the quality or integrity of our television reflects our intelligence level...

But it does effect how people in other countries think about us when we export it, which we do.

I think my point was that our pop culture glorifies stupidity. I mean, we DO give awards for excellence in many different fields, but the only ones televised are sports and entertainment related (I include beauty pageants in 'entertainment').

This really stems from a conversation at a cocktail party. I asked a fellow where he hailed from, knowing he was English. He said "Northampton," and I nodded. He immediately mocked me, "Don't act like you know where that is."

Actually, one of the ladies who minded me when I was child was from Northampton, so I'd heard of it. I just laughed and smiled and didn't tell him that, because he struck me as rather a low class thug, and it was never my job to enlighten him. (A study my husband read recently said that Brits are more likely to be scornful and dismissive to your face, while Americans are more likely to be polite in public and pretend to like you even if they don't. I don't know if it's generally true, but I know I was brought up to be polite whenever possible.)

As to the "average" thing, the bell curves I saw always labeled a section of the middle portion as "average" so I was referring to the range of average, not the dead-center point. I think you understood that ( [Wink] ) but just to be clear.

I'm actually making props for a comic monologue that will deliberately play with the numbers for a laugh. I just wanted to start with middling accurate figures. I have a very low opinion of that sort of testing, truth be told. *shrug* Which is why I intend to make fun of it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This really stems from a conversation at a cocktail party. I asked a fellow where he hailed from, knowing he was English. He said "Northampton," and I nodded. He immediately mocked me, "Don't act like you know where that is."
I was treated like that occassionally in Canada... One time, a ten-year-old boy said to me, "Just because Bush is your president doesn't mean you can rule the world."
I replied with something along the lines of, "Um... okay."

There was a general sense of snobbery towards America, although most people were sensible about it. My response to the snobbery was to simply act like myself -- a smart, informed, friendly, quiet person -- and to trust that any person worth talking to would treat me like a decent person even though I was American.

To me, America is so huge that it seems impossible to put all Americans into any one category -- I don't even consider being American part of my identity. It's not important to me at all.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
[QUOTE] One time, a ten-year-old boy said to me, "Just because Bush is your president doesn't mean you can rule the world."

He's right. After Bush leaves office in 2009 we'll still rule the world.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't England come up with 'The Villa'?

I don't know of many foreign shows, but from the ones I've seen (Like 'The Villa'), it seems to me that other countries' pop-culture glorifies stupidity as much as ours does.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.