FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MS Word Replacement?

Author Topic: MS Word Replacement?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have MS word, but remember hearing talk around here of a similar program that is free. I've got to get some work done on my abstract, and would prefer not to have to walk to the library. Any advice?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing that comes to mind is Google Documents. The software is built in to the web site...

http://docs.google.com/

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Open office.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
Open office.

Seconded. I use Word, but Open Office is a decent alternative.

But I've never used Google Documents, so I wouldn't know which is better.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hate to support Microsoft, I have to say that Open Office classifies as a passable alternative, not a decent one to Word.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
Open office.

Agreed. While Open Office isn't really a good replacement for office as a whole (especially their powerpoint alternative), the Open Office writer is good enough to serve as a replacement.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Google Documents is okay (limited, but functional), but if you later want to paste it into Word, there are formatting issues.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a thread not too long ago that I mentioned star office, open office, and lotus symphony. Star office and lotus symphony are offshoots from open office, also star office is included with the google pack. Open office is the most popular, so I'd try that first.

I currently use microsoft office '03, but if I got a new computer (at least a windows xp anyway) I'd go with open office. Not only because of the price of microsoft office '07, but because I hate the .docx format garbage as well.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you don't have to use the ".docx format garbage" if you don't want to. [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I like Open Office so far. It seems to be what I want/need and it doesn't cost anything. The sad thing is that I just submitted my abstract without the edit I needed to do, and then had to shamefacedly send it again. [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put an additional plug in for Open Office.

It's not perfect, but it's not Microsoft either! [Wink]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Open office kicks the crap out of microsoft word, and is WAY more stable. And its free. And documents take up about 1/10 the space of document files.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Google docs aren't available when Google is having technical issues. I've used them a few times, but prefer to use Open Office when I'm creating documents I know I will be accessing at home. Open Office has done everything I've needed it to do.

On the other hand, I can open a Word document attachment and edit it in Google docs. My sister sent me a couple she wanted printed out and I can't put open office on my computer at work. The IT guy would let me, but the PCs in the newsroom were purchased because of fear of the millenium bug, so they are all 7+ years old. So, Google Docs are good in that situation.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Open office kicks the crap out of microsoft word, and is WAY more stable.
Neither part of this is true in my experience. Word has been totally stable for me since at least the 2000 release. Word has been faster on each machine I've tried both on.

Many of the features I need daily are better in Word - Outlining at the top of the list.

Still, I suspect that for most people's word processing needs, the features where Word is better are not that important to the day-to-day experience.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, I think you're a college student so you probably can get a free download of office from your university, or buy one for around $20 in the bookstore.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Only faculty can get the Word for free, but, oddly enough, I could get the whole Adobe CS2 suite for free for on campus use which seems like more of a luxury. And I need to keep costs down; if I can avoid spending that $20, the better.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Open Office Writer is a good choice. I've been using it for quite a while and don't have much bad to say about it, except that it seems to crash my computer if I leave it open when I put my computer to sleep.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not fair, I'd pick the CS2 suite too.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Open Office Writer. If you don't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, just go for Open Office's Writer.

You can save the documents as .doc and use them on Microsoft Word on other computers. It's pretty handy, and completely free.

Also, it has the traditional MS Word interface--unlike what I've seen with MS Word 2007... That jumbled mess should just be avoided.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Google Docs is nice, and I do use their spreadsheet software fairly often. But it tends to be slow, which can be annoying.

I ditto OpenOffice. If you're using a Mac, use NeoOffice instead, which runs much better on Macs than OpenOffice does.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I agree that the new MS word format is just *weird*. What usability studies led to it I must wonder.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Notepad.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
College students can get it free? Is this for specific colleges? Is there some limited use?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Some colleges and universities have a deal with MS where students can gain access to a copy for just the costs of making the copy + administering the program (typically $20 for a copy, or somesuch).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Mine now has it, last year they didn't. IU has (or at least last i heard) it so you can buy a copy for the $20 ish figure, or you could get a free download, with no cds or help.
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was in school, you could get cheap "student" versions, which were full featured versions but which were fixed(?) so that you couldn't upgrade to a newer version later.

Is that still the case?

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They still have student versions, but while they're cheaper, I wouldn't call them cheap, for most students.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.