FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy worlds involving children (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fantasy worlds involving children
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned The Dark is Rising Sequence? While Will and Bran turn out to be the Sign-Seeker and Pendragon, Jane and her brothers are ordinary children. More or less. And they all end up visiting some very mythic places, most in the past or outside of time.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
And (*smacks forehead) the Dark is Rising (1973), et al

Yep. [Smile]

We need a list so that new readers don't have to slog through every post.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The following is a list of the titles of books, movies, or other forms of stories that have been mentioned in this thread so far. These items may have been published post-1978 and/or be not applicable to Chris' request, but they have been mentioned.

quote:
Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars
Alice in Wonderland
[& Through the Looking Glass, presumably]
Abadazad
Bedknobs and Broomsticks (Magic Bed-Knob; or How to Become a Witch In Ten Easy Lessons
and Bonfires and Broomsticks)
BFG, The
Bridge to Terebithia
Captain N the Gamemaster
Cat Returns, The
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Great Glass Elevator
Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang (The Magic Car)
Christmas TV specials
Coraline
Courtney Crumrin
Dark is Rising
series
Darwath
trilogy
Escape to Witch Mountain
Far Out Space Nuts
Farthest-Away Mountain, The
Fog Magic
Forgotten Door, The
Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything, The
Half-Magic
Hansel and Gretel
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Harry Potter series
HR Puffinstuff
James and the Giant Peach
Knee Deep in Thunder
Knight's Castle,
Knock Three Times
Labyrinth
Land of the Lost
Lavender-Green Magic (
and others in the Andre Norton Magic series)
Lidsville
Little Nemo
Lost Saucer
Magic by the Lake
Magic Faraway Tree
series
Magic Meadow, The
Magic or Not?
Magic Tears
Mary Poppins
Mirrormask
Miss Hickory
Mural Master, The
Narnia series
Neverending Story, The
Neverwhere
No Flying in the House
Old Tobacco Shop : A True Account of What Befell a Little Boy in Search of Adventure
Once and Future King, The
Pan's Labyrinth
Perilous Guard, The
Peter Pan
Phantom Tollbooth, The
Princess and the Goblin, The
Scary Godmother
Secret Country
series
Secret Garden, The
Secrets of the Shopping Mall
Seven-Day Magic
Sir MacHinery
Snow Queen, The
Star Wars
Talisman, The
Tellos
Time Garden
Tom Swift
series
Tom's Midnight Garden
Valley of the Dinosaurs
Vision of Escaflowne
anime series
Well-Wishers, The
Where the Wild Things Are
Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden, The
Winnie the Pooh
series
Wizard of Oz
series
Wizard, the Witch and Two Girls From Jersey, The
Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, The
Wrinkle in Time, et al
Xanth
series

Please do let me know if I missed something.

[ November 03, 2007, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Sadly not written in 1978 is Lisa Papademetriou's The Wizard, the Witch and Two Girls From Jersey. A pity...it manages to poke fun at every element of the genre while simultaneously celebrating it. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Which makes me wonder when The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything was written and when it came out as a movie. Not really a children's story, but one she might have seen her parents watch.

Puffy Treat, I'll add yours to the list and go read up on it. The title sounds fun.

---

Edited to add: TGTGW&E came out as a novel in 1962, but the movie didn't come out until 1980.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

From recent graphic novels we have some excellent examples of "children visiting a fantasy world"...but the 'recent' means they don't apply. Alas, alas.

Still, Scary Godmother, Tellos, Courtney Crumrin, and Abadazad are all worth checking out.

As is the somewhat more teen oriented The Vision of Escaflowne anime series.

And Studio Ghibli's The Cat Returns!

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The book I was trying to remember was "The Forgotten Door" by Alexander Key. Wikipedia has a list of his books.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

List updated.

---

I am disturbed by how absurdly gratifying I find the making of such lists.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one where the main character was trapped in a mall and all the manikins came to life. The Secret of the Shopping Mall or something like that.

Aside: CT, in case you're following this thread, are you currently open to receiving e-mail or PM? If you don't want to post your contact info, you can email me by replacing the "w" in my username with my entire (married) last name and adding AT cox DOT net.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I forgot a true classic: The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson. The further Gerta travels in search of Kay, the more fantastical and strange the country gets.
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
Edgar Eager and E. Nesbit both wrote fantasies involving child protagonists.

Funny that Amazon doesn't have the original publications dates, but a description says that Eager has been read for 40 years, and E. Nesbit is clearly one of his favorite authors. I think that Nesbit dates back to the 1900's.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn-sama
Member # 11096

- posted      Profile for Eowyn-sama   Email Eowyn-sama         Edit/Delete Post 
Knock Three Times by Marion St. John Webb, 1973
Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, for sure, Dana. I'm emailing you now. My address that is will come from is from gmail via account ID <my first name> DOT <my last name>. Let me know if you don't get it right away.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

List updated except for swbarnes2's authors. (Do you happen to have titles on hand? [Smile] )

---

Edited to add: I typed "Edgar Eager" into Amazon and got The X-Rated Videotape Star Index III (X-Rated Videotape Star Index) as the first returnn, so I'm just going to wait on your specific input. [Wink] )

---

dkw, was it Secrets of the Shopping Mall?

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Edited to add: I typed "Edgar Eager" into Amazon and got The X-Rated Videotape Star Index III (X-Rated Videotape Star Index) as the first returnn, so I'm just going to wait on your specific input.

Not personally familiar with Edgar Eager, but this series of Children's Fantasy books (by Edward Eager) looks like its likely what was being referred to.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks, SenojRetep. We already have Half-Magic, but I'll add Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle, Time Garden, Magic or Not?, The Well-Wishers, and Seven-Day Magic with the caveat that they may or may not be relevant to Chris' mission but have at least been mentioned.

Given that Chris will likely be writing like a fiend (rather than doing much reading research), I bet he'll be focusing on the ones he already knows. Regardless, I'll update that list with bare minimum plot summaries when I can.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I remembered the details wrong, but the cover looks familiar, so I'm guessing that was it. First published in 1979, though, so it's out.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I really the only person to have read anything by Grace Chetwin?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, may bad. I meant the author of "Half-Magic" and "The Time Garden".
Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
The Magic Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton.

quote:
This is the story of three children and their wonderful adventures in the Enchanted Wood near their home in the country. The Enchanted wood grows very thick trees, and if you listen carefully, you can hear the dark leaves saying "Wisha-wisha"!! And in the middle of this woods is the most enchanted tree in the world. A simply enormous tree! "The Magic Faraway tree" which grows every kind of fruit and has a queer fairy-folk living on every branch!! Its top goes right up the clouds- and at the top of it there's always some strange land. You can go there by climbing up the top branch of the Faraway tree, going up a little ladder through a hole in the big tree that always lies on the top of the tree- and then, you are in some peculiar land!
quote:
The Magic Faraway Tree is the biggest and the tallest tree in the world; right in the middle of the Enchanted Wood- and it's very magic indeed! But do you know why it is called the Faraway Tree?- That's because its top is so far away, up into the clouds, and always sticks up into some queer magic land - a different one every week! Isn't that exciting? The Land of Treats, where you can eat whatever you like, The Land of Spells, where you can buy spells for almost anything and such other lovely places! Its not fun always however. There can be strange lands, dangerous at times, ....
I used to love those books when I was about that age, and they're certainly old enough (written in the 1930s & 40s). [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread topic reminds me of The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett; but The Secret Garden isn't actually a fantasy world. The kids do go into a secret locked garden which is like a different world to them, but it's not fantasy. Good book though, worth reading.

edit: apparently, you can read it online. I still prefer the dog-eared paperback, but nonetheless. Secret Garden

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Secret Garden is good up until the point it falls into the trap of much Victorian children's literature: It eventually deteriorates into endless descriptions of the characters stuffing their faces with good, honest country food.

I would suggest renting the 1993 live action film version instead. Far better.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(list above updated)
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Whats up with the non-italicized section? [Smile]
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's cutting it close, but since Chris opened it up to movies and TV:

Star Wars

Edit: Maybe cause it's based more sci-fi, than fantasy. But as closely as those two are linked, I've always seen a heavy fantasy flavor to SW

[ November 04, 2007, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: adfectio ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Whats up with the non-italicized section? [Smile]

I was trying to keep only the titles themselves italicized, and I made a typo in the formatting change.

---

Edited to add: And had left an out-of-context chunk at the bottom!

All fixed now, hopefully.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.