FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Evaluating Market Opportunity:

Author Topic: Evaluating Market Opportunity:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
For one of my classes, I'm supposed to analyze a market and see if there is an opportunity. To do so, I suppose I should check if there are existing stores that do what we would do, and the demographics. I need to figure out our target population.

Does anyone here have any experience in this field that they could share? I have to meet with my team by the end of the week, and we're presenting a preliminary proposal soon afterwards, so time is somewhat limited as our resources.

Thanks [Smile] !

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I was so hoping I was going to win a whistle race here. [Wink]

See how you're going to compete against your competitors, which ways you might be able to find a different niche, beat them on price, or in some other way make yourself profitable, despite the difficulties you'll come up against.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting a few generations which are starting to age and who were the first to have common headphone and earbud use with portable media.

Result: opportunities in catering to the new demands for treatment of hearing loss

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're getting a few generations which are starting to age and who were the first to have common headphone and earbud use with portable media.

To say nothing of people who are growing up thinking that guitars are supposed to sound like the speaker cone is cracked.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I'm especially looking for, dunno, websites or magazines that analyze market trends. Something I can read and use to support my business plan.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Something to think about: if a specific market opportunity is being talked about in magazines or on major websites, is it a very promising market opportunity [Wink] ?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Does your school have a subscription to MRI+/Mediamark? They have a whole ton of demographic information.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you loooking at any particular area? If you give a few more details about your chosen product/marketplace maybe I can give you some pointers.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

My school is pretty well off, and I've been enjoying the free articles at Nature and other medical journals. Hopefully MRI+/Mediamark will also work, thanks!

The general idea is selling arts/crafts/things made by people with problems in the local community and giving a portion of proceeds back.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Could you focus in more on who "people with problems in the local community" are?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Sure.

Actually, that's a point of debate, and we really aren't sure as how we intend to explain our concept.

We are thinking of battered women, for instance, kids in juvenile rehab, and then on we're not sure. Homeless people, yes, and possibly felon art and art from mental institutes.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it occurs to me that being a business professor and getting teams of students to identify promising opportunities for you must be amazingly profitable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I suspect that unless you either tighten in on a fairly specific (and marketable) group out of those, you'll lose yourself in the confusion. Alternatively, you could try to identify a small group of artists among those communities, and use individual stories.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Tom: I suspect not so much. There are many, many opportunities out there, and a lot of them are fairly obvious. Followthrough is much scarcer than ideas.
Phanto
Member # 5897

Absolutely, Tom. Ideas are very, very cheap...to quote a random venture capitalist, "I invest in people not ideas." And, "I'd rather have an A team with a C idea than a B team with a B idea." Some of the students in the last year did get VC funding and started a business; several groups in fact have started businesses based on this class's work.

fugu13: We do have various ideas for improving marketability. There is a key split in the group as to what group to market this, and we need to get some data to support our decisions. We will end up presenting to VCs, so this has to be good.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Mmmm, be careful with venture capitalism. A lot of old hands in the tech industry are warning against it, suggesting people work on gradually building up the business, and maybe taking angel funding. A lot of this is because VC investments typically come with a clause like, "we get the first $x of money from a sale of the business", leading to many people who founded businesses not getting much when they're sold. Also, VCs tend to be very demanding about how the business is run, which can prevent agility. One guy has made a blog about it: http://novcrequired.com/ . Go read the first few posts, in particular.

Also, I hope you're talking about your target market among customers.

As for data, just seeing data is unlikely to do anything for you. If the answers to marketing problems could be attained by randomly looking at data, everyone would do it [Wink] . You need to come up with some fairly specific questions you want to answer before you can hope to get much out of the data.

Not that there isn't exploratory data analysis, but it typically requires a lot of time, specialized algorithms, and expertise.

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats exactly the sort of thing that my company does. Although by the end of the week isn't possible.

www.buxtonco.com

In a nutshell though, you would do best to identify who your current customers are in relationship to who lives in your trade area. Then find out what the population of your target trade area is like.

And of course look for competitors and such things.

Ack! This is a class!?!?! Well, half my post doesnt matter much to you then.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Hehe [Wink] .

Thanks, though, for sharing your company. In what capacity do you work there? It looks pretty successful [Smile] .

fugu13: Yep; the professor made a specific note of talking about how, although normally you'd want to go through the 3fs first (friends, family, fools) then angels, we were to present as though we had already established a base and were ready to expand. I think the group that VC $ is one of those innovative internet networking things.

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I build linear regression models that will predict the sales of retailers when they open new locations.

We use data that we purchase in combination with the retailers sales data to understand what spatial factors around a business drive its sales and through that build a regression that can predict sales of new stores.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Out of curiosity, are advances in multilevel modeling that are slowly gaining momentum in the social sciences taking hold there, as well?

(Btw, I heartily recommend Andrew Gelman's book on the topic, and blog, at http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/arm/ and http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/blog/ respectively. The blog tends to have insights into summarizing statistical results with graphics).

That's actually a pretty interesting topic.

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Fugu,

I have no idea

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, i apologize for not reading the whole page, but phanto there are loads of opportunities. China is huge right now. Is this a marketing class? if so, which one? if this is a college class, you can use any Market/Industry database to look at trends, like Hoovers or Lexus Nexus or Mergeant. or grab any Business Week or any other magazine to read about them.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.