FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » JT's music -- youtube cover vids -- Christmas edition! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: JT's music -- youtube cover vids -- Christmas edition!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, most of the regulars probably know that I'm an engineer by day. And some of them probably know about my real career, my passion -- my music.

I'm a singer-songwriter (for lack of a better term) and I just released my debut CD. It's available today on cdbaby ( http://cdbaby.com/cd/jtspangler ) -- go check it out!

You can also stop by www.jtspangler.com, and www.myspace.com/jtspanglermusic. Feel free to post here with questions or comments, or to friend me on myspace, sign up for the mailing list, or whatever.

The CD will also be up on iTunes (and Napster, Rhapsody, and every other digital distro site), but for right now they're still lagging behind.

One small request -- please write a review when you buy (it doesn't have to be long, and if you haven't heard the songs yet feel free to wait and listen to them before writing the review) -- I think the ratings can help me out.

I'm about 90% excited and 10% terrified. Or maybe those percentages are reversed. Either way, it's freaking awesome.

[ December 10, 2008, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ordered! Whoo Hoo!

I'm getting in on the ground floor of the Spangler Phenom.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that song #4 (How Can I Miss You) was cowritten with Hatrack's own Tante Shvester!

I should be charging more money for this thing.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look forward to sampling your wares.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam reported.

kidding.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

[Razz]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

cdbaby got another shipment of CDs in today, so if you wanted one and go waitlisted you can go grab one right now.

CD release party tonight -- wish me luck.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
When you play a live show in the city, I wanna know about it!
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The CD release party is probably closer to you, actually. Aren't you in Covington? I'm playing in Hammond tonight. Here's the location.

It starts at 9 -- you're more than welcome to come if you're not busy. But I'll keep you posted about New Orleans gigs.

Shanna
Member # 7900

I'd love to come but since I'm on vacation from work right now, I'm crashing in New Orleans. '

But yeah, I'm in Covington so future shows at either location would work (wow, haven't been out to Hammond since I quit my job at the movie theatre. haha.)

But it sounds great and congrats on your inevitable future success!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to the tracks on cdbaby now - very nice!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Listening on your website. The songs are really great, but it sounds kind of raw. Like you need sound edit to clean it up.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It shipped. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

If you're listening on my website you're hearing the rough cuts before final mixing/mastering.

The finished product is still pretty 'raw', though. Purposefully so.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine didn't come in yesterday's mail. I have to wait by the mailbox until Monday, now. I think I'll put on a sweater. It's kind of drafty out here at the end of the driveway.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
So... I'm up at one of the neighbor's and Adam the Cool Kiwi Dew-d (this is how he asked to be represented...) came around peddling magazine subscriptions. In our kind-natured-niceness, we decided to hear him out. He's energetic, he's funny, he's engaging so... one of the neighbors and I decided to go 1/2's on a subscription.

He came in the house to fill out the paperwork and I decided that it was time for him to give us a little something back... So I told him to listen to the music and give me some feedback. He said it was really good, tried to figure out who it was, he tried to bet me he'd heard it before...

Long story short, here are his comments about Love Songs for No One:

Very Poetic
Calming
Good at what he does

So - then I asked him if he wanted me to put them up... and he said that he wanted it up on the forum (his words) because "I want everyone in the world to know how I feel about this man" at which point the three of us (and i think i heard the two dogs laughing, too) cracked up... Adam laughed, too, after commenting that "okay, THAT didn't come out right"...

Anywhoooo - I got my copy. It's good. Listen. Buy it. Play it for the door-to-door salesmen, shucks, buy them a copy, too!!! If you're smarter than us, though, you'll do it BEFORE they sucker you into getting a subscription (or, as trish kept saying, prescription)... ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

It arrived today. [Big Grin] Very good.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
just bought the mp3 version. Great album!
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. The ad at the bottom is for Doctor Who, which confirms JT's awesomeness.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the mp3 album earlier this evening and have listened through it a few times now. I think "This is the World" is my favorite so far.

Now when you make it big, I can grumpily tell people "I liked his earlier stuff better." [Big Grin]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I am going to tell people "Oh, JT Spangler? I spent a weekend in Vegas with him back in '07. . ."
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Hey, thanks guys! I'm still waiting on iTunes to get the CD, but they don't seem to be in any hurry.

Jux, that would awesome if you do that.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Whereas I am going to tell people "Oh, JT Spangler? I spent a weekend in Vegas with him back in '07. . ."

Oh yeah, me too. And I have songwriting credit on his first album. Which makes me just go squeeeee!!!!!
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

Yeah, but I bet when I say that it gets more tabloid coverage than when you do. [Razz]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
More so when I say I was with you both.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
You are a great song writer. I gotta hand that one to you.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Thanks, SoaP!

The CD is officially available on iTunes! Go check it out!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, they let any clowns put their crap on iTunes these days...

[Big Grin]

JT, is it better for you to have people download through iTunes or buy through CDBaby?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he said CDBaby...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I get paid more if you download through CDbaby, and you also get the mp3s without iTunes DRM (as well as a zip file with the artwork and liner notes).

But I really don't care one way or another. Any way someone is able to get a copy of my music is fine by me. [Smile]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I figured you got more money through CDBaby; I wasn't sure, though, whether sales numbers through iTunes, popularity rating, etc. were important. If they're not, though, CDBaby it is! Do you get more/less for buying the CD, or is it basically the same?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I actually get more money from the mp3 sales than the physical CD, but again, that doesn't matter so much. I prefer physical CDs to mp3s, personally, but YMMV. Buy whichever you prefer, from any source you like.

I don't anticipate selling enough on iTunes to make a dent on their sales charts. If I did, that would make a difference.

I have sold way more in person than online, and I expect that to continue to be the case. Not that the online people haven't made a real strong showing, though.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

My roommate does weekly cover videos on youtube, which I think is a brilliant idea.

I did my first one tonight (you can watch it here) -- it's a cover of Mel Carter's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me.

Oh, yeah, I'm not an engineer anymore; I'm a full-time musician.

And I don't live in New Orleans. I live in Hollywood. [Smile]

Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I was not expecting your music to be nearly this good. Bravo. Keep makin' muzak!
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just listened for the first time to the stuff on your website JT - awesome! I really like it.

Off to itunes I go.... [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to it a couple of hours ago, JT. Good stuff!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

....and, it's paid for and downloading. [Cool]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Aww, you moved??

And I watched the youtube vid and WOW! You have an incredible voice. Makes all the girls swoon.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Thanks, guys! [Smile]

Im, let me know how you like it.

imogen
Member # 5485

First listen through - I really like it.

I think your lyrics are great. My favourite at this stage is a tie between Bounce Back and impossible (I love the beginning of Impossible in particular.)

Tony said some of your lyrics remind him a little of Tim Freedman's music (this is a good thing - we both really like the Whitlams).

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

::swoons::
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
JT, that was lovely. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work. You need a wacky director and some extras for your next one. Like dancing women in the foreground or something. [Wink]

Now, is it coincidence that 99% of the other videos suggested are Justin Timberlake?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Timberlake is a Spangler wannabe.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
katzamboni (6 hours ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam He is so dreamy.
Groupies already coming. [Wink]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful, JT!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Cool video. [Hat]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, JT!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Week 2 video up -- it's a cover or Amos Lee's Arms of a Woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe_CE96BNAg).

Enjoy!

Also, you can now find my music on Amiestreet.com (for free! if you hurry).

Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hat] Another cool video.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.