FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica: Razor (***spoilers now***)

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Razor (***spoilers now***)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching it. Wow...

You know, I was thinking that maybe it would help fill the emptiness of no BSG until April. It didn't, really. It just reminded me of what we're missing.

It was wicked, wicked good. It didn't feel like a movie, of course. More like a 2 hour episode. But that's really what it is.

Now my only issue is what to do about November 12. Havah and I have reservations to go and see Razor in the theater. But she hasn't seen the show at all, and now I'm thinking that she might not get what's going on. It doesn't really stand on its own.

Has anyone else here seen it yet? Any thoughts about whether a newbie would be able to appreciate it?

[ November 08, 2007, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched, I liked it. Although it kind of annoyed me because it feels like it is just rubbing in the fact that they have at least ten episodes probably in post-production or later that are just going to be sitting there waiting for to go-ahead from some suit to be aired in January, April, or some bizarrely late time.

I agree that this is not a newbie friendly film. Heck, it would not even be a good film for someone that hasn't reached Pegasus in the normal progression. It would be quite confusing and mostly lacking the light bits of "normal" Galactica might make someone think that BSG is unrelentingly dark and depressing...I mean *more* so [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, it was on TV already? And we missed it? The Goodlet's gonna go bonkers. She's already upset that she doesn't get to go with me on the 12th.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It wasn't on TV. Won't be until November 24th. But if you go to http://battlestarevent.com/, you may be able to sign up to see it for free in a movie theater on November 12th.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the deal with this? It's in some theatres November 12th, on TV November 24th, and on DVD December 5th?

I think that means I have to pirate it if I want to see it on a good quality screen in high definition: not playing in a theatre near me, not broadcast in high definition in Canada, and 720p HD > 480p DVD. [Frown]

Unless it's coming out on HD-DVD or Blu-ray as well, but I don't see anything about that.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The DVD version will have things that the TV and theater versions don't. All the Razorette clips they've been showing, for one thing. So I'm looking forward to that, but when I saw the chance to see the movie early, I had to take it.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Dad and I already have reserved our tickets for the 12th. But I didn't know that the Goodlet wanted to see it in time to get a ticket for her as well.

I'm just confused because Lisa and Mucus have seen it already.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody going to a screening in Philly? I registered for one, but I don't have anybody to go with.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Goody, they sent out a lot of review copies to a lot of people.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to it more than I thought I would.

Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooooo... I hate you! How did you see it??
[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I presume its available for download somewhere Tel.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Bittorrent.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Bittorrent isn't a place. It's a technology.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh... one more reason for me to check into that...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
We just watched it last night, and I have to say that it was really good. I generally dislike all manner of retconning, but it was solid enough overall that I didn't mind. After a hit-and-miss third season, it reminded me of what I really loved about Battlestar Galactica in the first place.

Telp, if you need help figuring out where and how to get it, send me an e-mail.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
So when do we get to have a discussion with spoilers?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Okay, I can do that. Title changed.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the Asian British XO, she was awesome, gritty, tough as nails. The subtext of maintaining Cains lagacy and returning BS-Pegasus's pride back etc were all fascinating.

Then there's the Pearl Harbour strike on the colonial fleet in dock, that was good.

Seeing the older old series Cylons and Co wad great.

And the most omg! moment was seeing that old cylon hyvrid because he was the narrator for both the English dub Anime Gundam: Wing and for Homeworld(PC).

That last conversation between Adama sr and jr was interesting, the explanation behind the primary differences between Cain and Adama, stuff we already knew but loved to hear repeated to us anyways.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers*

I liked Kendra Shaw as well, but she seemed a little two-dimensional. It was pretty obvious that she was a one-off character. She sounded australian to me, btw. (Yep, looks right, Stephanie Jacobsen is Australian, at least according to this. And she's my age too... why hello there [Wink] )

One thing I was confused about was the dinner with the officers where Cain tempers her previous speech saying she was just telling the crew what they needed to hear. So why did she later change her mind so dramatically? Or was it that she was telling her officers what she thought they needed to hear and she believed her original speech all along?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Bacic must be trying to create a niche for trusty XO characters that get shot by their commanders.

Unfortunately, he gets shot whether he's bloody-thirsty or not-bloody-thirsty enough, talk about not being able to catch a break [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe Andromeda ftw.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have any sort of firm date for the start of Season 4? And does anyone know if they are being impacted by the writers strike?
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

March or April. And I assume they'll be affected.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
March is pretty firm from Sci-Fi, but I don't know the specific date .

They'll be impacted by the fact that only 11 episodes are currently completed.

Many are now hoping that the Director's Guild, who usually complete their contracts up to 6 months ahead of time, will take up the cause and hammer out a deal, whicht he WGA would be hard pressed not to accept. Generally they'd defer to the WGA and then take whatever deal they got, but the DGA says their people are starting to lose their jobs as a result of the impasse, and it's time to settle it. The difference is probably that the DGA won't strike immediately, they'll negotiate for awhile, but it might breathe new life into a process that looks pretty dead at the moment.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.