FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » freerice.com (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: freerice.com
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I started doing better, and made it to 45, then got the word disembogue... What?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten as high as 47, and usually hover in the 43-44 range at this point. There have been several repetitive words, though, that I did not know at first and do know now - so that's bumped me up a bit.

I've probably accumulated anywhere inthe 8,000-10,000 range for grains.

Doing a little searching, it seems that 1000 grains is about 25 grams or so. So, I've managed to donate in the 200-250 grams range, or about a half pound.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I finally made it to 50! Way better than the 41 I was only able to get up to earlier today. Then I crashed, but oh well. Lot of guessing, and trying to determine word origins.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My top is only 41 so far.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The best I've got is 42.

It's pretty interesting - around the 39-40 mark, I know all the words, no thinking involved. It gets to 41, I don't know some and have to start thinking about them.

42, I'm very much thinking, and often guessing. Though some of the definitions are... approximate. Once I figured out the way their dictionary worked I got more right (muscat = grape? Not really. Not as a *definition*. I got it right, but I don't think it is actually right. At least the way they ask it.)

I obviously don't have the vocabulary of many hatrackers.

It's a great idea though.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

On November 5th, the total for the website was 53,847,080 grains.

On November 6th, it was posted on hatrack.

On November 6th, the total for the website was 73,566,480.

Now, I don't think we accounted for 20 million grains all by ourselves, but... [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I average around 43.
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

Now, I don't think we accounted for 20 million grains all by ourselves, but... [Big Grin]

For those interested, taking FC's number before of 1000 grains ~= 25 grams, 73,566,480 ~= 184 kG ~= 400 lbs. of rice.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the word "ephemerid." Def'n "mayfly." Thank you Hatrack.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I did so badly they're invoicing me for the rice.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

I saw this the same day at XKCD's forums so take that with a grain of salt.

Or rice.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

okay, so... xkcd accounts for 19.8 million, we account for the rest.

[Big Grin]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got "grok." [Smile]

I think it's my eclectic reading tastes that are helping the most. All of those words for Regency-era clothing: thank you, romance novels!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I just realized that FC's reported totals were only daily totals; i.e. the total for only Nov. 6 was 20,000,000 more than for Nov. 5. That's a bit more impressive, IMO.

Anyway, since it started on Oct. 7 the total donation from freerice.com is 856,444,020 grains of rice ~= 2141 kG ~= 4710 lbs. Never underestimate the power of the internet and boredom.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably about $1000 in donations total, maybe less. I can by rice for about $.70 a pound. Commodity prices (which is how the UN agency buys its food) is much less. Not sure how delivery costs factor in, but that $.70 a pound reflects delivery charges, too.

Still, it's pretty darn cool that they're generating this money almost effortlessly (on the margin, at least).

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Went to 48 but now am at 46. This is addictive! I did 3000 grains so far. I love this game! It's got lots of words I don't know.

I've been guessing really well, too, when I don't really know the word. Seems like several of them will be impossible choices so only one is left that just sounds like it.

Edit: Made it to 49 but can't seem to crack 50. I'm really addicted now. [Smile] 6k grains and counting.

Edit: 8000 grains, level 50! I'm quitting for the night. [Smile] This is fun.

But why are they donating rice and teaching us vocabulary words at the same time? Who is doing this and why? And is it for real? Will they really donate that much rice?

[ November 07, 2007, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

8,000 grains of rice really isn't much at all. Look at the weight chart posted earlier.

Edit: I don't mean to insult your achievement, my point is that that is how they do it so cheaply.

[ November 08, 2007, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The figure I'm getting in my googling is 10.71 cents per pound. So that's less than $500 total. Still, it's a pretty fun time waster.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
My figures come out 10 times what Senoj's are: 1839 kgs and 21411 kgs total.

Assumes Flying Cow's conversion factor 1000 grains ~= 25 grams.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing definitive here, but a look at the freerice.com model:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/freerice_legit_or_not_its_fun.php

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Thanks for the link, Zal.
Although the site author said "The site doesn't appear to be officially affiliated with the UN at all", commenter 4 has a link to the UN's World Food Programme that says freerice.com is a way to donate to the UN.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, I'm not endorsing the take from ReadWriteWeb. He could also be wrong about his perceptions of the business model. And even if the creator is taking more of a cut from the advertising than one might be comfortable with...

If spending time on the site is something you are doing in addition to whatever other charity activities you might engage in, then I don't see the harm. It's better than playing on Yahoo Games or whatever.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
My figures come out 10 times what Senoj's are: 1839 kgs and 21411 kgs total.

Assumes Flying Cow's conversion factor 1000 grains ~= 25 grams.

Oops. Factor of 10 error. Morbo is correct.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
From the readwriteweb link:

quote:
At the very least, the site has an obligation to show us how much they are bringing in - not just how much rice they've donated.
I can't think of any good reason the site has such an obligation. Can anyone else think of one?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Also...

quote:
it's probably a scam
I see no reason to call it a "scam" or imply that it's not "legit." It's a scam if no rice is being donated. It's not legit if no rice is being donated. (Or if the amounts claimed on the website are false, etc. etc. etc.) Other than that...
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Is 50 the highest it goes? I notice that when I get 3 in a row right at level 49 I advance to level 50. Then I've gotten as many as five (I think) right at level 50 without advancing. Has anyone figured out how it works yet exactly? Does it take 3 correct answers in a row to advance to the next level? It seems to demote me to the level below with every word I miss.

Right now I'm at 18,780 grains of rice and counting. I like this because it's a fun mindless thing to do and it builds vocabulary. The rice donations are over and above that. The ads aren't annoying so I have no objection generation ad revenue for someone by clicking the button. I do hope they give a substantial cut of their intake to aid in world hunger relief. But if it turns out to be only a small slice, I'll be disappointed but it's still a fun game.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

20,000 grains. So addictive. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I wish you would get more grains for harder words. That would make it even more addictive, though. [Big Grin]
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Is 50 the highest it goes? I notice that when I get 3 in a row right at level 49 I advance to level 50. Then I've gotten as many as five (I think) right at level 50 without advancing. Has anyone figured out how it works yet exactly? Does it take 3 correct answers in a row to advance to the next level? It seems to demote me to the level below with every word I miss.

You got it. Three to advance, one to demote, and 50's the highest. I don't think they expected Hatrack vocabulary levels.

I average around 39. This is such a great procrastination tool. I do need to get working though.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

freerice.com is a John Breen project. According to Snopes, his previous project "The Hunger Site" was legit:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/hungersite.asp

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I still only very rarely end up in the 47-48 range, I seem to keep falling back into the 45-46 range.

It's gotten to the point that I've done so many 45-46 words that I have their answeres almost memorized. So, I breeze up to 47, then fall back into 46, then breeze up again.

Ironically, I now have a harder time with levels 42-43, since I've seen so few of those words. [Big Grin]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

quote:
The program keeps track of how many people get each word right or wrong, and then adjusts each word’s difficulty level accordingly. So the words at the easiest levels are the ones that people most often get right. The words at the hardest levels are the ones that people most often get wrong. As more and more people have played the game, these levels have become increasingly more accurate.
It would be interesting to run the program only on the Hatrack subset. I probably wouldn't be able to crack 40.
Morbo
Member # 5309

FlyingCow, that's my experience too, down to the number ranges. I've only made it to 48 ~3 or 4 times. Now that I have learned more of the 44-46 level words, I hope to get higher.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the level 47 and 48 words are waaaay easier to me than the level 43 and 44 words.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm glad it's legit!

I'm at 30k grains now and still addicted.

I hope they keep adding more good words. I wonder how the words are selected. It's fun to learn new words, and these are some good ones.

We used to play a game where you just read through the dictionary until you find an interesting word that you think the other person might not know, then ask it. Each word asked is written down with its definition, and at the end of the game, you go back and ask again to see how many you remembered.

With that game, though, you had to read a whole page of the dictionary usually to find one good word that wasn't so obscure and unusable that it wouldn't be of any interest, and that was arcane enough that it was likely to be new to the players (my family). It was quite hard to find good words. A whole lot of the dictionary is obscure botanical terms, or zoological, or terms from some other specialty that wouldn't be solidly useful in normal conversation.

These, however, mostly are. I wonder how they came up with the words and definitions. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Do you have some words that you guess the same wrong answer every time they come up? I keep doing that! It's annoying. [Smile]

Festinate = hasten, festinate = hasten, festinate = hasten, festinate = hasten, festinate = hasten.
Monad = atom, monad = atom, monad = atom, monad = atom, monad = atom.
Hamartia = tragic flaw, hamartia = tragic flaw, hamartia = tragic flaw, hamartia = tragic flaw, hamartia = tragic flaw.
Geometrid = moth, geometrid = moth, geometrid = moth, geometrid = moth, geometrid = moth.
Apodictic = incontestable, apodictic = incontestable, apodictic = incontestable, apodictic = incontestable.
Venire = prospective jurors, venire = prospective jurors, venire = prospective jurors, venire = prospective jurors.
Asseverate = declare, asseverate = declare, asseverate = declare, asseverate = declare.
Caribe = piranha, caribe = piranha, caribe = piranha, caribe = piranha, caribe = piranha.
Caliginous = dark, caliginous = dark, caliginous = dark caliginous = dark, caliginous = dark, caliginous = dark.
Incondite = crude, incondite = crude, incondite = crude, incondite = crude, incondite = crude, incondite = crude.
Cantillate = chant, cantillate = chant, cantillate = chant, cantillate = chant, cantillate = chant, cantillate = chant.
Duende = charisma, duende = charisma, duende = charisma, duende = charisma, duende = charisma, duende = charisma.
Thole = endure, thole = endure, thole = endure, thole = endure, thole = endure, thole = endure.
Nocent = harmful, nocent = harmful, nocent = harmful, nocent = harmful, nocent = harmful, nocent = harmful.

Hey it worked! Next time I got monad I got it right! [Smile]

[ November 10, 2007, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The highest I've made it so far is 45. My question is: How many grains of rice are in an average bowl of rice? I'm trying to wrap my head around how much food I've actually donated by getting 1000 grains or so.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go below level 1
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Enigmatic, I think 1000 grains would make a good sized bowl of rice. That's from picturing what 10 grains looks like in my rice bowl, and multiplying that times 10 and then times 10 again.

If I use 25g, though, and compare with a 16 oz bag of rice, it doesn't end up as much. It comes to only .88 oz. I'd say for a good size bowl you need to start with about 2 oz dry rice.

Is the 1000 grains = 25 grams a good conversion factor? Where did that come from?

I found this number: 20 g (ca. 600 grains) from an agricultural paper on rice grain size. That gives 33 g per 1000 grains, which is like 1/3 more. That seems like a better guesstimate to me. So I think 1000 grains about 1.2 ounces dry which ought to make one bowlful. Not a huge bowl, but a decent sized bowl. [Smile]

[ November 10, 2007, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Now I know all the words at level 50. There are a few words I don't know scattered through the other levels, though. But it's not fun anymore. I hope they add more words soon. I can't be the only one.

I have done 40,000 grains so far, but unless they add some words soon, I probably won't do much more.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
First try level 43.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am averaging 45-46.

Hmmm....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm totally a 12 year old boy, but this made me giggle.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that it turns out that it caps at 50. I thought it capped, like, at 100 and I was just hammering myself against a vocab ceiling.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I wish it went to 100! I'm disappointed that I've topped out so quickly.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I went straight to level 44 without a mistake, and then started getting about 1 mistake every 15 words or so. But I take no credit for it. I read Stephen R. Donaldson books, and their vocabulary list sounds like it's extracted from the Covenant books.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Lisa, I learned a lot of words from the Thomas Covenant books! That was one of the things I liked the most about them, how many cool new words I learned. I started underlining any words I didn't know in my paperbacks and making a mark on the edge of the book so I could find them again later and look them up when I was at the computer.

Coruscated was one I remember from there. What are some of the others you saw on freerice? That's the only one I can think of.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[edit: I didn't see page 2! D'oh.]

Has anyone gotten higher than Shigosei's 50? I've been competing with some friends and I'm curious how high the levels go.

Though my current record is still 47 and I'm finding it extremely hard to even get that high again, so it probably doesn't matter.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

50 is definitely the highest level. I got to the point that I stayed on 50 almost continuously, so that it became quite tedious. I would love to see them add some higher levels on it, and many new words.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
50 was the highest I've reached, but I don't stay there for long.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.