FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Journey into bizarre-ness: The Pac Man cartoon series

Author Topic: Journey into bizarre-ness: The Pac Man cartoon series
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
This didn't last too long.

The problem with making an animated series based on Pac Man should be obvious. There's no real back-story to the game. No universe. No story-telling engine!

So, they invented the idea that Pac Man is actually a family guy who lives in Pac Land, a place where everything takes the form of a sphere. For some reason a grade "Z" humanoid super-villain wants the power pellets Pac Man eats, so he sends his ghost lackeys out to get the secret Power Pellet forest location from Pac Man.

I recall the visual of what happens if a ghost chomps Pac Man is quite disturbing...his insides -melt-. Pac Man becomes a soggy, woozy, lethargic blob.

The only thing more disturbing was when the Pac People would team up, eat pellets, and try to chomp the you-know-what out of the bald humanoid villain. [Wink]

Of course, by the end of each episode Pac Man, his wife, or Baby Pac Man will finally eat a darn power pellet and chomp the ghosts.

The dead eat you, you eat the dead, everyone just wants to eat the pellets.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember liking this show when I was a kid (between 4 and 6, according to the dates in Wikipedia). But the only image I have of it now is the wardrobe containing hundreds of colored robes for the ghosts to put on once they got sent back as pairs of eyeballs to their home castle.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Pac-Man the game that first popularized the cinematic? Sure, the game at first appears to be just a yellow head and some ghosts in a maze, but there are little clips and such between levels. While not a ton of characterization, there's certainly a lot more than there were in its contemporaries.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Definately remember this show. I also remember the ghosts had to physically bite pacman and he would turn into that lethargic blob.

"ARGH! I MUST HAVE THOSE POWER PELLETS!"

I can't imagine how many takes it would take to say that without snickering.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming Next Year--From Fox Studios--The LIVE ACTION Version of PAC-MAN.

Based on the popular children's television show we all so foundly remember, PAC MAN leader of the free people of PAC LAND must save themselves from the mysterious unhuman menace of The GHOSTS!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the Maze.

With Jack Black as Pacman.
Angelina Jolie as Ms. Pacman.
And Patrick Stewart as Baby Packman.

Not To MISS!!! Special Appearance of Jackie Chan as the Purple Ghost.

Music by Sir Elton John and Fozzie the Bear (Wokka Wokka)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Someone once wrote a short text adventure "casting Pac-Man as a guilt-addled junkie." (Sorry, I can't find a transcript on-line.)
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Isn't Pac-Man the game that first popularized the cinematic? Sure, the game at first appears to be just a yellow head and some ghosts in a maze, but there are little clips and such between levels.

I remember some versions of the game had very brief sight gags, but I'm not sure those qualify as cinematics. I don't recall them giving much insight into the "characters" either. But maybe I missed the particular version of which you speak? [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this from when I was a kid. It wasn't exactly deep, but it was cartoon fun. They used to have hours of cartoons on Sat morning. The Ghost Busters cartoon was a favorite of mine as well. Thundaar the Barbarian. Good stuff.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

The original Pac-Man intermissions were just gags involving the red ghost trying to catch Pac-Man and failing humorously. But the Ms. Pac-Man intermissions told a story:

1) Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man run toward each other, each chased by a ghost. They turn and meet (causing a heart to appear over them), and the ghosts bounce off each other.

2) Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man chase each other back and forth.

3) A stork delivers Jr. Pac-Man to Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Here's five minutes of the actual cartoon on youtube. It's pretty bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMqausZ-mY&NR=1

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
There are several whole episodes of the cartoon on youtube.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to come up with a law of physics that characterizes this kind of thing.

C3PO's law: "Any TV show, book, or movie based on a video game sucks."

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew this existed. I'm kind of unhappy that I know now. That was pretty darn terrible.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.