FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When will we see Asguard tech at Atlantis?

Author Topic: When will we see Asguard tech at Atlantis?
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than Asguard shields and transporters? When will all the cool weaponry come into use on Human ships?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd refer you to the Stargate News thread, but to answer you somewhat vaguely: You'll see more of their phaser like technology in the Ark of Truth movie that comes to DVD in the Spring, and you should see it leak into the Pegasus Galaxy throughout this season, and especially next. Considering they only just got the technology a year ago, and how many years it took to get the Daedelus-Class up and running with integrated Asgard tech, it's not surprising that it'd take longer to get all this stuff worked out. There's a wealth of information to work out, and they like to at least TRY and figure how it all works before they just go plunking it onto ships.

But this question has been asked, and specifically people have asked what the hell happened to all the Asgard ships that they had. And we've been promised answers to these questions.

I'll go looking for the info if you want more specifics.

Edit to add: "Be All My Sins Remember'd", a S4 episode has what producer Joe Mallozzi describes as "the greatest space battle we've ever done." This episode is the 11th, and part II of a three part episode arc. 4x07 aired last night, so, you have a month or so wait, maybe two depending on when the holiday break is.

Expect fleets of Hive ships, Earth ships (maybe with advanced weapons?) and replicator ships too. And the new race introduced of space faring vagabonds.

[ November 10, 2007, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking that yesterday.

SPOILERS for yesterday's SGA

I was thinking, "Gee, it's too bad they don't have Asgard beaming technology on the jumpers yet, they could just beam Teyla and Dr. whats-her-name right out of those cages."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh, I just looked, that episode will air on January 4th, 2008.

I'll keep hunting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Is it just me, or is SGA waaaay better since SG-1 ended?)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Agreed, and I'm not sure why specifically. None of SG-1's writers went to SGA, in fact all of SG-1's writers are going to be going over to SGU when/if it gets made.

There's one obvious change, it's that SGA's budget skyrocketed after SG-1 ended, which gives a lot more flash in the pan.

But frankly I think it's that the writers just came up with much, much better material this time around. You can definetely see a lot more excitement from them this season than you did last season, which they thought was good, but nowhere near the boom in the amount of time they spend waxing about how great such and such an episode is for such and such reason all over each other's blogs. And I think that comes through on the screen.

I don't think, other than the budget, SG-1's ending had a lot to do with it. I just think that in this season, they've finally learned enough about their characters and the show to really take it to the next level. I think you could make a serious argument that SG-1 did the same thing with their fourth season, which is one of my favorites by the way. It's a hell of a lot less vapid than the first season.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I agree, it's that the writing got much better. I think maybe it's because now they're the "flagship" for the franchise, or maybe you're right and they've just hit their stride, or maybe both. In any case, it's really getting good, I like it much better. Last season I could honestly take it or leave it; my thing has been that I liked it when I saw it on DVD but couldn't keep an interest in it going when broken up with commercials. But these last few eps, gee, I haven't even switched the channel once, and I watch it the first showing, even though it runs against Numb3rs! I'm really starting to enjoy it.

I think another thing is we've seen less Wraith lately. I don't mind a Wraith episode here and there, but I never really liked them as bad guys (although maybe a little better than the Ori; not sure which I prefer, actually!), but I really prefer the stuff where the Wraith are peripheral and it's about the story, and the characters.

And Sam Carter doesn't hurt anything, either. [Wink]

Also, I totally noticed that a Stargate fan convention is coming to 15 minutes from my house!!! I wonder if I can swing that... And fan costumes for my kids, 'cause they would be adorable...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm so out of the loop that I thought Asguard Tech at Atlantis was some kind of big football game.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was gonna be about Asgard technology in Atlantis and was both confused and intrigued.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

KQ - I posted about that awhile ago, and I can get you more info if you want, on the convention I mean.

vonk - Technically that IS what this thread is about. Stargate just explains the REAL history better than Wikipedia does. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I can find the info myself, I'm sure. And I think I do remember you posting about it before, it just struck me that they're holding it literally 15 or 20 minutes from us (right next to the Burbank Airport.)

I probably won't get to go. But it would be fun. And Michael Shanks is hawt.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Joe Malozzi has already said that with the renewal of S5, getting Shanks on to guest star at least once is a priority for them. That should be a bright spot for you [Smile] .
Iain
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for Iain   Email Iain         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious.

Now why can't they get into ZPM production at Atlantis? How about drones. Seems to me that it would be stupid for Atlantis to not have a drone factory. Then they could just haul them off to, say Earth and arm Human ships with them. A combination of Asgard and Ancient tech would allow some serious but kicking.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They've come across drones in other places before and have replenished their supply of them. But they can't make ZPMs yet. They tried making them and ended up almost destroying another reality. Keep in mind they've only been in Atlantis for three and a half years, and it took the Ancients thousands of years to develop the technology. Considering they've only known about the Stargate and other things for a little over a decade, they've already made stunning progress. I think the next step before ZPMs would be duplicating the energy supply on an Asgard vessel, which produces a lot of power, and they should have the plans for it on the Odyssey.

But I don't think they have the capacity to make their own drones yet, and especially not ZPMs, it's just beyond them. As far as plot goes, once they have all the capability to quickly replicate Asgard and Ancient tech, the show will be over. With all that power, there's no one in the galaxy, not the Wraith, Ori or Asurans, who could come close to stopping them.

Next week Mrs. Miller is back.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I saw that preview and almost drooled.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.