FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce!

Author Topic: Deep-Fried Cranberry Sauce!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
What, you thought I was joking?

Paula Deen: She's totally serious about a completely deep-fried Thanksgiving! [Cool]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Fried Oreos

They are actually really good. This one kid brought them in at the end of school last year and... wow. Dunno if thats the right recipe though.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on Friday, Puffy.

She was frying everything. It started with the stuffing and got worse from there. I should have known she would get to the cranberry sauce eventually...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] It's like a train-wreck. I think I may have to watch the rerun of that episode today just to be horrified (fried pumpkin pie?! fried stuffing on a stick?!).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the woman deserves a Nobel Prize.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Glorious. Inspired. Uplifting even.

If she had deep fried a turducken I would have been in total wonderment.

[ November 11, 2007, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
Fried Oreos

They are actually really good. This one kid brought them in at the end of school last year and... wow. Dunno if thats the right recipe though.

An amusement park I worked for served these. I had them once...never again. Not that they were bad. They were delicious. I just hated myself after eating them.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
fried pumpkin pie?!

The fried pumpkin cake segment was actually kinda neat. The recipe looked simple and delicious, and it featured a totally random cameo by a somewhat snippy Kermit the Frog. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Fried Oreos are really good. There was a bar we went to in Tucson that served them, and they were surprisingly good bar food. [Smile]

Deep-fried cranberry sauce terrifies me, however. [Angst]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That cake was done. It would have been nice with just the frosting on it. Why did she have to fry it?

I'll tell you why. That woman has a compulsion. I remember when she had some family famous for their BBQ on and she had the BBQers vs the Friers, and at the end she took the barbeque and fried it! She fries EVERYTHING. I'm surprised she hasn't had a massive heart attack yet.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I love Paula Deen, and all her artery-clogging cookery. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love her too, and most of her food makes me drool. And she seems to be just about the sweetest woman you'd ever care to meet. But I don't know how she can live with herself after frying some of the things she fries! (That's the CA girl in me coming out; I also can't fathom ever drinking whole milk and liking it, or eating chicken skin...)
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Those items taken individually might be fine. But a whole meal that's deep fried? I think I'd have a stomach ache.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I make Walla Walla sweet onion rings a couple of times a year. Much more deep-frying than that, I'd begin to worry for my health.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I also can't fathom ever drinking whole milk and liking it, or eating chicken skin...)

After so many years of drinking 2%, I find whole milk too rich.

But I personally know people who'd order an entire bucket of nothing -but- fried chicken skin, if they could. [Angst]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I do eat a small amount of turkey skin on Thanksgiving-- but just a wee bit. And that's once a year. I occasionally will eat a nibble's worth of chicken skin from El Pollo Loco (grilled.) But NEVER do I fry chicken with the skin on (yes, I do fry chicken occasionally.) The only milk I drink is non-fat. 2% I will only use to cook with. It tastes like grease to me. Whole, don't get me started on whole. I only buy it when I'm making ice cream.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
It tastes like grease to me

Hey, a title for Paula's next book! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She'd probably take that as a compliment, wouldn't she?
Threads
Member # 10863

After drinking skim milk for over a decade (over half of my lifetime for some of you oldies), I can't stand the taste of whole milk. It feels like drinking cream.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been drinking skim milk for more than two decades. And I'm 24. [Wink]
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 1%er myself.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I like creamy desserts, but if I'm drinking milk, I want it to be skim. I dislike anything thicker.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
I've been drinking skim milk for more than two decades. And I'm 24. [Wink]

My mom blames it on kindergarten indoctrination. She says she never drank skim milk until I made her buy it. However, I asked her if she would ever go back to drinking 2% and she said no [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I like creamy desserts, but if I'm drinking milk, I want it to be skim. I dislike anything thicker.

Exactly.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I want all of that stuff? Probably because I am on a diet.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
After drinking skim milk for over a decade (over half of my lifetime for some of you oldies), I can't stand the taste of whole milk. It feels like drinking cream.

I love drinking cream. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*shudders*
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Cream with melted chocolate in it!

I actually don't drink milk and that's just a fantasy of mine, never happened.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I kind of want to try fried ice-cream. Oh wait, after that hyphen decision: ice cream.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly Chi Chis no longer exists.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring on the deep-fried Coke!

Seriously, I'm going to try it someday...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Paula Deen? Isn't she the one who says she's "dotting" the top of a dish with butter and then puts huge pats? They sure ain't what I would call dots!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Yankees. [Smile] Y'all would not enjoy a holiday celebration back where I grew up. We fried everything. My personal favorites are fried dill pickles and fried Snickers bars. Mmmmmmmmm.

Whole milk? To properly fry a chicken, Southern-style, you have to soak it in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying (not Kosher, btw). Eating non-buttermilk pancakes was a rude awakening for me when I first went to college. I thought someone had made really terrible crepes.

BTW, I've seen Carolina folks and Georgia folks almost come to blows over the barbecue vs. fried debate. My college friend Charles (from NC) and I had words about it, to the stunned disbelief of our Northeastern friends. In case anyone's wondering, fried is better.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Paula Deen? Isn't she the one who says she's "dotting" the top of a dish with butter and then puts huge pats? They sure ain't what I would call dots!

She's southern.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

For some values of Southern, so is Ela.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want dump cake.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
For some values of Southern, so is Ela.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*shudders*
I read that as sshhhh Udders.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That, too. [Wink]
Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I kind of want to try fried ice-cream. Oh wait, after that hyphen decision: ice cream.

A Japanese restaurant around my place serves tempura ice cream. I don't know if that counts as "fried" ice cream though.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tempura ice cream is right in line with the fried ice cream I've seen. Ice cream, coated with some sort of batter and then deep fried fast enough that the ice cream doesn't melt.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Sadly Chi Chis no longer exists.

In the US perhaps. My sister stumbled on one in Luxembourg last spring (see the end of the 3rd paragraph), and was pleasantly surprised.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
Whole milk? To properly fry a chicken, Southern-style, you have to soak it in buttermilk for at least an hour before frying (not Kosher, btw).

Erm...I'm pretty sure buttermilk is low-fat.

As for frying, I'm getting pretty good at it myself. Since marrying my Mexican husband, I've learned to make taquitos (fried tacos), empanadas (fried meat pies), chiles rellenos (fried stuffed chiles), and more! I'm still repulsed by the idea of using chicharron (fried pork chitterlings) instead of meat, however. I've been served chicharron con salsa verde as a main dish, but, forgive me, it's NOT MEAT. It's not really food, either. It's more a heart attack in a bag.

My favorite fried goodie to make is whole-wheat fastnacht (doughnuts). Shall I post the recipe?

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep-fried oreos are heavenly. You can hear your arteries slamming shut and the fat depositing all over your body, but they are heavenly.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand to drink skimmed milk of any fat percentage: whole milk all the way. And really, I'd prefer to have a higher percentage than the 3.5% or so that store milk has. Some breeds of cattle can give milk with a 6-7% butterfat content. Yum!

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*faints*
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to be insulting, but I think that's disgusting. [Smile] I've been drinking skim milk since I was four or five and anything else makes my stomach churn like half a bottle of whisky does.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Not insulted. After all, I feel the same way about reduced-fat milk. Out of politeness, I can choke down 2%, but anything lower tastes so nasty that I don't even try. I grew up on 2% milk, and when I started drinking whole milk in college, there was a short transition period where it tasted very fatty. Now it just tastes normal.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with raw milk. We drank it straight for half the year. But about August, Mom used to start skimming the cream off to use for Christmas candy. She made (and makes) her own hand-dipped Chocolates. By November our milk was pretty blue, but in January it was almost yellow. I always thought pasturized milk tasted burnt. I couldn't drink it until my Uncle (Sam) insisted that I do so while in basic training.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.