FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do I do this? (image help requested)

Author Topic: How do I do this? (image help requested)
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out how to replace the fox in the firefox logo with the one in this image. Does anyone know how I can do this? (I don't have photo shop)
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
What image editing software do you have?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Well, I could borrow photo shop elements from my mother, or I could download Picasa or Gimp, otherwise I've got paint.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Snag Gimp. I'm not familiar with the program's tool names, interface, etc. to give you clear instructions (being a Photoshop/Fireworks user myself), but I'm sure there's someone here who can tell you how through Gimp. It'll also be borderline impossible to do nicely in a program like Paint.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Or, you know, I could do it.

Here you go. Just did it real quick, 'cause I wasn't sure how much image fidelity you were going for. The two foxes are also not actually identically proportioned, which made it more difficult.

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the exact technique used depends entirely on the tools available, i.e. software.

In this case, the end result you are looking for is simply a change in color, not in the shape. It should be relatively easy to do, however as I don't have much experience in rastor image editing programs besides Photoshop, I probably won't be much help.

My preferred method would be to d/l a vector of the logo, available here, and change the colors in Illustrator. The fox is composed of quite a few shapes, so it could take a while, however, having a nice clean vector for any future use is worth it. [Smile]

Edit: Looks good Eros!

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I did it by selecting the blue fox, cutting/pasting, then doing some blending because the two weren't exactly the same shape. If this were something I ever planned to use again, though, Pegasus' vector link would definitely be the way to go.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
...impossible to do nicely in a program like Paint.

Hey! Paint is a good program.

...for teaching my 2 year how a computer mouse works. [Razz]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

It really bothers me when I think about how much time I spent in 5th/6th grade doing shadow work and 3d shaping in Paint, one pixel at a time.
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Use GIMP

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, you're replacing an orange/red fox with a grey fox.

Don't replace it, just change the color. This can be done with the bucket fill tool. Choose the color you want to change TO*, then pick the region you want to apply that color to. That's it! GIMP allows you to set the threshold to determine how much of a color change is needed at the edge of a region in order to restrict the spread of the new color. Repeat as needed for different colored areas (looks like about 4 to me)

*To accurately reproduce the colors in the second image, GIMP has a tool to pick colors from an image based on a simple click of the mouse. If you open both images side by side, you could literaly pick from one and apply to the other.

That's how I'd do it. Someone else will probably come up with something much more clever than what I did; they usually do! [Razz]

edit: man, I sure post slow. Problem solved while I'm still pounding away at the keyboard.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
It'll also be borderline impossible to do nicely in a program like Paint.

Lies! The Firefox logo should be trivial compared to that!

EDIT: Wow

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Eros, I did shadow work pixel by pixel in Paint two months ago. I've since learned to use photoshop though I don't have it at home.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Threads, but you know, in the hands of a talented artist even a simple pencil is a powerful tool. [Wink]
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Cool, thanks man. I'll try and see if I can do it with the things you guys suggested.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

<points to where he already did it for you>

Is that not what you were looking for?

MEC
Member # 2968

That's what I was thanking for, I'd also like to try and learn how to do it on my own though.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Gotcha.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
No one should use paint. Everyone on Windows should use no less than Paint.NET, which is actually all 99% of people need for 99% of image work.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Paint.Net is a great program. I grew up on Fireworks, which is what i still use, cause I don't wanna take the time with anything else. Admittedly, I should.

Are you looking for just changing the desktop logo? Or also the one in the upper left corner of the FF window?

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.