FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Virtual theft' leads to arrest

Author Topic: 'Virtual theft' leads to arrest
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Kid caught for cracking web furniture. Amazing how the online games can mirror real life to pinpoint detail.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd understand stealing some super terrific two-handed axe or something in a game, for better cleaving of your foes.

Stealing a peace of furniture? That just seems strange to me.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Xavier. I couldn't stand playing 2nd Life more than 20 minutes, there's now way I would even bother playing a game about having a hotel room, let alone pay real money to buy furniture for my fake hotel room, let alone go to jail for stealing someone's virtual hotel room furniture.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 17-year-old is accused of stealing 4,000 euros (£2,840) worth of virtual furniture, bought with real money.
I'm still trying to figure out who would buy nearly $6000 worth of virtual furniture. Heck, from what I can tell it's not even decent looking 3D furniture. It's just some pixelated artwork that looks like it's 15 years or so out of date.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
<blink> You're critiquing furniture that doesn't even exist?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa wins.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's actually wondering what kind of person would spend that much money on "furniture" that doesn't even exist.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm critiquing furniture that doesn't exist [b]and[b] people payed thousands of dollars for.

Anyways, as far as the my comments on the furniture itself go, I would kinda understand if people payed a bit (maybe a few bucks tops) for some decent looking models in a game like second life or something. While anyone paying that kind of money for fake furniture is really crazy too me, it seems even more crazy that the furniture graphics looks so out of date technologically.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Lisa's comment was at least mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But I could be wrong.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
This might put things in perspective a bit.
The game in question is actually targeted at young children. I did see this on the TV the other night, but not in the 'grown-up' news. It was aired as an item in a kids version of the news. It seems the Habbo Hotel game is even used in schools to teach children how to use a computer and also give them a safe virtual environment to play in. They let some of the victims speak in front of the camera, and in most cases the value of the furniture stolen was about 10 to 20 euro's in all. Though apparently there was one girl who had spent 300 euro on her hotel room. No one person actually spent 4000 euro's. Basically the average price for a couch in the game is about 30 eurocents.
Furthermore there is no way to transform the stolen furniture back into valuta, so monetary gain wasn't the motive for the culprit.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.